Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Comments from Ben Shapiro on Charlottesville
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,023

Comments from Ben Shapiro on Charlottesville

Aug 14, 2017, 10:03 AM

http://www.dailywire.com/news/19658/7-things-you-need-know-about-charlottesville-ben-shapiro

I appreciate these notes, especially on differentiating the "alt-right" from the "constitutional conservative." A lot of times people will simplify to "left" and "right", but these people practice Identity Politics. This is the antithesis of the conservative approach. Wanting controlled borders is not the same as what these people believe.

I also appreciate his comments on the size of this "movement". In a free country of over 320 million people, having a few thousand who think this way is no surprise. I think we are arrogant or naive to think we can eliminate it completely. Some people are just angry, misguided and ignorant. The only way to completely stamp it out is to place too much control over people. When people say "even one person who thinks like this is unacceptable", I might agree, in my house. Or in my circle of friends. But I don't think you can scream it out of them, beat it out of them or legislate it out of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

"a few thousand" is a gross underestimate of neo-Nazis,

Aug 14, 2017, 10:10 AM

white supremacists, and sympathizers, don't you think? There are more than that just in SC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. Too much minimizing and false equivalence in that

Aug 14, 2017, 10:11 AM

piece.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh my. How do? Can you give examples?

Aug 14, 2017, 10:19 AM

I'm surprised you came to that conclusion. I thought he was very clear in his condemnation of the protestors and the murderer in the car. And of Trump's response. And he also noted that the "antifa" protestors also have blame for the violence. Is this inaccurate?

null

How many are there? And what do you mean by "sympathizers"?***

Aug 14, 2017, 10:16 AM [ in reply to "a few thousand" is a gross underestimate of neo-Nazis, ]

null

That jumped out to me when I read that yesterday.

Aug 14, 2017, 10:16 AM [ in reply to "a few thousand" is a gross underestimate of neo-Nazis, ]

It appears that he's only referring to "alt-right" and not other groups. Even then he only appears to be referring to the internet variety.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know people in Edgefield who sympathize with them.***

Aug 14, 2017, 10:18 AM [ in reply to "a few thousand" is a gross underestimate of neo-Nazis, ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't you type England the first time?

Aug 14, 2017, 10:41 AM

I swear I saw "England".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this^^^ Shapiro needs to do better research. Even

Aug 14, 2017, 10:55 AM [ in reply to "a few thousand" is a gross underestimate of neo-Nazis, ]

a cursory glance at the numbers of Stormfront folks after the Dylan Roof insanity revealed a much larger community.

Details please?

Aug 14, 2017, 11:04 AM

Keep in mind that the "few thousand" comment was mine, not his. Also, his 1,600 comment is a direct quote from the study he linked. ("6,131- Number of unique users who posted tweets to US journalists, 1,600 of whom generated 13,500 of the 19,253 total tweets."). Again, note that he is using specific data about specific activities (alt-right tweet activity directed at journalists). Seems to me his reasearch is fair. I would be more of the one throwing around numbers than he is. And I think my overall premise is valid: The size of the "Alt-Right isn't as big as they want you to believe.

null

Genuine question here.............why do we keep making

Aug 14, 2017, 11:06 AM

up new names for everything. Didn't "White Supremacist" pretty much cover the same ground that is now trying to be covered with "Alt-right" and/or "White nationalist"? Why the lexicon updates?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a great question! I made the same observation

Aug 14, 2017, 11:16 AM

months ago when I first heard the term "alt-right". It's just a rebranding of white supremacists. (I'd find the post for you but Tigernet's search function is awful). If I'm being inconsistent here, it's just sloppiness on my part.

null

Kind of like antifa and ADL....Branding.***

Aug 14, 2017, 11:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alt-right covers a lot more than white nationalism

Aug 14, 2017, 1:14 PM [ in reply to That's a great question! I made the same observation ]

Some of the alt-right people aren't racist, but many are. They also don't want to be associated with the KKK and neo-nazis and other historical white supremacists because they see themselves as justifiably sticking up for white interests ("just like other groups are!") rather than denigrating other groups.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I hear you there, but in modern media parlance,

Aug 14, 2017, 1:19 PM

alt-right is being used synonymously with white supremacist. It seems like a way to paint people with the same brush, where the White Supremacist label might have been met with skepticism before.

So some guy named Jared Taylor was on a video on the Shapiro

Aug 14, 2017, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Alt-right covers a lot more than white nationalism ]

article saying that whites have a higher is than other races and that's why the cultures are different and multiculturalism doesn't work. That sounds like white supremacy to me. The video was this guy explains alt-right.

null

He's not the only alt-right pundit, though***

Aug 14, 2017, 1:27 PM

There is some nuance there...

Aug 14, 2017, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Genuine question here.............why do we keep making ]

White Supremacists would believe that they other races are inferior, obviously.

The Nationalists make it more about this country being "white", and keeping it so.

I think they're mostly the same people, but the terms deal with different aspects of their thinking. There can be white supremacists, especially in other places, that aren't nationalists (at least from an American perspective).

Seriously? You don't see the sample size the least bit

Aug 14, 2017, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Details please? ]

suspect by limiting it to a twitter search? That's not research, that's a couple of elementary school calculations. Can he find out the number of white supremacists who actively tweet? The ones who don't? The ones who are organized locally? Nationally? The ones who think violence is justifiable in their cause? If I went door-to-door in my county, I could find 1600 sympathizers without difficulty.

It's not that white supremacists are on the verge of taking over civilized society, but their numbers are far greater than what he's leading the reader to believe. Shapiro is entertainment, and he's trying to support his point of view. He wants it to be a bit controversial so he gets hits on his site, linked on FB, Twatter, IG, etc...

Their numbers should not matter in the long run. What matters is that this kind of mentality should not be tolerated by anyone that calls themselves an American.

Okay. Appreciate your thoughts.***

Aug 14, 2017, 12:07 PM

null

You really think you'd find 1600 neo-nazis and...

Aug 14, 2017, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Seriously? You don't see the sample size the least bit ]

white nationalists in a county of 400,000? I guess that's possible, because that would only be like .5% of the population.

But his point wasn't that there are only 1600 of these people in the country, but that their numbers are greatly inflated.

That's not what Shapiro said

Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 PM [ in reply to ^^^this^^^ Shapiro needs to do better research. Even ]

he said that the tweets at him were from only 1600 accounts. He didn't say there were "only a few thousand" neo-Nazis and sympathizers.

As far as actual numbers go, this suggests that the largest neo-Nazi group only has a few hundred members: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Nazism#United_States

...and how would you quantify their 'sympathizers'?

Aug 14, 2017, 1:58 PM

Surely the yardstick for determining who they actually are would be quite subjective.

Are you throwing simple bigots into that crowd...

Aug 14, 2017, 11:51 AM [ in reply to "a few thousand" is a gross underestimate of neo-Nazis, ]

if so, then yes there are more than that in any state.

However, I'm not sure about neo-nazis and the like.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two things. 1) I'm referring to active participants in the

Aug 14, 2017, 12:14 PM

White supremacy movement. 2) we're getting too hung up on my flippant "few thousand" comment. The point is that it's smaller than the "Alt-Right" would have you believe, and I believe by a considerable margin.

null

Re: Comments from Ben Shapiro on Charlottesville

Aug 15, 2017, 4:40 AM

I don't believe this alt-right crap. The Friday before the incident a long column of young men wearing the same khakis pants and white polo shirts marched across the UVA campus carrying torches and eventually gathered in a perfect circle around the Robert E Lee statue. I've watched these pro-Trump patriotic rallies. They are always organic, loosely organized and loaded with red, white and blue. Patriotism rules at these events. Charlottesville was a Soros-organized false flag designed to incite violence so the media could blame trump.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,023
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic