Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Football Poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

College Football Poll

Sep 18, 2017, 1:00 PM

Hello all. A couple of years back I shared with you all a college football ranking system that I created. The system ranks teams by how a team does versus their strength of schedule. Well, after a year's hiatus, I am bringing the poll back for anyone who wishes to follow throughout the season.

Visit www.collegeplayoffbound.com to view the rankings. I hope to make that site more entertaining/informative over time as well.

The rankings to date will look very unorthodox to what we see at this time of year as it ranks teams based on what they have done against the schedule they have faced. Rankings are not based on subjectivity and preconceived opinions in any shape or form. As the season progresses and more games are played, the polls will look more and more like the top 25 we are used to seeing. In the 4 year history, BCS era and CFP era, the top 2 and/or top 4 teams have been correct every year, based solely on a computer algorithm.

Anyway, this is a fun hobby of mine. Hope you enjoy!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: College Football Poll

Week 3 Rankings are posted! I provided some informative info about the poll and some other fun stuff as well.

www.collegeplayoffbound.com

You can subscribe to the weekly newsletter to have the newest rankings sent to your email.

Enjoy and have a great week!

Re: College Football Poll

In this week's rankings, Clemson is #1. I am looking to have a spotlight article on your team this week to share with our site's visitors.

Would anyone want to write an article about your team/school to share with college football fans from across the country? I am looking for someone that has a long following of their program that knows lots of information about your team (history, records, traditions, coaching, other interesting facts). Direct message me or reply to this post if you are interested in contributing. I will respond with more details from there. Again, this will be a feature article on our website collegeplayoffbound.com . (Our first feature article in fact!)

Hard to take seriously when Memphis is #2 and Houston #3.

Sep 18, 2017, 1:02 PM

But you got the #1 team right for sure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to take seriously when Memphis is #2 and Houston #3.

Sep 18, 2017, 1:36 PM

Haha. I knew those would draw criticism. It bases the rankings based on how you have done versus the teams you have played, not how they are projected to finish. A team gets more credit for beating a Power 5 opponent than beating a non-power 5 or a division I-AA team. So the smaller school teams that go undefeated in nonconference, which means they probably upset their Power 5 opponent, get a little love early in the season. Once conference play hits, the Power 5 schools will rise and the lower tiered teams will fall just based on opponent strength. In example, Colorado was number 1 last week and unranked this week. (Were number 1 mainly because their opponent's had played more games. The drastic fall was because they played a division I-AA team this week.) As the season progresses, the polls look closer to what we are seeing. The top 2 (BCS-era) and top 4 (playoff-era) have all been correct over the 4 years I have been doing this. Anyway, it's something I enjoy putting together so thought I'd share with others.

BTW. I am a Sooner fan, so much respect to your team for destroying us and for winning your Championship last year. Yall again look loaded and look like the team to beat for it all again. Glad Brent Venerables has been successful their!

Sep 18, 2017, 2:11 PM

Do you have any previous seasons results to show?

If your rankings website is called "College Playoff Bound", I would like to see how your ratings system correlates to the team's that made the playoff.

You have my interest, if you can prove your ranking system over previous seasons. I'd like to see the last 5 seasons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2017, 2:22 PM

Definitely! I have been meaning to do that, so I will try to post those as soon as possible. The formula has been tweaked a little each year, but this season it should stay the same as last year. I put the formula on the site yesterday to try to explain how the system works. I may need to edit my explanation to make it more clear, but am awaiting feedback from the site visitors.

Again, I am looking to have a feature article each week on different teams. This week will be Clemson. If you or anyone you know has a strong knowledge or your program now and its history, and is interested in writing an article, I will feature it on our site.

Thanks for your interest! Hope you enjoy.

Sep 18, 2017, 2:26 PM

Lots of people willing to talk Clemson football here, and no shortage of people willing to argue your formula (welcome to the world of CFB).

Tell you what. Show us how and why your 'evolving' formula has gotten better at predicting the four teams that go to the playoff, based on documented results of previous seasons.

Then is when you'll get attention.

Hope this helps.

Sep 19, 2017, 11:44 PM

Past season rankings are now available to view on my site. These will look a lot more like the rankings we are used to seeing. The formula has been 100% accurate at placing the top 4 teams of the playoff since the college football playoff era started. I have uploaded rankings for 2014, 2015, and 2016.

www.collegeplayoffbound.com/past-seasons

By the way, this site is hopping! I haven't seen a message board this busy in years if ever. The OU board used to have high traffic, but at it's peak I don't think it was this active. Good to see!

Sep 24, 2017, 5:36 PM

Week 4 Rankings are out! Visit www.collegeplayoffbound.com .

Our first 1 loss team has made the Top 25 with #25 Florida taking the honor.

Don't forget to sign-up for weekly ranking updates via email. I promise not to spam or overload your inbox. :)

Week 5 Rankings

Oct 1, 2017, 8:49 PM

Week 5 Rankings are out. Visit www.collegeplayoffbound.com to check them out.

Re: Week 5 Rankings

Oct 2, 2017, 11:31 AM

Here is a sample of how the rankings breakdown. There was an inquiry as to why TCU should be ranked above OU.

That's because they have the same record as OU, but have played a more difficult schedule.

The breakdown:
TCU
1. Jacksonville State (Div. 1-AA) - Win - Opponent Strength (0.5) - SVS-score (0.5pts)

2. Arkansas (Div - Power 5) - Win -
Opp. Strength (FAMU (win + 0.5), TCU (loss -0.5), TXA&M (loss -0.5), NMSU (win +1.0) = Total: 0.5)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (0.5) x 0.15) + 1.0) = (1.075 pts)

3. SMU (Div. 1-A) - Win -
Opp. Strength (SFA (win + 0.5), UNT (win +1.0), TCU (loss -0.5), ArkSt (win +1.0), UConn (win +1.0) = Total: 3.0)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (3.0) x 0.10) + 1.0) = (1.3 pts)

4. Oklahoma State (Div - Power 5) - Win -
Opp. Str. (Tulsa (win + 1.0), SoAlab (win +1.0), Pitt (win +1.2), TCU (loss -0.5), TxTech (win +1.2) = Total: 3.9)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (3.9) x 0.15) + 1.0) = (1.585 pts)

Total SVS-Score = (JacksonState 0.5 + Arkansas 1.075 + SMU 1.3 + Ok.State 1.585) = 4.46
Average SVS-Score = 4.46 / 4 games = 1.1150

-----------------

Oklahoma
1. UTEP (Div. 1-A) - Win -
Opp. Strength (OU (loss -0.5), Rice (loss -0.5), Ariz (loss -0.5), NMSU (loss -0.5), Army (loss -0.5) = Total: -2.5)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (-2.5) x 0.10) + 1.0) = (0.75 pts)

2. Ohio State (Div - Power 5) - Win -
Opp. Str. (Indiana (win + 1.2), OU (loss -0.5), Army (win +1.0), UNLV (win +1.0), Rutgers (win +1.2) = Total: 3.9)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (3.9) x 0.15) + 1.0) = (1.585 pts)

3. Tulane (Div. 1-A) - Win -
Opp. Str. (Grambling (win + 0.5), Navy (loss -0.5), OU (loss -0.5), Army (win +1.0) = Total: 0.5)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (0.5) x 0.10) + 1.0) = (1.05 pts)

4. Baylor (Div - Power 5) - Win -
Opp. Str. (Liberty (loss -1.75), UTSA (loss -0.5), Duke (loss -0.5), OU (loss -0.5), KSU (loss -0.5) = Total: -3.75)
SVS-Score ( (Opp. strength (-3.75) x 0.05) + 1.0) = (0.8125 pts)

Total SVS-Score = (UTEP 0.75 + OhioState 1.585 + Tulane 1.05 + Baylor 0.8125) = 4.1975
Average SVS-Score = 4.1975 / 4 games = 1.0494

----------
So, OU's victory over Ohio State is the same quality as TCU's victory over Oklahoma State. (home/away is not a component, but both were on the road in this instance.)
Baylor and UTEP not winning a game to date (and Baylor's embarrassing loss to a Div. 1-AA school) is what is causing OU to fall behind. 2-2 Tulane (1.05) is our best quality win outside of Ohio.St. TCU's next quality win is over 4-1 SMU (1.3)

Week 6 Rankings

Oct 9, 2017, 2:23 PM

Week 6 Rankings are now up. Visit www.collegeplayoffbound.com to check them out.

Week 7 Rankings

Oct 16, 2017, 12:05 PM

Week 7 Rankings are now up. Visit www.collegeplayoffbound.com to check them out.

Week 9 Rankings

Oct 31, 2017, 2:45 PM

Week 9 Rankings are now up. Visit www.collegeplayoffbound.com to check them out.

Clemson up to #2

Re: Week 9 Rankings

Oct 31, 2017, 4:54 PM

Thanks - I shared on fb.

WL

Week 10 Rankings

Nov 9, 2017, 10:12 AM

Week 10 Rankings are out. Check them out at www.collegeplayoffbound.com

Week 10 Rankings