Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting Trend. Do you think it's a coincidence?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 667

Interesting Trend. Do you think it's a coincidence?

Jun 8, 2020, 8:14 AM

This trend line shows how much the google search "black lives matter" for the last 5 years. Do you think it is a coincidence that searches peaked prior to the 2016 election and is now peaking?

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=black%20lives%20matter

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting Trend. Do you think it's a coincidence?

Jun 8, 2020, 8:32 AM

The spike in 2016 was because of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. I think it was July 2016 for both?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Jun 8, 2020, 12:11 PM

I’m not denying that those events didn’t happen. The media plays a huge role in the blow back from Events such as these.

Jun 8, 2020, 12:18 PM

I assume the media plays a huge role, because that's how we find out about the events in the first place. But the media probably had nothing to do with the timing of the murders.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Jun 8, 2020, 12:40 PM

Very insightful.... I agree that the media had nothing to do with the murders.

Where were the spikes in 2017, 2018, and 2019?

Jun 8, 2020, 12:42 PM

Very insightful.... I agree that the media had nothing to do with the murders.

Where were the spikes in 2017, 2018, and 2019?

Ah...I see now. You're saying it's an election agenda on the media's part.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting Trend. Do you think it's a coincidence? ]

Which murders are you thinking of?

- Jonathan Swift

Jun 8, 2020, 3:52 PM

spooneye® said:

Which murders are you thinking of?

Well there were 9 in 2019 and I believe more than that in 2017 and 2018. I didn't really hear about them and that was the point of the post.

Robertn made a good point that it could be a lot to do with social media and the fact that the shooting in 2016 was livestreamed.

The media has been taken out of the equation to an

Jun 8, 2020, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting Trend. Do you think it's a coincidence? ]

extent on those killings and the protests that follow. It’s social media and you know, Castiles girlfriend live-streaming his murder.

Re: The media has been taken out of the equation to an

Jun 8, 2020, 1:25 PM

I didn't know about the live stream. And obviously George Floyd was probably the most gruesome and hardest to watch videos that we have seen regarding police brutality.

Yeah without cell phones I’m not sure we’d have

Jun 8, 2020, 1:28 PM

ever even heard about Castile. He had a gun, so that would have been the lede.

Jun 8, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting Trend. Do you think it's a coincidence? ]

Murder at the hands of police is a pretty big event. Media should cover it.

The Constitution guarantees us "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". Cops are part of the Govt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conspiracy!!!!***

Jun 8, 2020, 12:20 PM

Jun 8, 2020, 2:46 PM

I doubt it's a coincidence, but don't see anything nefarious there. In 2016 IIRC BLM was being targeted by the Russian disinformation campaign (fake of course - never happened) which was pushing phony gatherings and putting out crazy and misleading statements and positions to stir up angst. They were also pushing MAGA style gatherings simultaneously in similar areas at the same time to help foment unrest and clashes.

You could likely find a bunch of political topics that would peak in search results in presidential election years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2020, 4:09 PM

Yeah, that was from that troll farm in St. Petersberg. (You know, the one that had no effect whatsoever on the 2016 election because nobody ever falls for fake news.)

I saw another one they did where there was some Beyonce protest rally at the same time and place they were trying to organize this 'do against White Privilege.

Probably would have been more effective if it hadn't been in broken Google Translate English. Some of those, those guys were whiffing pretty hard.

The danger is, they've had four years to tweak, see what worked, see what didn't, and refine their approach...and if this Year of Crazy has been any kind of indication, we're in for a treat come election season.

Replies: 14
| visibility 667
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic