Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All this talk about Cole Stoudt being fresh fish
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

All this talk about Cole Stoudt being fresh fish

Jul 8, 2014, 6:24 PM

but how about Georgia's new starting QB. I haven't heard beans about and last time I checked Aaron Murray is GONE. So, how will this mystery QB perform against Grady, Barnes, Beasley and two 5 star LB's comin for his aiyeus. you tell me?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like this

Jul 8, 2014, 6:27 PM

http://gifsection.com/2014/01/braxton-miller-threw-two-costly-picks-orange-bowl-clemson-ohio-state/#.U7xv3Y1dWHA

Difference is Miller actually a proven and quality QB while the ####### at puppy U is unknown.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole

Jul 8, 2014, 7:21 PM

I think even though both are pretty "green" as starters, Hutson is much less so, and that's why predictors see him as the better of the two at this stage.

Mason Hutson --- Appeared in five games, making two starts and threw for 968 yards and five touchdowns ... Passed for a career-high 320 yards vs. Nebraska in the Gator Bowl ... Made first career start at Georgia Tech, and led the Bulldogs back from a 20-0 deficit by going 22-for-36 for 299 yards and two touchdowns ... Entered the game against Kentucky in the second quarter following an injury to Aaron Murray, and completed 13-of-19 passes for 189 yards and a touchdown to go along with a rushing TD ... Passed for a career-high 160 yards and a touchdown on a career-high 11 completions vs. App. State ... Saw action vs. North Texas for the first time since 2011 ... Went 16-of-27 for 191 yards and a touchdown in the G-Day Game ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has two starts, big whoop***

Jul 8, 2014, 7:29 PM

I hope you're kidding ...

Jul 9, 2014, 10:45 AM

But, I have a feeling you're not ...

It's called experience, and it's a valuable commodity.

Cole just doesn't have it. He may just be a much better QB than Hutson.

Who knows?

But as of now, any unbiased observer (not you or me or most on T-Net) will look at the two QBs and what they faced and accomplished on the field in actual games and go with Hutson.

Re: I hope you're kidding ...

Jul 9, 2014, 1:49 PM

Yeah Johnny football and the thug from FSU needed a lot of experience didn't they?

Jul 9, 2014, 2:16 PM

I love Cole, and I think he will do a good job. But you are not seriously comparing him to the last two Heisman winners are you?

Jul 9, 2014, 2:48 PM

Nope just the experience factor. If you can play you can play

Nobody said Cole couldn't play ... he just hasn't had

Jul 10, 2014, 10:07 PM

the chance to prove it in real game situations.

I stand by my contention that other things being equal, there is no substitute for experience.

Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel don't have many equals, so I personally wouldn't even bother discussing them in relation to the probable starting QBs for Clemson and Georgia this year.

Honestly, if Cole were Jameis Winston or Johnny Manziel, then Tajh Boyd would have never seen the field at Clemson.

Re: He has two starts, big whoop***

Jul 10, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to He has two starts, big whoop*** ]

Cole has zero

Re: Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole

Jul 8, 2014, 7:49 PM [ in reply to Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole ]

Hutson Mason passed for 808 yards and completed 59% of his passes after becoming the #1 in the UK game. 3 of his 4 touchdown passes were to Todd Gurley. Only 110 yards of his career high 320 came through completions to WRs.

Jul 8, 2014, 8:37 PM

Not sure that getting Gurley involved in the passing game is a bad thing. Any time the ball is in his hands there is a strong possibility of good things happening for Georgia.

Jul 8, 2014, 8:56 PM

Well for one thing Gurley only caught 1 pass for 1 yard vs Clemson. Check downs aren't usually used as a measure of a QBs skill. Be ready for Venables to take that aspect of the game away from Mason. If the pass rush even gives him the time.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:03 PM

Yep. UGA only started to heavily involve Gurley in the passing game after he returned from injury, as evidenced by his having 21 receptions in his first 18 games and 32 catches in his last six after returning. Look for involvement beyond "check downs" all of next season.

Which means if you know it...

Jul 8, 2014, 9:05 PM

Venables is already gameplanning...so good luck with featuring one of your best players in a "super-secret" offensive chess move.

Next?

No one said it was secret

Jul 8, 2014, 9:10 PM

But having to defend a player like Gurley in multiple ways is not a good thing for an opposing defense. The more resources that are diverted to defend the pass equals less resources available to defend the run. Just common sense.

Re: No one said it was secret

Jul 8, 2014, 9:24 PM

If it is common sense why weren't they doing it before? Gurley is most dangerous in the pocket. When he leaves that area without the ball a 170 pound corner could keep him from even getting the ball.

It originated more from necessity

Jul 8, 2014, 9:29 PM

All the WR injuries made Bobo get a little more creative in the passing game, and the eventual success of the foray only serves to ensure it will continue.

So your premise is that Gurley alone will spread us thin...

Jul 8, 2014, 9:32 PM

good luck with that.

Also, please, go on telling me about all the other people that will distract us...just like they did last year...right?

Re: So your premise is that Gurley alone will spread us thin...

Jul 8, 2014, 9:36 PM

Nope. The Tigers D will still have to account for the now healthy veteran WR corps too. Won't be an easy task, but Clemson does have a solid if not great defense.

You're not comforting at all...but I'll give you the props

Jul 8, 2014, 9:39 PM

for the shout our to our D. See you on 8/30 between the hedges...Here's hoping the bushes catch more than your receivers...

It's going to be one slobberknocker of a ballgame.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:44 PM

Lookin' forward to it.

lmao...how many times will Stoudt throw the WR screen?

Jul 9, 2014, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole ]

half his friggin passes never cross the line of scrimmage. What % of his passing yardage is yards after catch?

Jul 8, 2014, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole ]

Correction.....that was 958 passing yards vs. Ky, GT and Neb with a 60.9% and a 144 QB rating. Maybe Gurley was the open reciever? And don't forget the weather was terrible in the Gator Bowl. You also failed to mention the 129 yards to Conley vs. GT. Why are you tigers questioning Hut? Did you know.....

In just two years as a starter at Lassiter HS, Mason compiled 8,265 yards passing and 85 touchdown passes ... As a senior, set Georgia state records for passing yards (4,560) and touchdowns (54) in a season ... Set state records for passing yards (552) in a single game against South Gwinnett ... Helped lead Lassiter to 12-1 record and first region championship in school history in 2009 ... As a junior, passed for 3,705 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Surely he hit a wide reciever or two during his high school career.

HM passed for more yardage his senior year than Stoudt did in his 3 year HS career....seriously, I'm not making this up......do the research.

Jul 8, 2014, 9:20 PM

No.

You've included the 11 for 16, 160 yard game he had vs App State.

Since you want to bring up HS as if that matters....

Jul 9, 2014, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole ]

Did you know:

Deshaun Watson was a First-team Parade All-American and second-team USA Today All-American...established state of Georgia high school records for career total offense (17,134) and total touchdowns passing and rushing (218)...set the Georgia state records for career touchdown passes and total offense by the end of his junior year...four-year starter at Gainesville High School...as a 14-year-old freshman led team to a 10-2 record with 2,088 yards passing and 17 touchdowns...also ran for 569 yards and five scores that year...as a sophomore had over 3,200 yards passing and 1,000 yards rushing...as a junior gained 5,700 yards of total offense and accounted for 64 total touchdowns...threw for 4,024 yards and 50 scores...led Gainesville to its first state championship in over 100 years, a 49-13 win in state title game with 400 yards total offense and five touchdowns in just three quarters of work...had 1,988 yards of total offense and 27 total touchdowns in five playoff games that year...threw for 4,431 yards and 57 touchdowns against just five interceptions as a senior...also rushed for 1,057 yards and 14 scores...finished his high school career with 13,077 passing yards and 155 touchdown passes...had 4,057 yards rushing and 63 touchdowns on the ground, giving him 218 total touchdowns over his four years...named State Player of the Year as a sophomore, junior and senior...Gatorade Player of the Year in Georgia for 2013...named 5A Offensive Player of the Year in 2013.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

But Mason played in the states biggest classification.....

Jul 9, 2014, 12:30 PM

### does watson's stats have to do with Mason besting Stoudt?

What does Mason's stats in georgia have to do with Cole's

Jul 9, 2014, 12:34 PM

stats in Ohio?? Not even to mention offensive schemes...you blurt out BS to try to make yourself feel better about your pitiful puppies....

So try this on:

Cole Stoudt Passed for a school-record 4,393 yards and 52 touchdowns against just 11 interceptions in his career at Dublin Coffman High School ... broke the school career passing yardage and touchdown records that had been held by former Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn(1st round draft pick); also established school records for career completions, career wins as a starter quarterback, and passing touchdowns in a game (5).

I'd also like to point out that his Dad is a former NFL quarterback so I feel pretty confident he knows a thing or two about playing the position.

and do you really think mason's HS stats are as impressive as Deshauns??? be for friggin real dude....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Re: What does Mason's stats in georgia have to do with Cole's

Jul 9, 2014, 1:20 PM

lol! nice spin. what classification did Stoudt play in? Next you'll tell us how much more competitive HS football is in Ohio. The bottomline is you Tnetters ridicule Mason trying to discredit his talent versus Stoudt then when I throw in a few "facts" that prove otherwise you bring Watson's stats into the equation. Please your embarrassing yourself.....and Stoudt.

I'll throw out a stat....Cole was actually a ranked recruit

Jul 9, 2014, 1:25 PM

for Rivals, Scout, and 247 for the QB position. Hutson was not.

you started the spin machine by pointing out HS stats as if they have anything to do with how good of a college QB they'll be. There are many HS players who put up huge numbers who aren't even FBS athletes....

Re: I'll throw out a stat....Cole was actually a ranked recruit

Jul 9, 2014, 2:04 PM

HS stats have plenty to do with gauging a players potential in college and Mason earned plenty of accaloades in his HS career. Just give the kid his due. He is very capable of beating clemson. More especially with home field advantage and his surrounding cast.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hutson_mason_714184.html

LOL

Jul 9, 2014, 2:10 PM

I'm not knocking on hutson, however, you are obviously trying to put Cole down, when the fact of the matter is that Cole was a higher regarded recruit.

Re: LOL

Jul 9, 2014, 2:30 PM

I've never knocked Stoudt outside of he has never started a college game in his career and Sanford stadium isn't the best place for a rookie's 1st game. Could Stoudt beat UGA? ....of course but the odds are against it. The entire game is on Cole's shoulders....not so much with Mason.

Re: LOL

Jul 9, 2014, 8:43 PM

I am a die hard Clemson and after FSU I feel UGA will be the toughest team Clemson plays all year! I also don't think Mason is a bad Quarterback but like I said earlier I don't feel he was better then Murray and Clemson beat him! I think Cole will do enough and the difference will be the Clemson defense!

Re: I'll throw out a stat....Cole was actually a ranked recruit

Jul 9, 2014, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I'll throw out a stat....Cole was actually a ranked recruit ]

You better hope Home Field-Advantage take snaps at QB. He needed GT to think they had Georgia dead to rights and overtime to keep from losing both of his starts. He won't jump start your offense so you better hope he can at least keep us keep us honest by targeting a WR every quarter.

Jul 9, 2014, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole ]

? Do u feel Huston is better then Murray because last time I checked he had Gurley and all those same wr's and Clemson kicked there a$$! Other then home field advantage what's the difference!

It looks to me that Mason is the more proven QB of the two.

Jul 9, 2014, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Mason Hutson has a bit more actual experience than Cole ]

Now, time will tell on Cole.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Correct. Both teams have green QBs.

Jul 8, 2014, 7:48 PM

It's also true to say that one team has a brand new QB starting his very first game in a hostile environment with a new starting RB, two new starting WRs, and a handicapped OL due to suspension.

The other team has a relatively new QB making his third start (but first one within the friendly confines of his home turf) with elite veteran help at RB and multiple veteran WR for help.

Situation #2 sounds much more favorable to me.

Mason has a huge advantage of playing at home, but

Jul 9, 2014, 12:09 AM

I was not impressed with him against Nebraska in the bowl. Maybe he'll improve. Cause lawd knows he'll need to.... Tigers by 10. Mark it down

Re: Mason has a huge advantage of playing at home, but

Jul 11, 2014, 11:24 AM

what? in his 2nd start....in terrible weather....he threw for 320 yards and was a dropped pass away from leading his team to a 2nd come from behind victory.

Re: Correct. Both teams have green QBs.

Jul 9, 2014, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Correct. Both teams have green QBs. ]

Situation 2 does sound more favorable. But flip the ###### to a defensive side and Clemson's situation is much more favorable.

So it is pretty much an even game and it's on your home field. Thus the advantage in the betting line for UGA.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Correct. Both teams have green QBs.

Jul 9, 2014, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Correct. Both teams have green QBs. ]

I believe you forgot to mention the defensive side of the ball. This is where the game will be won by the Tigers.

Clemson's DL is one of the best in the country. This will slow UGA running game down. Though our projected starting corners are very young, with little college experience, I like our chances there. The safeties and linebacking units are very solid. I believe Clemson's 2014 D will be a Top 5 Defence.

I see several 3 and outs for UGA. Mixed in with a couple of ints. Cause by the pressure of the D-Line.

I think Clemson by 7.

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With our defense....

Jul 9, 2014, 1:28 PM

I don't give a carp about UGAy's QB.

Anyone who thinks Cole can't handle this offense is a maroon. I actually think we'll gain more total yards this season than last.

Here's why:
1. Cole is a better thinker than Tajh or rather, he makes better decisions quicker than Tajh.

2. Cole can run the option read from under center because he doesn't need to be back in the shotgun to 'see,' the field. This allows a play develop quicker.

3. I don't expect Cole to have as many brain farts as Tajh.

4. For the most part Cole get the ball snapped quicker than Tajh.

5. Typically when Tajh was under pressure, or though he was under pressure (you know what I'm talking about), he'd dump the ball to his third or fourth checkdown without checking down in designed order. He also determined who he would throw the ball to when he was rattled.

6. Many times our receivers made up for Tajh's inability to place the ball where it would be an easy catch. I don't think Cole will struggle that much.

For those six reasons in the QB area I expect more production from our offense this year than last.

Don't misunderstand me, Tajh was a great QB but when the pros come knocking at the end of the season I expect Cole to fair better than Tajh.

Disclaimer:
If my opinion on the these two fine young men offend you I hereby apologize to you and them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, we got Beastly....not worried...***

Jul 9, 2014, 8:51 PM

A thought about Cole Stoudt

Jul 11, 2014, 10:28 AM

Fans must but never do consider one very important fact..........Players are evaluated and earn there stripes on the practice field. Even more so for younger and back up players. Cole has to go every day against what we all agree might be the best front 7 and one the top 10 over-all defensive units in the country every day. That's very good experience, much more than limited game experience.

The coaches have seen him throw thousands of passes against OUR defense over the last 3 yrs. and consider that Cole's reps until this spring have been with our 2nd offense against the 1st D. Remember too that this spring QBs were "live" in practice

I feel a certain comfort in that experience and understand what the coaches see that we don't. He makes the reads and gets rid of the ball against OUR D. And they say he runs better than everyone thinks. He's been doing that against OUR D!

The practice field is where the coaches see players grow up. Much more than the few game reps they get here and there. I feel like preparing against our D and his performance on the field and the spring games, puts us in a very good position

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic