Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots commit explains why he left USC's class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Coots commit explains why he left USC's class

Feb 3, 2018, 11:58 AM

Link:http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-recruiting/phil-kornblut/article198016749.html

Former Gamecocks commit explains why he left USC's class
BY PHIL KORNBLUT

Special to The State

Updated February 02, 2018 10:02 AM

Covington, Ga., offensive lineman LaMarius Benson committed to USC last March saying at the time USC felt like “a perfect school for me.” Thursday Benson announced a decommitment, and he did so without bitterness.

“It’s all a business, I ain’t mad at nobody,” Benson said. “It’s a lot of stuff behind what made me decommit. A person would not just decommit for no reason but I want to keep that on the down low. I didn’t feel wanted by South Carolina.”

Benson said he began to get that feeling around mid-December and he came out of his official visit last month feeling he needed to look elsewhere. He took an official visit to Central Florida last weekend and he’s now leaning that way.

While taking the high ground on the issue, Benson admitted decommitting from his original choice was disappointing for him. He said his grades and his physical conditioning should not have been issues for him as has been rumored.

“When you’ve been so loyal to somebody, to some coaches, it’s disappointing,” he said. “Being loyal and they tell me not to talk to other schools for a year. I guess they thought I wasn’t going to get my (test) score. I’ve got my score. My weight is at 315 pounds, the weight I’m supposed to be at.”

And Benson’s advice for future recruits?

“Don’t commit early,” Benson said. “People can switch up on you. Don’t commit early.”

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That should say "Don't commit to the Gamecocks early."***

Feb 3, 2018, 12:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coots commit explains why he left USC's class

Feb 3, 2018, 12:05 PM

It's all about culture. They run theirs too much like a corporate business where you're not a name, you're a number. There aren't many recruits that are drawn to the coots because of a family atmosphere and if they DO ever feel that way, it's because you're a higher rated recruit they want to pamper and insure your commitment.

Did they not let him sign in December?

Feb 3, 2018, 12:11 PM

Good question ... any "commit" not signing in December

Feb 3, 2018, 12:18 PM

sends up red flags of one sort or another. Making a verbal commitment and then not signing in December is suspicious.

When that happens, either the commitment of the player ... or the commitment of the school is not particularly strong.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously took some smart pills, got smarter, and realized

Feb 3, 2018, 12:17 PM

he's now way to smart for those people.

These kids fare better if they remain silent...

Feb 3, 2018, 12:22 PM

after being rejected. Now folks will dig into their lives until they find something that might be considered a reason to reject this kid. Perhaps there's nothing to find but that doesn't stop people from fabricating something and we all know how rumor becomes fact on the internet.

Like the fight between GWP and Bob when Bob loaned her that blue dress and she got that stain on her shoulder after visiting Bill in the Whitehouse.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: These kids fare better if they remain silent...

Feb 3, 2018, 12:29 PM

Yeah I would have been much more up front and thrown the coots under the bus. Pretty clear they dumped him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2018, 12:41 PM

Nailed it.

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=23075447#23075447

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Non-committable offers

Feb 3, 2018, 1:11 PM

The recruiting approach for Muschamp appears to be to throw out offers like candy at a Christmas parade (go look at the sheer number of "offers" he has made for the next 3 years). The problem is that USC offers are not always binding offers (ie non-commitable offers). For example, they offer me and I commit and then you, as I "higher" board recruit commits, I'm SOL...even if I committed months ago and had shut down my recruiting. I believe Muschamp is a believer in the "They were the first school to offer" mentality. Appears to be similar to K. Smart's approach at UGA. The SEC stepped in trying to control it's recruiting "bad press" a few years ago when they initiated the maximum signing rule. They'll need to do something to avoid a similar problem (especially with High School coaches). And what the hell is a non-commitable offer any way? All offers should be commitable (stop the non-commitable stuff)...don't offer unless you really will accept his commitment. Sure, kids can and do change their minds and de-commit, but I believe adult coaches should make their word their bond.

Feb 3, 2018, 12:42 PM

Does suck for the kid. Hope he has a good career at UCF.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Feb 3, 2018, 12:43 PM

Coots shouldn't be turning down any offensive linemen, it's funny to me that Coots think they have elite recruiting and a lot of coot fans are saying this kid would have never played anyways and they are making room for another prospect they are goin after.

Feb 3, 2018, 1:16 PM

I for one can't understand why anyone would choose to play at South Carolina unless you grew up a fan or were a legacy of some sort . They are weak academically, Columbia is A dump (and the mayor can't even count). The campus is a joke, they have no tradition whatsoever, they have a stupid mascot, and will always be looking up at the powers of the SEC , not to mention Clemson . It makes no sense, I wouldn't choose South Carolina unless I had no other D1 offers.

Feb 3, 2018, 1:58 PM

They already have six or seven commits for the 2019 class. How many of these do you think will de-commit before signing day or have their offer rescinded? They may actually reclaim recruiting ownership of the state in 2019 because the talent level is reported to be down and our recruiting is now nationwide. We will probably offer to a very limited few instate prospects in the 2019 class.

I liken their recruiting tactics to going into a chicken yard and throwing several heaping hands of scratch. Every chicken that comes running for the scratch is a take.

Sometimes when I think about their 125 years of futility and ineptitude, a bit of compassion creeps into my being. However, that feeling rapidly evaporates when I realize their only claim to fame is their futility and ineptitude, something they have worked extremely hard to achieve.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic