Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I thought at the time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

I thought at the time

Dec 1, 2013, 5:21 PM

that the trick play that resulted in an interception on the first drive was a poorly timed call. It was open and had it been executed, we would have scored. BUT, we we marching down the field without trickery. The message it sends to the team on the first drive of the game seems like it could be taken as "we have to trick them." Why not just continue to march down and stick it in. Save the tricks for when we need them. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely agree. A stupid play call, especially

Dec 1, 2013, 5:23 PM

considering the ease at which we were moving the ball.

Re: I thought at the time

Dec 1, 2013, 5:30 PM

Almost comes of as a lack of confidence in our normally good offense to go out and just beat them. More demoralizing than if Boyd had just thrown a pick. It's that we resorted to trying to trick them so early.

I may be the only one to completely disagree

Dec 1, 2013, 6:25 PM

I like plays that get our receivers wide open. Why would you not want to do that? There was nobody within 15 yards of Humphries. Just a terrible throw by Sammy. Yeah, I know he's a WR, but I'd expect anybody on the team to complete that nearly every time. And if Humphries is covered, then you run with the ball.
Just because a player makes a mistake, doesn't make it a bad play call. If we had handed off to Hot Rod up the middle, and he gains 15 yards and then drops the ball, does that mean it was a terrible stupid play call? That's the same logic everybody is using.
The stuff about sending a message that we need to trick them to win is just stupid. You think our players thought we couldn't win because we ran a trick play? That's nonsense.
Also, SC's clinching TD was sort of a trick play. Similar idea, ran from almost the same spot on the field, and they had the lead. Yet I doubt SC fans are talking about what a stupid play call that was.

find my post of earlier

Dec 1, 2013, 9:38 PM

I said the same thing in a slightly different way. We showed weakness and fear by doing this, when we should have just played sound football on that opening drive. It set a tone that never really changed.

Dec 1, 2013, 10:37 PM

Not questioning the play call due to the result. If you can read, I said if executedthe touchdown was right there for the taking. I just don't think we needed the trickery. We were setting the tone already. You refer to their "trick" play, in the last meaningful drive. They held that ace all night until the right time, not pulled it out on first drive.

Dec 1, 2013, 10:43 PM

I love Morris' philosophy and scheme in general, I just don't like some if the buttons he has pushed in big games. Completely abondoned the running game way too early vs fsu. Had no pressure relieving plays in the gameplan last year vs coots. He is a great mind, don't get me wrong, but needs to be more polished from a playcalling standpoint. This isn't some rash blaming of morris, I thought the same thing before Saturday.

Mostly agree - but why did Sammy throw the pass?

Dec 1, 2013, 11:12 PM

Seems like Chad or Dabo have this infatuation with Sammy that supersedes putting the Tiger team in the best tactical situation.

Whoever Slurrier played at QB for a few downs in place of Shaw could RUN and PASS. Sammy has demonstrated several times this year he cannot pass under pressure. Still we go back to the Sammy pass in a critical situation and he botches it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic