Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Concerning one and doners like Zion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,921

Concerning one and doners like Zion

Apr 1, 2019, 9:16 AM

Do they even have to go to class knowing they are a future lottery pick? Even if they go to class, is it worth putting forth the effort to pass it? It would have been great having Zion at CU, but doesn’t this whole one and done system seem to tarnish the student/athlete concept?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have to go to class in the fall semester to stay

Apr 1, 2019, 9:27 AM

eligible for most of basketball season. I doubt they really have to do anything in the spring, but you never hear anything about it.

Re: They have to go to class in the fall semester to stay

Apr 1, 2019, 10:52 AM

Now that there season is over I doubt if he goes back to Duke. He will probably go to one of these training facilities to start getting ready for the NBA.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Concerning one and doners like Zion

Apr 1, 2019, 9:29 AM

I suspect he only had to keep fall grades up. By the time spring grades come out and he is ruled inelligeble, he will have already left campus. So it is really 1/2 and done. I also suspect that most freshman athletes on the revenue generating sports only take 12 hours in "general studies" or "undecided", so doesn't resemble the college experience in any form or fashion.

Of course it does. Serious question ...

Apr 1, 2019, 9:38 AM

Do star athletes who are on full scholarship always take the same classes with the same academic requirements and expectations as regular students/non-scholarship athletes anyway? I knew some from high school many years ago who could not possibly have passed college classes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Of course it does. Serious question ...

Apr 1, 2019, 10:03 AM

Do they take the same classes? Yes.

Are they graded on the same scale? That totally depends on the integrity of the school they attend.

If you look around the country there are many college athletes in their 3rd or 4th academic year who can barely form sentences during interviews.

Also, all of the major schools have athletic tutors who definitely give a lot of assistance (some in the ethical way and some not so much) to the athletes who struggle academically. That happens at Clemson as well (hopefully only ethically).

I had a teammate in college who was ineligible for 2 weeks after a semester ended and then happened to be reinstated due to the discovery of a "computing error" in his grade.

He was back on the team just in time for the final regular season game and postseason.

I have no specific knowledge of any wrongdoings to get him eligible but the team suspected that a grade was changed in one class to get him eligible. The individual transferred out after that season.

I went to school with a kid that was a star basketball

Apr 1, 2019, 11:51 AM

player. Years later, a teacher told me that he'd been placed in special ed classes twice (and it wasn't dyslexia, trust me), but the basketball coach intervened and promised to tutor and hold his hand, the reason being that the only chance this kid would have in life was basketball. Super nice guy, but standard high school curriculum was just too much for him. He went on to play for Furman. There was no way in hayull he was academically capable of passing a single class at any college, much less Furman.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 1, 2019, 9:45 AM

i heard from a reasonably reliable source (from Durham) that a couple of the kids on Dook's 2015 team disappeared from campus after basketball season

but Dook claims all their one and dones finished the year 'in good academic standing'

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article194989639.html

as far as i can find, the only one and done to get a degree (and he actually pre-dates the current one and done era, having played in 04-05) is Marvin Williams of UNC

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Marvin-Williams-earns-a-degree-from-UNC-33937872/

here are some one and done numbers - through 2017

https://herosports.com/news/one-and-done-rule-list-college-basketball-nba-visualized

Wow, after reading that Marvin Williams article

Apr 1, 2019, 10:50 AM

I can say that his parents raised that guy right. What an exemplary human being. Have a new earned respect for him.

Apr 1, 2019, 9:55 AM

I'm sure there are some good ones who continue to do what they are supposed to do in the classroom.

On the other hand, I bet there are some who completely leave campus as soon as basketball season ends to start to prepare for the draft.

The latter probably don't attend a class in the spring once they are declared eligible for the season.

Not sure about Duke

Apr 1, 2019, 9:55 AM

But KY basically puts them through a set of college prep classes and then they disappear after the season. So in all reality they are majoring in hoops 101.

Yep, total mockery of the student athlete! Shoule be like

Apr 1, 2019, 9:58 AM

baseball, if you go to college, have to play 3 years minimum! Supposedly there are changes coming to the one and done rule, just not sure what the changes are.

Re: Yep, total mockery of the student athlete! Shoule be like

Apr 1, 2019, 11:23 AM

Remember that "one-and-done" is a side-effect of the NBA rules as set by the league and player's union.

There's not much the NCAA or schools can do about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class

Apr 1, 2019, 10:33 AM

Funny.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,921
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic