Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole Stoudt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Cole Stoudt

Aug 1, 2014, 2:08 PM

Serious question -

I agree that CS has the passing skills, etc. that are needed but how do you feel he'll handle the pressure of his first start? Having to start off in Athens as the first game of the season and his first start is tough - playing there is tough for any QB, much less someone with his limited overall amount of experience.

I feel if he can handle the pressure and the OL protects him we'll have every chance to win. I also know there's no way to no until the game starts.

How do you feel and why?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mechanical discipline.

Aug 1, 2014, 2:15 PM

Easiest thing in the world to say and one of the toughest to do.

A player must focus on the mechanics of his job in order to displace the emotions of pressure. Like riding a bike, maybe difficult at first but gets easier every time out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cole Stoudt

Aug 1, 2014, 2:21 PM

I think Cole is going to do just fine. I have watched a lot of film on him recently because I wasn't very happy after Kelly was let go and didn't trust Cole could lead us. After everything I've watched, I don't care that it was garbage duty, I believe he has what it takes to be a very good QB in this system. He is calm and gets the ball out of his hands fast, which will help our oline. He does something Tajh didn't like to do much and that was throwing to the middle of the field. I've seen too many times guys running wide open down the middle and Tajh not seeing them or just ignoring them. Best example is the 4&16 vs LSU. Humphries is running wide open in the middle and Tajh forces a pass to Nuk in triple coverage. Great play, but if he throws an incompletion then we would of never of let that down. We do not need someone who can throw bombs but someone who can nickel and dime.

Very well said.....

Aug 1, 2014, 2:33 PM

Agree completely about the "nickel and dime". How many times have we seen our D, even when they were pretty good, give up drives with the dinks and dunks.

Over the last few years, we've seen our tempo wear other teams down. And that was with "big play" capabilities from Sammy. I expect this year we will be wearing teams down even more due to longer sustained drives and the tempo. It will be beautiful to watch, and also make our D that much more productive.

I actually think we will very pleased with Cole's first

Aug 1, 2014, 2:23 PM

start. I don't expect him to be perfect by any means, but I think he will play well. I would be more worried if he were a sophomore making his first start in Athens, but CS is a Senior and waited a long time for this. I expect Cole is going into the season and the first game with a very relaxed and confident attitude.

Letting him run the O in garbage time with FSU

Aug 1, 2014, 3:44 PM

after we had so obviously lost the game was a good move. Even though he wasn't facing their entire starting lineup, he was still facing talent as good as he will see in Athens. And he didn't seem to let it get to him.

But every chance he's had to play and we've had to see him has been brief. I worry less about how he will handle the pressure out of the gate and maybe even after a full quarter or two. It's the full 60 minutes where he is untested. If it's a close game deep into the 4th, will he stay cool and methodical?

I think so. But who can be perfectly sure? We will see.

And it will be even more interesting how and where Morris uses Watson in that game, now that he's essentially said it WILL happen. A few cute Morris-designed plays here and there? Or do you give him a series or two to give Stoudt a little cool down time, say at the start of the 4th for example?

Aug 1, 2014, 3:47 PM

I hope Watson is coming in during garbage time because Stoudt has already put the game away.

Aug 1, 2014, 3:48 PM

Cole will handle it better than Boyd...

Oh chit - I done went and started another chitstorm.

Okay - I like Cole at QB, and I have for years. I just wish he could have played more in the past 2-3 years. But...we were always playing catch-up and the game was always too close. Either I will be very surprised, or Cole is going to shock and awe, and a lot of other people are going to be very surprised. For me, I still think he makes his reads extremely well and quick, and he finds his targets. CONSISTENCY is a valuable asset to have at QB, and Cole has it. He does NOT have to be a gunslinger to move the ball down the field.

This must be one of the times you are wrong...

Aug 1, 2014, 3:57 PM

cause I fully agree with you. Cole will be more than functional until DW masters the playbook.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This must be one of the times you are wrong...

Aug 1, 2014, 4:00 PM

I honestly do not see Watson starting a single game this season - unless Cole gets injured. I think Cole is that good. I see Watson entering numerous games in the 3rd/4th quarter when we have a 2-3 TD lead. But - I've been a proponent of Cole Stoudt for 2-3 years, and Boyd was pretty awesome, So what can anyone do that plays behind Boyd? You just wait your turn.

Since this is CS's last season, Watson might get

Aug 1, 2014, 4:16 PM

much more play time as the season winds down. Maybe starting with, say, Cuse up until SCar after Watson has been able to work some plays designed for him in earlier games.

I'm not Morris, but I can see him and Swinney doing whatever they can to not risk games but make sure they don't have 2 seasons in a row where the starting QB has only limited, garbage time snaps. Even if CS is doing really well, it's not like they need him toughened up for another season or that they owe him the way the seem to have felt they owed Boyd for all his years of work and contributions.

Nothing necessarily negative about CS, just the reality of the situation. He will still get the credit for a 10+ wind season.

Re: Since this is CS's last season, Watson might get

Aug 1, 2014, 5:59 PM

Couple points. Posters always say the next yrs QB is gonna have to get playing time. Bull. He gets it when he gets it.....like Cole did. You game plan games to win. You don't play at this level juggling QBs worrying about next yr. No one does, unless they are up by 50 pts.

Someone posted here, and I've read it in other threads, that Cole was calm in short appearances, but can he go an entire game. A) by now we should know that Cole is just that way...calm, cool, collected. B) he did have meaningful reps against BC as a "TRUE" freshman. Played the entire second half and never cracked. Against SCState last year, came in and went 6/6 right off the bench in meaningful mins. Ended up 19/20. Came off the bench against FSU who still had mostly 1st team D in the game. Looked great! Same against GA Techs first team D.

From all reports I've read he's always been that way. No we don't give Yankees much credit for playing good football, but last I checked they play full 4 Qtr games in Ohio just like down here, and he played for one of the top programs in the state.

Quit making up things that just don't make sense.

Also, we've seen him have 2 consecutive GREAT spring games. Broke the SG record as a Jr....... then his performance this spring was also very good. AND don't tell me there was no pressure on him there. He was calm cool and collected and showed no change in his attitude even as the entire stadium was buzzing about CKs blow up!

Cole's cool...... Cool Hand Cole.

Not making anything up

Aug 1, 2014, 6:41 PM

No playing time for Watson? I guess you think Swinney and Morris are just "making it up" or maybe just playing games.

Comparing Stoudt subbing for Boyd with Watson subbing for Stoudt is orange and apples. Coaches and Boyd were a lot more invested in keeping him in than they will be for Stoudt. Sure, if CS is really burning it up, you don't pull him. But what do you gain against, say, Cuse if by sometime the 3Q you are two solid scores ahead and you don't give Watson his time in the box? Stoudt doesn't have career stat targets and if you thought Watson might flounder and not keep or increase the lead, then you really have something to worry about next season. Yeah, Watson will make some mistakes especially related to knowledge of the program. Better to get 'em out of the way this season and get him even more confident to take the lead next season.

And even if you added up all the play time he's had subbing so far, it won't be anything like a full 60 minutes of attack from a defense the caliber of FSUs. And we've seen a number of QBs get erratic after a long, punishing game. Boyd is clearly not exempt from that.

Re: Not making anything up

Aug 1, 2014, 11:47 PM

Yes you are. Every back up QB in the country comes in as the starter with the same type playing time as Cole. Why do you think it's an issue with Cole? These guys have been playing football since they were very young. They can handle 60 mins.

Indeed in situations when we're ahead they'll get Watson some reps asap. I'm just saying if things are going well, you don't take a QB out in the middle of a game that is still in question to give a guy reps just cuz you said you would. Like gambling, you don't mess with a streak. If your QB is playing well, you don't yank him and destroy the momemtum. Game in hand...... then play your other guys.

Don't think you are reading very closely

Aug 2, 2014, 1:54 PM

I've never said coaches will "yank" CS. I'm simply pointing out that there are 2 conditions that will impact Morris' decisions on subbing Watson. Game in hand, as you say, is one. And that could be as early as 3Q in some games, where giving Watson more snaps only helps now and later. The only way it would damage momentum is if Watson isn't all he looks like he can and will be. Not much chance.

The other is game NOT in hand. Less likely, but there may be some situations, especially later in the season after CS's performance is pretty much a 'known', where Morris will play some mix-n-match with Watson in on plays designed just for him. The goal - get BACK the momentum. There is no value in letting a senior QB who isn't capping off a 3 or 4 year record and who will not return struggle. No benefit now. No benefit later.

The list of QBs who struggle in college at first with 60 minutes of pressure is long. To say it doesn't happen is, well......making something up.

Re: I just feels for Gawga

Aug 1, 2014, 7:33 PM

having to run straight in to a buzzsaw! Pore dawgs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just feels for Gawga

Aug 1, 2014, 8:14 PM

I think ugay is scared of Stoudt. Could be a three touchdown win.

If the OL holds up, we'll be fine

Aug 1, 2014, 10:44 PM

That's really the only question I have about the game. If you could tell me with 100% certainty that our OL will perform "just OK", I feel great about our chances.

On the flipside, if these new faces on the line make lots of mistakes past the first quarter, we're screwed. We won't lose this game because of Stoudt, we'd lose it because of the OL.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic