Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Corey Crawford calls Tech blocking "Worst Ever" (c/p)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Corey Crawford calls Tech blocking "Worst Ever" (c/p)

Oct 1, 2012, 11:06 PM

On the beat: Clemson DE Corey Crawford calls Georgia Tech’s blocking scheme ‘worst thing ever’ ... Watkins back at practice

Travis Sawchik
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2012 5:15 p.m.
UPDATED: Monday, October 1, 2012 5:49 p.m.

CLEMSON – The Georgia Tech rushing offense is prolific in part because of the Yellow Jackets’ cut-blocking philosophy, in which linemen and backs block by targeting opponents’ knees and/or lower body.

Cut blocking is controversial as some believe it produces more injuries.

Clemson defensive end Corey Crawford is not a fan of the practice that he and the Clemson defense will have to deal with when the Yellow Jackets travel to Memorial Stadium at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

“It’s the worst thing ever,” Crawford said. “Words can’t really describe how much I dislike (cut-blocking).”

Furman utilized cut blocking earlier this season and Crawford said it is responsible for an injury DeShawn Williams suffered. Crawford said Clemson defenders will have to use their hands well to avoid and shed Yellow Jackets blockers.
Watkins back at practice

Clemson star receiver Sammy Watkins returned to the practice field Monday after missing Boston College game with what the program labeled a stomach virus.

Watkins had more blood tests Sunday which returned normal results after tests last week revealed “out of whack” blood levels, according to coach Dabo Swinney.

“Apparently his problems last week were the result of dehydration, some trauma to the kidney caused by the physical nature of the Florida State game, and a virus,” Swinney said.

Clemson hires nutritionist

Clemson announced Monday the hiring of Lisa Chan as the athletic department’s sports nutritionist.

Chan will plan menus, monitor the football training table and other meals for the football team.

Chan comes from Auburn where she was a sports dietitian intern. She holds a bachelor of science degree in nutrition from the University of Texas and a master of science degree in dietetics from the University of Florida.
Chad said it

Morris on the state of offense in college football: “With the numbers (DeAndre Hopkins) put up Saturday you would think that guy would have a chance to be a player of the week (nationally) until you saw the other numbers that were put up across the country, then he was just another guy. … The spread offense and misdirection in college football you are seeing right now, I don’t know where it is going, but if I’m on the offensive side of the ball and trying out to figure how to score points, I’m going to look at the teams that are scoring points and try to figure out what they are doing. That is going to be a trend across the country.”

Peters to start

Clemson cornerback Garry Peters will make his first career start versus Georgia Tech after coming off the bench to play well at Boston College, replacing Darius Robinson.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

worst unsportman like practice next to a kick in the nuts***

Oct 1, 2012, 11:11 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but still part of the game, and legal.***

Oct 1, 2012, 11:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like ripping off a players helmet to make him sit a play***

Oct 1, 2012, 11:19 PM

actually, now they are distinguishing between helmet coming

Oct 1, 2012, 11:22 PM

off during normal play, and helmet being ripped off.

or maybe that was a dream i had.***

Oct 1, 2012, 11:26 PM

I too have that dream and in mine that kick from 30 so that

Oct 1, 2012, 11:29 PM

the return game is relevant again.

Guess they will try ripping helmets off too

Oct 1, 2012, 11:21 PM

Boo really load when they chop block this Saturday. They don't come to Clemson and pull that crap.

Time to break out the 2-5 defensive scheme...

Oct 1, 2012, 11:24 PM

Back up and spread out a line presence a step or two to eliminate the cut block's take down action, while adding a downhill element to defending the middle and allowing more space and acceleration to pursue the edges.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

teams who beat GT get penetration from the line

Oct 1, 2012, 11:29 PM

so don't think we'll be doing that

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I 'd say standing up to use hands your more susceptible to

Oct 1, 2012, 11:38 PM

cut blocking. You're both in a similar stance to begin with so just stay low, get off the line quick and blow up the man across from you. Sound familiar?

How about this tactic??

Oct 2, 2012, 12:50 AM

Lets put some more padding on the DL's kneepads, and rather than have GaTech's linemen simply attack first and dive at the knees, have our DL's attack simultaneously with a strong knee to chin/helmet of the blocker??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

knee braces for everyone .......

Oct 1, 2012, 11:33 PM

null

You combat cut blocking by using steel kneepads

Oct 2, 2012, 5:30 AM

I tell ya... It'll sound like baseball season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last year I found a solution. Watching the

Oct 2, 2012, 6:25 AM

Nerds dive at our feet, I realized we should just jump up and land on them. Knees or cleats in the back would stop that in a hurry

I think starting peters is a good move.***

Oct 2, 2012, 6:35 AM

Our players use cut blocking on the outside at times...

Oct 2, 2012, 6:48 AM

legal and part of game, no different than pummeling a QB with his back turned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic