Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole Stoudt, First Three Games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,356

Cole Stoudt, First Three Games

Jul 28, 2014, 2:18 PM

A few people (fans and writers) have written that Cole Stoudt may lose his starting job if we lose one of our first three games (presumably against Georgia or FSU). Winning games is obviously a huge part of a quarterback's job, but there's no need to dethrone him and hand the job to Deshaun just for losing. If he's the main reason we're losing, fine. But it is more than likely that we won't be undefeated after our first three games, which shouldn't come as a surprise considering Athens is an extremely difficult place to play, and that visiting the defending National Champions won't be an easy one in any sense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cole Stoudt, First Three Games

Jul 28, 2014, 2:28 PM

It will depend strictly on how Cole and the rest of the team play. Cole won't win, nor will he, likely, lose the game by himself. His retaining the starting role will depend on how he handles his job in practice and in each game, and how the other QB's handle it, as well. Too soon for anybody to proclaim, at this juncture, who will be the starter after 3 games. There's a lot of FB to be played and practiced between now and then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cole Stoudt, First Three Games

Jul 28, 2014, 2:30 PM

Does Deshaun really know the playbook well enough to take over as starter? Cole has been learning the playbook for much longer and has been good in his limited time on the field. Don't get me wrong I am a huge Watson fan but Cole should and will be the starter and it would take a lot for that to change. IMHO

No, he probably doesn't.***

Jul 28, 2014, 2:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haven't heard fans calling for a replacement after ONE loss

Jul 28, 2014, 2:31 PM

i do however believe watson will be the starter after/by the UNC game............jmo

Barring something completely unforseen....

Jul 28, 2014, 2:34 PM

Cole will be the starter all season IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

that may be, but i don't think the separation is as........

Jul 28, 2014, 2:45 PM

monumental as most fans think

the coaches have already said watson WILL PLAY vs UGA........................at no point last year did you ever hear "cole stoudt will play vs UGA"

if he's good enough now to warrant guaranteed playing time in a relevant opener........the gap is not big.

I share a similar opinion as the poster below........2 losses (one being to FSU) and it's no playoffs and no ACC championship.........prepare for next year giving watson some MEANINGFUL PT (unlike stoudt recieved)........for next season

That has not been Dabo's modus operandi....

Jul 28, 2014, 2:49 PM

since he's been at Clemson and I dount he would do that this year either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he's never had a QB situation exactly like this either....

Jul 28, 2014, 2:53 PM

and the one other situation close to this was 2010 when parker (2nd year starter) SHOULD'VE been benched for tajh in numerous occasions and the season was a loss..........hopefully dabo learned from that mistake........or better yet hopefully morris has more say/pull than napier did.

Re: that may be, but i don't think the separation is as........

Jul 28, 2014, 3:00 PM [ in reply to that may be, but i don't think the separation is as........ ]

I agree with everything you said except that last point - having two losses (against UGA and FSU, mind you) does in no way mean that we should call it a rebuilding year and give up faith in Cole. The schedule gets noticeably easier after the FSU game, which means we'll have some winnable games and more opportunities for Watson to show his stuff.

At the end of the day, whether it's Cole or Deshaun, this is a young offense with a VERY high ceiling and it'll take some times to work out the kinks that come along with it. We'll be a very different team come mid-October/early November.

Re: Barring something completely unforseen....

Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Barring something completely unforseen.... ]

+1 Agree that Cole will start ALL SEASON.

I think the thought process is

Jul 28, 2014, 2:36 PM

That if we lose to FSU that we're not going to win an ACC title. You're basically talking about keeping Cole in and going to a chick-fil-a bowl or giving Deshaun valuable experience and going to a music city bowl. At this point, if we lose to FSU I say give Deshaun a chance to learn the system and grow into a superstar so that we can have a better shot next year and the year after.

If that is the thought process....

Jul 28, 2014, 2:43 PM

the logic is flawed.

Re: I think the thought process is

Jul 28, 2014, 2:47 PM [ in reply to I think the thought process is ]

There would be nothing wrong with not winning an ACC title this year (FSU is pretty good...), and I don't think Cole's job depends on it - this is his last season, after all. It will be very important to get Deshaun experience, and as the coaches have already talked about, he'll be playing early and often, regardless of if he's starting the games or just getting valuable game reps.

Re: I think the thought process is and should be that we

Jul 28, 2014, 4:15 PM

try to win all the games we can THIS YEAR. If we SOMEHOW beat either UGA or FSU it would be impressive. I think there has to be a third loss early in the season to warrant a change at QB, but this is all of course dependent on how well Stoudt plays regardless of W's and L's.

First of all, Clemson will win @ Athens and vs. Ga St... FSU

Jul 28, 2014, 4:29 PM

gets a bye week like last year but this year, we do also. There won't be all of the ESPN build up that caused campus distractions like last year. Our guys will be much better prepared, much more "FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS", and they'll be on a mission. That game will certainly be closer than the current line barring any cataclysmic injuries and CAN be won.... Stoudt starts this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,356
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic