Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coots at number 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Coots at number 10

Aug 9, 2012, 7:29 PM

What are these people smoking?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/feature/video/_/page/preseason-power-rankings-2012/num/17

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coots at number 10

Aug 9, 2012, 7:34 PM

let them have their pre-season SEC title, best case scenerio is a 3rd place SEC east Finish behind UGA and UF. It will be intersting to see if UT can put a team together this year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2012, 7:44 PM

I personally think UT will be a pretty decent team this year. Coots defense will be trash without Ellis Johnson.

Aug 9, 2012, 8:13 PM

I agree with your implication that Johnson
's shoes are big to fill for us. I also aqree that Tennessee is talented.

Dooley may be done

Aug 9, 2012, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots at number 10 ]

at Tennesse this year if he can't produce better results than 7-5

They are pretty good team who beat us 3 years running

Aug 9, 2012, 7:46 PM

and have possibly the best RB in the nation.

Of course their mascot is still a chicken, in a skirt, but that does not affect rankings (for some reason.)

Re: They are pretty good team who beat us 3 years running

Aug 9, 2012, 7:50 PM

Would;nt put any stock in shaw. Other than running ability. They lost the only receiver they could complete a pass to. Lost their best corner, best d linemen, and top notch DC. Not sure who could possibly think their a top ten team.

Aug 9, 2012, 8:18 PM

You are right implying that Johnson was a loss for our defense and that Lorenzo Ward is an unknown as to whether he can fill Johnson's shoes. I also think you are right regarding the loss of Gilmore, in that he is irreplaceable.

Aug 9, 2012, 8:56 PM

Man what happened to you Neilly? They up the lithium dosage on you again?

Aug 9, 2012, 9:05 PM

Just being honest. Some feel that Ellis was the top Defensive Coordinator in the nation. And I'm not comfortable with Ward. He is basically an unknown as far as being a DC. And frankly I fussed at times at his defensive backs being beat. I fussed about Gilmore at times. However, he was a playmaker. He made things happen. He was often around the ball. He was a sure tackler and a superb blitzer. Not only was he drafted in the first round by the Bills but, he has won a starting position. We do not have a CB with Gilmore's overall talent.

Your secondary was bad under Ward

Aug 9, 2012, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: They are pretty good team who beat us 3 years running ]

I got SC at 8-4, 9-3 this year. Much tougher schedule this year than last and if their offense doesn't step up, their defense won't carry them with this schedule like last year and alot of big losses on defense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Your secondary was bad under Ward

Aug 9, 2012, 9:24 PM

I agree about our secondary being bad under Ward. That worries me about him being the DC. Yes, we have a handful of teams on our schedule who are normally ranked ahead of us in recruiting rankings. I sweated the possibility of losing Gilmore early to the NFL. I thought he might come back. But, he didn't and, that was painful.

Your defense will be good, but no where near last years

Aug 9, 2012, 9:28 PM

defense. I'm watching San Diego play and Ingram looks very good, he is a big loss. Buffalo is saying Gilmore is the next Revis.

Re: Your defense will be good, but no where near last years

Aug 9, 2012, 9:38 PM

I certainly hope our defense will be good. But, I'm not yet sold on Lorenzo. A coach CAN mess up talent. Yes, I agree about Gilmore.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:52 PM [ in reply to They are pretty good team who beat us 3 years running ]

Are you a coot? You know Dabo owns spurrier and USuCk. We've got a championship ring, and they don't. Enough said!

Dabo owns Spurrier?

Aug 9, 2012, 11:28 PM

Sober up and then re-read your post.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chicken in a skirt just affect your man card....

Aug 9, 2012, 11:37 PM [ in reply to They are pretty good team who beat us 3 years running ]

nm

Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5

Aug 9, 2012, 8:58 PM

Defensive Coordinator and, a schedule full of teams that have outrecruited them.

Re: Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5

Aug 9, 2012, 9:19 PM

6-6 might be a little too much wishful thinking on your part.

As good as Ellis Johnson was, he never made necessary adjustments and tended to stick with the original gameplan. Lorenzo Ward is promoting a much more aggressive and flexible attitude/style of play. Clowney will be playing every down and might even play some MLB. I expect big things from Swearinger and Holloman in the backfield. We will have a very deep and talented defense despite our losses to the NFL. The players are fired-up under coach Ward and excited about his attitude (esp after Johnson's lack thereof).

Connor Shaw kicked into high gear late last season, absolutely beasting against The Citadel, Clemson, and Nebraska. None of these teams could contain SC's zone read attack. Shaw went 8-1 as a starter with the loss from a top 5 Arkansas team. Dylan Thompson is coming along nicely as our #2 QB. Spurrier says we are completing more passes in practice than we ever have under his reign at SC.

Tennessee and Florida should get better in 2012, but so will SC. Georgia, Arkansas, @Clemson, and @LSU will be our toughest games...I could see us going 2-2 at worst during these games...no way we lose 6.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:23 PM

Yea I think 6 losses is a bit much barring a total meltdown. Given the talent of the Carolina team, I doubt we'll see that.

Dude are you really taking shots at Johnson?

Aug 9, 2012, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5 ]

He is the reason you won 11 games. You don't just replace him with a guy in the secondary. Also if you're expecting big things out of Holloman, then you're going to be disappointed. He lacks speed and isn't very good in coverage.

Re: Dude are you really taking shots at Johnson?

Aug 9, 2012, 9:26 PM

yep no fear. the coots now have coach ebonics. he relates well with all the "roads" scholars down there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dude are you really taking shots at Johnson?

Aug 10, 2012, 12:22 AM

I'd be careful about ebonics.. given the famous "What dey (sic) say now?" commentary that got splashed all over the nation...

Just saying....

Racist much?***

Aug 10, 2012, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Dude are you really taking shots at Johnson? ]

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

He is one reason we won 11 games,

Aug 9, 2012, 9:52 PM [ in reply to Dude are you really taking shots at Johnson? ]

Not the only reason. Yes, Johnson was good, but like I said he never made adjustments, even when the original plan was failing. We tended to get lit-up by good passing teams under EJ. I think Spurrier made a great hire by promoting Ward. He did a great job making adjustments for the Nebraska game. Their 13 points all came in the first quarter.

Re: He is one reason we won 11 games,

Aug 9, 2012, 11:58 PM

lmao...how old are you?

Are you an idiot?

Aug 9, 2012, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5 ]

Ellis made no adjustments??? The fact that you said something so moronic makes me question if youve ever watched the coots play the last few years. The fact that you claim yall are very deep is another statement that isnt true...yall are thin on the dl...behind clowney and taylor yall dont have much at DE and at DT yall have a lot of questions except for kelsey...your LBs arent anything to write home about either....you wont go 6-6 but take off your garnet glasses

Aug 10, 2012, 5:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5 ]

the 2nd paragraph in YOUR post tells you that usuc's defense is nowhere near as good as last years. "we are completing more passes in practice than we ever have..." thanks for helping us out with our stance about your team.

Aug 11, 2012, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5 ]

Connor Shaw's passer rating got worse and worse as the season went on. Part of that may have been because he was a pretty good zone read QB but unless he improves his passing game teams will just be able to load the box and shut down the run.

I have them at 9-3. I'm not convinced

Aug 9, 2012, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5 ]

Florida or Tennesse have the right guys coaching.

Aug 9, 2012, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Coots will go 6-6 due to loss of NFL talent, loss of a Top 5 ]

some of yall let your hatred of them blind you to the reality....I hate them more than any but 6-6 is laughable for them...9-3 is about right

I confess that my dislike for them colors my judgment.

Aug 10, 2012, 10:57 AM

If So Car does better than 8-4, then they have some serious talent throughout that coaching staff.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:07 PM

guys, we lost a good many defensive players from last year too and we changed defensive coordinators too, just like the coots. preseason ratings seem to be based a good bit on how you finished the season. we lost a bcs game and gave up 70 and finished the season 2-4. the acc has got to start winning bcs bowl games as a conference for us to get good reputation. but the team that confuses me is how can fsu get all the love nationally. they didnt do squat last year. i know they recruited well, but so did a lot of other teams. sometimes it is better to start lower and move up in the rankings. auburn is a huge must win game for us imop.

Both teams have alot of questions

Aug 9, 2012, 9:21 PM

The end of SC's schedule looks tough and they lost alot on defense and their best play maker from last year, outside of Latty. Spurrier hired Ward cause he thinks this is his best shot and maybe his last real shot and didn't want to bring in a new system. Could back fire on him.

For Clemson, we got questions with 3 new starters on the OL. I love Dalton and Thomas came on very well at the end of the year, looked alot more comfortable at the end of the year at LT. But Boyd doesn't need alot of time and hey it can't be much worse than last year and Caldwell said it maybe better than last year. Alot more talent than last year, just young.

Defense line is a question, but I don't think it will struggle much at all. Dabo said Vic is pushing Crawford and that is huge. Said Jarret and Williams are just so easy to coach and are hungry. LB's and secondary will be very good. I see 9-3 10-2

Aug 9, 2012, 9:19 PM

They're ranked 10th but should probably be #8. I know they're our rivals, but they're a #### good team. They've got a loaded roster and if Lattimore stays healthy, they've got the potential to win every game that they play. I hope our lines get shored up and we can meet them in November for the biggest game in the history of the rivalry.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:34 PM

Dude the biggest game was 81 a must win game if we wanted a NC. Their offense is far from loaded. Shaw goes down, they're screwed(just as us with Boyd)but Shaw is alot smaller than Boyd. WR is a huge question for them and their oline is just as much a question as ours, they only return 2 starters as well. RB, they go alot of depth, but must keep Latty healthy just as we need to keep AE healthy. DL is good but big loss in Ingram, you don't just lose a guy like that and become better the next year. LB's and secondary are really average. So SC isn't as good as everyone thinks. I'll bet anything they don't match last year.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:43 PM

Yes, I worry about Shaw staying healthy. And I agree about Latty in that...... will he stay healthy? I just have a feeling that he won't be as productive as he was in his first 2 seasons. I agree that most of our starting LBs are average.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Coots at number 10 ]

Maybe you're right. We'll see. Sure you don't lose a guy like Ingram and get better...but at the same time, when you've got a player as incredible as Clowney with another year of experience, it's hard to think they'll be that much worse. I think they've got a really talented team. I know I'm in the minority, but I want Carolina to have a great season up until they play us. I want our rivalry to have weight nationally, not just within the Palmetto State.

When I said "the biggest game of the rivalry", I meant in terms of the power of both teams. There's at least the potential that we could both be one or two loss teams when we meet. I really hope that happens.

Aug 9, 2012, 9:50 PM

Who cares.

I hope they are ranked number 1 in the nation...

Aug 9, 2012, 9:55 PM

when we play them. Dabo will make spurrier cry uncle. The coots had a nice little run, but it's over. Dabo owns spurrier.

All IN

It'll be a tough year

Aug 9, 2012, 10:39 PM

this upcoming season. Sched Will Be intense. But anExperienced QB, Deep RB with the best in the nation heading up the depth chart, good oline, all SEC in three of the 4 DL Spots. 5 seniors at LB, and a questionable but talented secondary. I'm not saying GREAT season, but def not 4-5 losses.

OVER RATED!!! OVER RATED!!

Aug 9, 2012, 11:34 PM

I know they have some talent returning, but this ridiculous.

Dont worry

Aug 9, 2012, 11:51 PM

they wont be in top ten when its all said and done

USC will be good

Aug 10, 2012, 2:54 AM

DL- Clowney and Taylor off the edge is a dabgerous combo bc u cant double both.

LB- no standouts but a lot of experience and seniority.

Secondary- young but talented on 2 deep. Easily the biggest question mark.

OL- getting better every year. Shawn Elliot is a great OL coach that has really turned them from a joke to admirable. Again no one special but solid.

RB- Lattimore is top in the nation, forget about the knee the kid is a winner whether you like him or now. USC proved even without him they can run it consistently.
WR- other big question for team. No one will replace alshon but there will be plenty of speed out there with Ace Sanders, Damiere Byrd, and Bruce Ellington.

TE- other than RB this might be their deepest position. These guys will see a lot of throws as generally shaw doeant do anything stupid.

QB- Shaw is not the greatest but he seema to get better every game. 8-1 as a starter and now it is his team. He doeant have the overall talent of tajh boyd but he doeant get as rattles as easy.

So talk all ths trash you want about 5-7 or 6-6 but this team will be good even after losing Ellis Johnson, Gilmore, and Ingrim.

Vandy- nice upset pick but not this year
ECU-w
UaB-w
mizzou-w
UGA- w but only bc its at USC
LSU-L
UF- w florida has a good d but absolutely no offense
Kentucky-w
UT- W dooley still not the answer
Arkansas- L they always have Gamecocks number' or maybe just petrino does????
Wofford-W
Clemson- W watkins will have a big game but in the end USC dline is too much for clemson and boyd throws costly pic. I really like this clemson team but LOS concerns me.

Im sure most will disagree, this is a tiger board but i try to be realistic and unbiased. 10-2 this year for USC

Re: USC will be good

Aug 10, 2012, 3:19 AM

We wont lose to them...and their secondary is two deep talented?? their corners afre suspect and they have no dl depth....they wont lose to ark...with the mess arky is in they may struggle to get to 8 wins...scar loses to us,lsu and either uga or uf

Re: USC will be good

Aug 10, 2012, 6:46 AM

I do agree with you about our corners depth. In terms of teams that won't be easy for us, I'd add Tennessee because they have had 2 or 3 Top 10 recruiting classes recently.

The east is coming back

Aug 10, 2012, 11:39 AM

UT, UGA, and UF are back on the upswing, Spurrier will really have to earn his paycheck these next few years. Not saying you can't as you're not recruritng that badly either but still

UT, UGA and UF often have Top 10 recruiting classes.

Aug 10, 2012, 2:55 PM

I don't think any of them have had less than a Top 20 recruiting class the past 5 years.

Re: The east is coming back

Aug 10, 2012, 3:07 PM [ in reply to The east is coming back ]

Im not sold on the vols yet...and if Florida settles on a qb and if they find some playmakers at the skill spots on offense then LTFO

USC will be good, but the coots won't be worth a carp***

Aug 10, 2012, 2:57 PM [ in reply to USC will be good ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA

Aug 10, 2012, 12:27 PM

Hasnt been down. They had one bad year in the last 10. UT is not close to being back, they wont til dooley is gone. UF has a good D but turnover at OC has hurt their identity. Drobins do you research and take your orange colored glasses off.

Re: UGA

Aug 12, 2012, 10:21 AM

Yes Ellis Johnson is a great DC and Ward is an unknown. I would be lying if I said that I didn't have concerns when he was made DC but he did a great job making adjustments against Nebraska and turned the secondary over to an assistant. From all reports the defense looks even better than last year and with Clowney and Taylor as d-line bookends and Wards more aggressive gameplan this defense has a chance to be even better.

Don't underestimate Shaw as a passer. He won't be all SEC or anything but he's a very smart QB that won't make very many mistakes. Lattimore went down in his second game as a starter and he still managed to finish the season with a 8-1 record as a starter. And yes, Lattimore is back and has plenty of talented RB's to help take some of the load off.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic