Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole better than Boyd running the read option?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,930

Cole better than Boyd running the read option?

Jul 6, 2014, 4:25 PM

No doubt we will miss Boyds power running, but he never seemed to get a handle of making the correct "read" on the read option. I realize weve only seen Cole in limited action, but it appears he can make the correct reads. He may not be the fastest runner, but being able to make the right read will make Cole a factor in the run game. With a crashing DE and guys like Hump and Seck on the edge blocking, I can see 5-8 yards easy for Cole on read options.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt isn't a zone read option QB....

Jul 6, 2014, 4:33 PM

so no he won't do better than Boyd in that aspect. Stoudt is a pocket passer not a running QB. With our depth at RB, Stoudt won't be needed as a runner. Also, Seckinger needs to improve on his blocking at the TE position.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stoudt is no Woody Dantzler, but after watching clips of

Jul 6, 2014, 4:49 PM

him recently, I think he's a better runner than he gets credit for. I don't think coaches will have a bunch of running plays installed for him, and generally speaking I'm sure coaches would rather have Cole passing and other people running with the ball, but he's got enough size to pick up tough yards when he has to, and looking back he seems to have a good feel for knowing when and where to tuck it and run.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Those clips were in blow outs, and he only ran the ball a...

Jul 6, 2014, 5:06 PM

few times. Too many assumptions based off of mop up time. One thing Stoudt has improved on is that he has a much quicker release than when he first came to Clemson. He isn't a stiff, but he isn't going to get a lot if you run him too much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand that - it's all we've got to go on, and it's

Jul 6, 2014, 5:54 PM

just my opinion based on that. We're talking potential. I don't think he's a great runner, and I don't expect him to run too much, but I do expect him to be smart with the football, including when and where to run, thus enhancing his effectiveness as a runner. Even though it was mop-up, I still think he showed some potential to be effective in that way. Again, just my opinion.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He may not be, but in order to run a zone read (which I'd

Jul 6, 2014, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Stoudt isn't a zone read option QB.... ]

imagine Morris isn't going to abandon) Stoudt NEEDS to be somewhat of a threat for a DE to take the bait. If we simply relied solely on our RBs, then our opponents are going to have an easy time shutting down our run, especially with an Oline that has yet to prove itself.

If Stoudt isn't going to run, then the design QB run players are no longer useful and that seemed to be a BIG part of our offense these past few seasons.

Re: Stoudt isn't a zone read option QB....

Jul 6, 2014, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Stoudt isn't a zone read option QB.... ]

The biggest thing is Stoudt needs to be a threat to run and read the zone option correctly. I doubt he runs too much since our QB depth, with Kelly gone, is problematic this year.

Maybe we'll let Choice play QB some and run it in short yardage and the goalline?

For that matter Kearse played QB in high school.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes....

Jul 6, 2014, 6:15 PM

He can make the read....Tahj could not. Whether he can take the hit or not, we'll have to see.

If he ever reads it correctly

Jul 6, 2014, 7:08 PM

just once, then yes. he will be better. For all that TB did here, poor guy just couldn't make that read.

Cole is better or just as good at all but running, maybe he

Jul 6, 2014, 7:11 PM

won't choke against usuc like boyd

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cole better than Boyd running the read option?

Jul 6, 2014, 7:14 PM

So far I have heard Cole is a better game manager, understands the option better and is calmer under pressure. Must really be a dumb coaching staff to have kept him on the bench the last three years. Come on guys, get real.

Ha, and what do you think of Dylan? Surely he isn't as good

Jul 6, 2014, 7:18 PM

as Shaw right? I guess that's a step back for your O...

Hey Look!

Jul 6, 2014, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Cole better than Boyd running the read option? ]

The Troll is back!

You do realize there are other attributes to playing QB?

Well maybe not.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Hey Look!

Jul 6, 2014, 8:08 PM

Yes, lets all give manahole a big round of TDs!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a lot of homerism on here right now

Jul 6, 2014, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Cole better than Boyd running the read option? ]

I think people are letting their optimism carry them away. It's ok to say that Boyd was a really good QB, that we hope Stoudt will also be pretty good, but that there's some uncertainty. I think it's a little ridiculous to say that we know Stoudt is better than Boyd based on pretty much no evidence. But we can still be confident that Stoudt will be successful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,930
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic