Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cops run down peaceful protesters who just wanted to...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Cops run down peaceful protesters who just wanted to...

Jun 29, 2020, 4:53 PM

have their calm and polite voices heard.

https://twitter.com/DJEazyTwist/status/1277430912653950976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1277430912653950976%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redstate.com%2Fbonchie%2F2020%2F06%2F29%2Fwatch-protesters-surround-police-vehicle-with-the-officer-inside-and-then-things-crazy%2F

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people should be able to do whatever they

Jun 29, 2020, 4:58 PM

want. It's not like he can't drink coffee and eat donuts in his car with people laying all over his car

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cops run down peaceful protesters who just wanted to...

Jun 29, 2020, 5:00 PM

Busted out the back window which hasn’t been widely reported.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They keep their box of Krispy Kremes back there.

Jun 29, 2020, 5:03 PM

If they got glass on my donuts I'd run them down too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are correct...

Jun 29, 2020, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Cops run down peaceful protesters who just wanted to... ]

I see it now after watching it again

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So an armed police officer who had a window

Jun 29, 2020, 5:10 PM

broken out can't think of a better way to remove himself from a situation other than panicking and flooring it and running over a bunch of people?

Well that seems...seems...

...that seems about right, honestly.

God bless this brave hero.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess he could have shot his way out***

Jun 29, 2020, 5:11 PM

That's what I was expecting.

Jun 29, 2020, 5:14 PM

So, kudos to him for just losing his #### and flooring it. I suppose I have to give some props that no one was murdered.

so I'm listening...

Jun 29, 2020, 5:16 PM

what other options does he have when a mob has broken out his window and are beginning to cover his car...

And let's be sure...he didn't run anybody over.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable. What is he to do?

he could call the police for backup

Jun 29, 2020, 5:19 PM

and wait 10 minutes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not saying there isn't police brutality...

Jun 29, 2020, 5:22 PM

but there is absolutely no reason for mobs to be destroying a police car and then laying on top of it.

There is no point in it other than being provocative and stirring up trouble.

And I do believe these people are becoming more emboldened because they know the police are impotent. As soon as the police do anything they are uploading their soundbite to twitter

play stupid games win stupid prizes

Jun 29, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to That's what I was expecting. ]

certainly you would think that nobody should have a problem with what he did. If rioters/protesters every come at me like that I'm getting the hell out of there too. No way am I going to wait around until they drag me out and gang up. That's what the punks do. They will never fight one on one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's what I was expecting.

Jun 29, 2020, 5:27 PM [ in reply to That's what I was expecting. ]

I vote we reenact this event with stubborn playing the cop. Show us what you would do. Can everyone meet up Sunday in Charleston?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would just ease away until all the folks' in

Jun 29, 2020, 5:51 PM

front reflexes kicked in and they decided to GTFO out of the way. Flooring it without providing ample opportunity just escalates things and leads to my department getting sued because my cops don't know how to handle their ####, despite how loud I shout "I felt like my life was in danger". In a sane world, a broken window doesn't warrant you running over people who may or may not have had anything to do with it.

I'm a firefighter. And despite not being a professional, have been in situations far more threatening than this, even with civilians. Hell, one time we worked a wreck where the black passenger was DOA. The guy's body was all BUT severed in two. Dead. Done. The white driver was still alive and we needed to extricate and render first aid to the white passenger since he was the only one who was able to be saved.

The onlookers were IRATE, to say the least. The black guy was FROM that community, and his family members and friends were all merging onto the scene wondering why the F all us country white boys weren't helping the black guy. Me and my brother had to stand on the back of Engine 2 with a can of bear spray and stand our grown while an ANGRY and VIOLENT mob from a rural, all-black community in Chesterfield County threatened our life because they, without any first responder training, thought we were prioritizing treating the white guy over the black guy. The whole exchange only took 5 minutes, give or take, but it felt like it took an hour to talk them through what was actually happening.

In that instance, losing my #### and starting to spray people with bear spray, or worse, my brother going to his POV and getting his pistol and starting to pop people...and staying calm and talking through things...was the difference between leaving the scene safely/de-escalaing and being beaten to death by an angry mob that was CONVINCED we were racist and only there to help the wypipo.

My dad was the assistant chief at the time, and that's the first time in my 30 years of life I ever saw him scared. Those upset people were emotional and ready to take it out on someone. They saw their dead neighbor laying there and us white folks weren't doing anything about it and we were the enemy.

So why weren't the cops on scene? They were! Two or three town cops and a couple of deputies. Unfortunately, they were mostly useless, as are most police officers when it doesn't involve an active shooting in progress. But at least cooler heads prevailed and they knew that just starting to pop off rounds into the crowd or running people over wouldn't have made anything any better. In fact, it would have led to a lot of people getting beaten and shot.

So, I'll stop the Monday morning quarterbacking now and just say that I feel like my experience in the fire service and with EMS qualifies me to make judgements on when public servants should and shouldn't lose their ####. This scene actually gave me some stark flashbacks of the time I was almost beat to death in the hood.

I'm here, and no one got hurt. Take it FWIW, but know that the smug suggestion that I would do better in the same circumstances isn't really an insult. I'll take it as a compliment, since I've been there.

I'd say you were fortunate. If the throng (I don't think

Jun 29, 2020, 6:00 PM

you mentioned how many) had turned on you - you'd be toast.

I don't understand how folks believe an officer needs to wait to see if his life is going to be in danger. If they'll break a window, they'll pull a knife (or worse).

Thank you for being a first responder, by the way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were at least 20.

Jun 29, 2020, 6:08 PM

Most of the conversation and scene is a blur, but it basically took pleading with the crowd and getting SUPER LOUD and SUPER EMOTIONAL with them that really resonated and ironically took things down a notch. A couple of our guys were literally crying when they pulled the black boy out and got him zipped up for transport just because the EMOTION was so overwhelming with the whole deal. There was nothing but hurt on that scene.

I'll be the first to admit that it could have gone differently in a place like Detroit, but we actually talked with these people and were able to eventually de-escalate. Thankfully. It was so traumatic and stressful that me and my dad and my brother haven't talked about it since. That was more than 4 years ago.

Re: I would just ease away until all the folks' in

Jun 29, 2020, 9:54 PM [ in reply to I would just ease away until all the folks' in ]

That's a great story, but the difference is the unrelenting HATE for the Police at this moment in history. You were able to deescalate the situation, but maybe only because they paused to listen. Those folks weren't going to listen and that is my opinion based on the events of the past few weeks. He did start/stop to throw people off of the car. If he wanted to run people over and kill them, he could have...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

come on man, get your head out of your ###

Jun 29, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to So an armed police officer who had a window ]

just let everyone do whatever they want. #### the cops, #### everyone

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the right solution there?***

Jun 29, 2020, 5:37 PM [ in reply to So an armed police officer who had a window ]

null

See above. You can de-escalate the situation

Jun 29, 2020, 5:52 PM

I don't even have training in conflict de-escalation and was able to do so by using common sense and not hiding in my police cruiser.

thanks for sharing that story...

Jun 29, 2020, 6:03 PM

I hope my response to you was not seen as me trying to be combative. It's hard to tell on these boards. But it bothered me when everybody swarmed in on you.

I hear what you are saying about de-escalation. He might have been able to move out slower, but I also am not of the opinion that he escalated by throwing people off of his car. He appeared to stop and start several times before he gunned. But it also appears clear that wasn't intending to go 60 mph before he was sure everybody was off the car and out of the way (he swerves at the end).

However, my real issue here is people starting stuff that doesn't need to be started. If you're going to protest, protest.

I believe it is incumbent on the police to take the high road. But there is no need for protestors to try and provoke an altercation. And THIS is what this crowd was doing.

Re: thanks for sharing that story...

Jun 29, 2020, 6:16 PM

No offense taken, at all. I've just had a lot of feedback on this forum lately and there are a lot of newcomers, so felt the need to provide at least some background of my experience so that it didn't play like I was being a keyboard warrior.

I do agree that the crowd was not in the right. My point is that these situations are emotional and I think there's a way out of it (in many cases) by not losing your mind :)

hiding in my police cruiser?

Jun 29, 2020, 6:09 PM [ in reply to See above. You can de-escalate the situation ]

yeah, he should have gotten out of the car and asked them nicely to please move away

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Nope. Ease away. A car can go 10-15 mph and people

Jun 29, 2020, 6:15 PM

have the wherewithal to get out of the way. Most people can't run 15 mph and will kinda understand that they either need to get out of the way, or get run over.

At 25-30 mph, there's much less room for that sort of judgement.

I think there's a better way to handle it than freaking out and flooring it. I said what I said.

I'm not saying any of the following:

• The cop should have gotten out

• The cop should have went through the sunroof and stood on top of his car while citing "I Have a Dream" by MLK, Jr

• The cop should have sucked their weiner

I'm not saying any of that. Keeping in mind that most of these folks were protestors, and not gangsters putting out a hit on a rival group, I just see a way out of this. Maybe I need to rewatch a few more times, I'm just not seeing the issue

no need to watch it anymore

Jun 29, 2020, 6:16 PM

I'm out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

He didn't 'run over,' anyone.

Jun 29, 2020, 9:21 PM [ in reply to So an armed police officer who had a window ]

He had a option. Get out and confront the crowd which probably would result in death for him or some of the 'peaceful protestors,' or to do what he did and ensure that everyone lived.

Detail the specifics of how you would have handled that situation were you surrounded by people trying to break into your car and possible do you harm, please, sir.

Don't wanna get run over? Don't sit on his car and damage it***

Jun 29, 2020, 5:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR SOME FOLKS ON HERE TO UNDERSTAND????

Jun 29, 2020, 7:46 PM

sorry for yelling

That was pretty aggressive on the cops part, but when you jump

Jun 29, 2020, 7:49 PM

in front of a moving car intentionally, don’t be surprised when you get hit or run over.

I think that's funny as hayull. I love it when the violence

Jun 29, 2020, 9:15 PM

of bullies is met with stronger violence.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The only thing better than that video are

Jun 29, 2020, 10:36 PM

his mistake was playing the whole video...

Jun 29, 2020, 11:06 PM

giving proper context.

he is obviously a noob

I give that one dude credit

Jun 29, 2020, 11:14 PM

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic