Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Favorite Coot Game Memories
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 3,054

Favorite Coot Game Memories

Nov 21, 2016, 1:54 PM

1. Charlie Whitehurst 1st & 35 with the game on the line, trotting his way to a first down to drive us down for the win in Soda City.

2. TD Chad Jasmin

3. Rod Gardner with the Catch 2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Butler's catch, Stuckey dragging a defender in to make 63,

Nov 21, 2016, 2:14 PM

Emory Smith bulldozing his way to the endzone, Whitehurst going 4-0, throwing Zero bars on the field after coots go winless for the year, etc...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

The "Zero Bar" game. Now that was hilarious!!!***

Nov 21, 2016, 3:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Emory didn"t score, Priester punched

Nov 21, 2016, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Butler's catch, Stuckey dragging a defender in to make 63, ]

it in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've told this story before, I was a student when

Nov 21, 2016, 2:31 PM

the Catch 2 happened and my wife (then girlfriend) and I were sitting in the student section right in front of where Rod caught that ball. When the coots scored to take the lead, these two classy coot girls ran down in front of the student section and gave everyone the finger and started cussing us out, they were so confident they had just won the game. You know...typical coot class and behavior, looking back they probably got banged in the parking lot by some classy coot frat bros. Then Rod makes the catch and I turned around and those two were literally sprinting up the stairs to GTFO. One of them tripped running up the stairs and some guy yelled out "KARMA B!%@#" and we laughed. Classy coot girl didn't find it funny and got up and started running again.

That will always be my favorite memory.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Now I know where the giant inflatable peen came from in the

Nov 21, 2016, 2:43 PM

student sechshun that night.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who's bringing it this year?***

Nov 21, 2016, 3:06 PM

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I don't know, who's driving NAT to the game?***

Nov 21, 2016, 3:18 PM

^^^^ Not All In***

Nov 21, 2016, 3:09 PM [ in reply to I've told this story before, I was a student when ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL! That is funny!***

Nov 21, 2016, 4:06 PM [ in reply to I've told this story before, I was a student when ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I loved the catch by Gardner that set it up,

Nov 21, 2016, 2:32 PM

but my favorite was the Aaron Hunt FG to win it after the catch.

Re: I loved the catch by Gardner that set it up,

Nov 21, 2016, 4:00 PM

Extra credit: who was the holder for Hunt that cold (started to sleet right after Hunt's kick!) night?

Jeff Scott ... just guessing.***

Nov 21, 2016, 4:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Jeff Scott ... just guessing.***

Nov 21, 2016, 6:04 PM

Winner, Winner, chicken (Coot?) dinner! Absolutely was Mr. Jeff Scott!

Willie Underwood and the Orange Pants For the 1st Time

Nov 21, 2016, 2:48 PM

I was on the bank in 1980 when that game was played.....

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Mine too. I was there. Carolina had a bumper sticker

Nov 21, 2016, 4:11 PM

that read, "We play with a loaded 38," referencing George Rogers. My thought after the game was, "Maybe so but we play with a loaded 20 gauge."

Re: Favorite Coot Game Memories

Nov 21, 2016, 2:50 PM

The Catch #1
Willie Underwood interceptions with orange pants
The Catch #2

Huge hit on Todd Ellis in Death Valley

Nov 21, 2016, 3:48 PM

where he was just absolutely drilled in the chest. I can't remember but think it may have been John Johnson? Ellis just lay there not moving and it took a few seconds for us to realize he had fumbled and pick up the ball for the recovery.

Everytime I hear that annoying voice of his I remember the hit and feel a bit better

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My first Clemson/$CU game in Columbia. 1977 - The Catch I

Nov 21, 2016, 2:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: My first Clemson/$CU game in Columbia. 1977 - The Catch I

Nov 21, 2016, 4:10 PM

Jerry Butler catches it and flips off the crowd at the same time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine to. Sat in the endzone near the top right on the aisle.

Nov 21, 2016, 8:16 PM [ in reply to My first Clemson/$CU game in Columbia. 1977 - The Catch I ]

Well, my first one in Columbia anyway....

My favorite too. It was like beating them twice that day!

Nov 22, 2016, 2:16 AM [ in reply to My first Clemson/$CU game in Columbia. 1977 - The Catch I ]

Since we led 24-0 at the half, they had the big comeback, then Butler stuck it to them at the end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"He's hit, he fumbles! Clemson picks it up!"***

Nov 21, 2016, 3:04 PM

There's something in these hills.

Columbia 1989

Nov 21, 2016, 3:32 PM

Terry Allen has missed a few games with an injury. Just before the Tigers get ready to come out, Allen walks out in crutches wearing the orange pants on the road for the first time. He walks over to the Clemson fans, throws his crutches to the ground and then sprints for the sideline to lead the team out. We never looked back. 45-0.

Being in their stadium halfway through the 3rd quarter '03

Nov 21, 2016, 3:41 PM

All of us Tiger fans were just having a grand ole time.

GO TIGERS!!

Nice history of the series....and the universities

Nov 21, 2016, 4:09 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson%E2%80%93South_Carolina_rivalry

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice history of the series....and the universities

Nov 21, 2016, 4:25 PM

Interesting. I always knew there had been 4 ties in the series but I didn't realize that on two occasions, the final score was 0-0. That must have been awful to watch.

Every time they lose, regardless of who they play

Nov 21, 2016, 4:20 PM

And what sport it is

So I have a lifetime full of them. All tied for first place.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Underwood***

Nov 21, 2016, 4:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Favorite Coot Game Memories 1989

Nov 21, 2016, 5:01 PM

Mine has to be 89. It was cold as the dickens and I had an earache but had to see that whupping. Earlier that year the Rolling Stones were on their Steel Wheels tour and they offered Columbia a stop at Billy Bryce but the idiot AD said they could not have rock concerts at WB, what would be next, tractor pulls? Stones offered Death Valley and we said sure. The concert was a few days after the game. For the game, Terry Allen and Howard Hall ran wild. Chicken QB Demassi completed more passes to our guys than his own and had an overall putrid game. Ended 45-Goosegg.The cherry on top was the Tiger doing the fist on hip Mick Jagger strut as the clock wound down. Me and the ex went to a great concert a week later in Clemson. After they played Start Me Up, Mick said he wanted to welcome everyone to the concert, "even the ones from COLUUMBIA!" Sweet.

Nov 21, 2016, 5:41 PM

I really wanted to get a Gamecock and Tiger fan to have a tractor pull before the game at the fairgrounds!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2016, 5:50 PM

My favorite games I attended were:
71 17-7 my soph yr after loosing 3 straight we won in Cola
77 The Catch
80 Up 17-0 before SC had a first down 43-20
81 Capping an undefeated season and Orange Bowl bid
89 45-0
00 Rod Gardner

I did not attend 63-17 or 2014 win!

Nov 21, 2016, 6:02 PM

You must be real young. The catch period

Like in said in a previous post...the 2004 game when David Dunham

Nov 21, 2016, 6:09 PM

Hit the SC kick returner so hard he fumbled the ball. This was right after the SC players felt It was necessary to meet our tigers at the bottom of the hill after getting beat 63- 17 the year before. Couldn't have scripted It any better. Go tigers!

Tay Scott on the jet sweep in '14

Nov 21, 2016, 6:22 PM

Just destroying them the whole game then the TD when he uses the coot player's hand to not step out.

1980..... seriously - better than 63 to 17...

Nov 21, 2016, 6:41 PM

you had to be there.

1976, totally awesome

Nov 21, 2016, 7:05 PM

SOCCER FIELD WARMUP
1976 South Carolina Game
Head Coach Red Parker's last game at Clemson was memorable, as he schemed to defeat South Carolina 28-9. It was a dominant performance against a South Carolina squad that had embarrassed the Tigers the previous year by a score of 56-20.

Parker pulled out all the motivational tricks he had, even from the pregame warmup. The site was the old soccer field near the stadium (now a parking area on an intramural field beyond the North side of the stadium).

It was a strange pregame setting as South Carolina went through its exercises as the only team in the stadium. Clemson's first appearance came as it arrived at the top of the Hill.
Warren Ratchford gained 127 yards and Tracy Perry added 98 yards and two touchdowns in a convincing 28-9 win that kick-started Clemson's landmark 1977 season.

Re: 1976, totally awesome

Nov 21, 2016, 7:16 PM

All season the team had started slow. Not really seeming ready to play until the 2nd, too late in too many games. We had no idea what was going on until the team captains came out for the coin toss. Full contact scrimmage on the soccer field! The crowd was buzzing then cheering wildly when the team ran on the field just before kickoff. We blew them out. Total domination and the most electric crowd I've ever been a part of... up to that time. After that we went a a run that lead to the NC.

Nov 21, 2016, 7:16 PM [ in reply to 1976, totally awesome ]

All season the team had started slow. Not really seeming ready to play until the 2nd, too late in too many games. We had no idea what was going on until the team captains came out for the coin toss. Full contact scrimmage on the soccer field! The crowd was buzzing then cheering wildly when the team ran on the field just before kickoff. We blew them out. Total domination and the most electric crowd I've ever been a part of... up to that time. After that we went a a run that lead to the NC.

Nov 21, 2016, 10:55 PM [ in reply to 1976, totally awesome ]

I can't believe I left that one off the list. THAT was the Renaissance of Clemson Football! We lost 56-20 the year before and went 8-2-1 and a Gator Bowl the next.

Nov 21, 2016, 7:23 PM

My favorite play was In '95 watching Emery Smith drag coot Terry Cousins at least 10 yards late in the 4th. I laughed my head off.

I will never get tired of telling this. At the 2003 game,

Nov 21, 2016, 8:15 PM

Coots were favored by 4 and a half I think. The Clemson crowd was rowdy from the get go. Got in our seats in upper corner about 45 minutes before kickoff. We started with the 1..2..3...4...Ceeee...Ellll...etc. Did it probably 10 times before kickoff. 5 minutes before kickoff a flock of chickens comes in and sits on our row....1...2....3...4...here we go again. We get the ball and BAM Touchdown CLemson...1...2..3...4.....Kickoff, shut'em down on Defense...1...2...3..4...Charlie hits Ben Hall up the middle, TD! 1..2...3...4...Kickoff and stuff'em....1..2...3...My buddy says ,"I'd like to see Charlie hit Aries right about the middle of the O in the endzone(Go look at the tape and see where Aries actually caught it), sure nuff, Charlie does just that, TD CLemson....1..2..3...This is at the end of the FIRST QUARTER.Coot family gets up, all 7 of them, grab all their gear and they are leaving for good. Just as the last one clears the aisle and heads down the steps , we fire up the 1.2.3.4 yet again and the Coot turns to me and says, "Well, I see y'all finally learned how to spell it!"............

Ole Spud said," Partner, stick around another quarter and you'll learn how to spell it".......

Replies: 41
| visibility 3,054
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic