Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commerce Sec. Wilbur Ross : RIP NAFTA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 307

Commerce Sec. Wilbur Ross : RIP NAFTA

Oct 1, 2018, 10:25 AM

Someone finally did something about this. Say hello to USMCA.

https://youtu.be/48QY77dRVsY

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commerce Sec. Wilbur Ross : RIP NAFTA

Oct 1, 2018, 10:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some

Oct 1, 2018, 10:57 AM

minor changes but it’s still a North American Free Trade Agreement. It does have a new name I guess for political purposes.

NAFTA has been one of the chief drivers of our great economy the last 23 years (for the most part) and this agreement which didn’t change very much will continue to do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some

Oct 1, 2018, 11:06 AM

We pay 40 cents on the dollar for all goods imported from Mexico, which were once manufactured here. No economy ANYWHERE is driven by imports when they come at the expense of jobs in the host country. You didn't watch the video.

Inflation is partly driven by imports.***

Oct 1, 2018, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Inflation is partly driven by imports.***

Oct 1, 2018, 11:36 AM

True, but wage stagnation is the the biggest factor, though I would argue that transfer of expertise is a close second. Once Mex was given the know-how and expertise that was ours, they became competitive and forced us to compete by either lowered wages or shipping more and more manufacturing there. I don't mind lifting poor countries out of poverty, but lost jobs, lower wages, and riding a $54 billion deficit is too high a price to pay.

In 1994, the US had 263 million people with a 6.6%

Oct 1, 2018, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some ]

unemployment rate. We now have 326 million people with a 3.9% unemployment rate.

63 million more people and less unemployment since NAFTA.

null

NAFTA History:

Oct 1, 2018, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some ]

https://www.thebalance.com/history-of-nafta-3306272

Re: That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some

Oct 1, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some ]

Far more manufacturing jobs in the US were lost to automation and tech advancements than NAFTA. Not that it also didn't have an affect but I think a lot of people who are expecting a large return of manufacturing to the US will be disappointed. You just don't need a lot of employees to run machines.

Say what?

Oct 2, 2018, 1:19 PM

Where do you think all those empty textile buildings came from?

NAFTA decimated the textile industry, mostly in the south.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NAFTA 2.0***

Oct 1, 2018, 12:29 PM [ in reply to That just means NAFTA is still in effect. They made some ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NAFTA 2.0***

Oct 1, 2018, 2:49 PM

But this time we have a Review and Termination provision which means an annual review procedure will keep everyone honest and playing by the rules.

Link to where Canada and Mexico didn’t play by the rules.***

Oct 2, 2018, 1:16 PM

Glad Mexico is paying for the WALL! RIP wall funding talk?***

Oct 1, 2018, 12:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commerce Sec. Wilbur Ross : RIP NAFTA

Oct 1, 2018, 12:13 PM

isn't this the guy that used soup cans as an analogy as to why steel tariffs would not hurt us, completely assuming people are too stupid to understand that home appliances and cars will see drastic increases in price? Yes, this guy thinks you are stupid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, Wilbur who?

Oct 1, 2018, 5:03 PM

WhaddIdo?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 15
| visibility 307
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic