Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Congratulations to Coach Bentley--3rd different position
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Congratulations to Coach Bentley--3rd different position

Mar 25, 2019, 9:38 AM

Not many coaches can brag about this dubious accomplishment. Maybe old news from 24 7:

The fourth-year Gamecocks assistant coach is now leading his third different position group. After serving as the running backs coach for each of the last three regular seasons and coaching the quarterbacks for the Outback Bowl against Michigan, Bentley has slid over to the tight end room with the hiring of Thomas Brown as the running backs coach. After coaching his son, Jake Bentley, at the rest of the quarterbacks against Michigan in Tampa, Bentley was moved back to running backs last season after the hiring of quarterbacks coach Dan Werner.

“He asked me if I could coach tight ends and it was basically, ‘Yes sir.’ When you’re a position coach you’re willing to do whatever you have to do to prop the head coach up. That’s your job,” Bentley said. “If he asks you to coach tight ends you do whatever you can to help the program.”

Given his career upbringing as an accomplished high school head coach at Byrnes High School, Bentley is no stranger to molding football players regardless of where they line up on the field. Bentley’s immediate boss, offensive coordinator Bryan McClendon feels it is that experience of coaching versatility that has made the move to tight ends so fluid for Bentley.

“Coach Bentley is a ball coach. He’s coached everything before. Starting at the level he started you kind of have to coach everything,” McClendon said. “There is not a position out there that he would feel uncomfortable coaching. He’s very detailed oriented and does a good job of helping the kids understand all of the small stuff and how it impacts the big picture.”

When asked about the move, Bentley took the responsibility as a position coach a step further, explaining he isn’t just coach tight ends; he’s coaching football players and people. Active on social media, Bentley would frequently post pictures of him having his running backs over the house for dinner on the boat at Lake Murray for a fishing trip.

“I feel as a coach you should be able to teach, you’re a teacher,” Bentley said. “You’re teaching the X’s and O’s, but you’re also coaching life and regardless of what position I’m working with that’s what I’m going to do."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Congratulations to Coach Bentley--3rd different position

Mar 25, 2019, 9:42 AM

"fluid" as in circling the drain

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hope he keeps moving around until he's completely

Mar 25, 2019, 10:16 AM

ruined them all.

Re: Congratulations to Coach Bentley--3rd different position

Mar 25, 2019, 10:33 AM

My favorite part is about propping the head coach up. Sad part is he actually did that with the offense as compared with that terrible defense that is supposed to be the calling card of Muschamp.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic