Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coldest Clemson FB game you've been to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Coldest Clemson FB game you've been to

Feb 24, 2015, 11:21 AM

For me and some of you, it had to be the 1979 Peach Bowl
vs Baylor in the old Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta on
New Years Eve. I think the temp was in the teens with a
wind blowing through. Went with my older brother and a
couple of friends. As a HS senior, thought i was a tough
young stud, but by halftime i was ready to cry. To top it
off, we lost a close one 20-16. What a way to bring in the
80s. We had been to Notre Dame a few weeks before and it
wasn't nearly as cold. But the basketball team made up for
it 10 days later by beating #1 Duke in OT in Littlejohn.
Good times

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coldest Clemson FB game you've been to

Feb 24, 2015, 11:22 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16908892#16908892

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I definitely know that one.

Feb 24, 2015, 11:22 AM

2003 at Williams Brice. It's the only one I've been to, so that helps me remember. No idea how cold it was. I wore a rubber chicken head during the fourth quarter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least we crushed them in that game***

Feb 24, 2015, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2015, 11:24 AM

2003 at Williams Brice, some guy in a rubber chicken head was projectile vomiting goldschlager and I got some of it one me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please, there wasn't anyone within ten rows of me where

Feb 24, 2015, 11:27 AM

I was sitting, in the SC student section.

ACC Championship game against GT

Feb 26, 2015, 9:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Coldest Clemson FB game you've been to ]

I know it was in Tampa but a cold snap came through. It was in the low 30's which doesn't sound awful but I didn't pack any warm clothes. Stopped at a few stores nearby to pick up warm clothes and they didn't have so much as long underwear. A lady in the store asked me what I was looking for and when I told her she just said "sorry, we don't really carry long underwear in Florida". Couldn't really argue with her on that one.

Same as yours...

Feb 24, 2015, 11:25 AM

Ridonculously cold that day. I remember Mike Singletary played for Baylor...definitely a heartbreaking loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Agree.

Feb 24, 2015, 11:34 AM

I was there, sitting behind Steve Fuller.

Also, 1997 UNC game. Another loss.

The Catch 2. It was so cold folks tailgated in their cars.***

Feb 24, 2015, 11:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2015, 11:41 AM

2008 at Charlottesville. It was coldest game in Virginia history at the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Feb 24, 2015, 11:42 AM

agree. I was at that game as well. I don't think anyone was prepared for it. USC night game a few years later was freezing as well. In columbia, upper deck, wicked wind.

I was at that game. It was the coldest game I have ever

Feb 24, 2015, 11:46 AM

been at. And Mike Singletary was everywhere.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

I was there too....

Feb 24, 2015, 11:52 AM

Got wet at the pregame parade from the sleet, rain, and snow then sat through the game with wet clothes and nearly froze to death.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yep, miserable.***

Feb 24, 2015, 12:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

... and I had to sit beside the Baylor band.***

Feb 24, 2015, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the Baylor game

Feb 24, 2015, 11:56 AM

If my memory is correct is what made it so bad, it was warm prior to the game and then turned windy and cold during the game

Feb 24, 2015, 11:57 AM

Dont remeber the year , but a sleeting rainy miserably cold Peach Bowl in the old Atlanta Fulton County stadium mid to late 70's maybe? We played baylor, the wind was whipping andnit was terrible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Music city bowl...

Feb 24, 2015, 11:59 AM

Mid 20's, breezy, flurries and finished my flask by halftime. 2nd half sucked but at least we won.

79 Peach was my coldest. Also cold was the 72 coot game...

Feb 24, 2015, 12:52 PM

I think the temp was in the 40's, but it rained the entire game. It was so cold, that years later, I was thinking we had lost, but we actually won 7-6.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 79 Peach was my coldest. Also cold was the 72 coot game...

Feb 24, 2015, 10:25 PM

Same for me. Both had a bus connection and my dad intervening. . The 72 was my first Clemson/Chicken game and me and my brother were so wet and cold my dad got the bus driver of the team buses to let us get on ( they had them running with the heat on right behind the west stands). Went back in just in time watch the stop on the chicken 2 point try.

Peach was cold and to top it off the forecast was wrong and no one had any warm clothes on. Our hotel had chartered buses to take us to and from the game. It was so cold that when the bus was nowhere to be found after the game my dad quickly hailed three taxes to get us out of there.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same two for me, but I thought coot game had sleet & freezin

Feb 24, 2015, 10:50 PM

g rain as well as snow.......no accumulation but a cold mess....but we won thanks to Jimmy Williamson
knocking down 2 pt conversion pass.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also remember the 72 USC game...

Feb 26, 2015, 5:37 PM [ in reply to 79 Peach was my coldest. Also cold was the 72 coot game... ]

I was 12 and brought a friend. We could only make it to halftime. Mom took us to the nice warm car to listen to the second half on the radio. Dad stuck it out for the family. I believe it sleeted for part of that game.

Feb 24, 2015, 12:07 PM

I agree. That peach bowl was the coldest, we were in upper deck on the front row with wind in our face.

The Humanitarian Bowl...Boise, Idaho, from a strictly

Feb 24, 2015, 12:47 PM

temperature basis. But we were all prepared for the cold and didn't suffer as much as we did at the Peach Bowl in '79, Blacksburg in the early '80's, the SC game at DV when it sleeted. There was also a night game in Charlottesville in the mid-90's (Tiki Barber's final home game) when it snowed

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2015, 10:09 PM

Yep. 79 Peach Bowl. No competition. Was also pretty cold/rainy at a home game vs Maryland, I think during Hatfield's tenure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2015, 10:17 PM

Humanitarian bowl In Boise. Would have loved to have seen Crosby play a couple more years....

I recall a UNC game several years ago and a BC fame like 8

Feb 24, 2015, 10:41 PM

Years ago (the year we played TCU and they got that miraculous touchdown off of the tip)°. Both had freezing rain and were absolutely miserable.

'79 Peach Bowl no doubt

Feb 24, 2015, 10:43 PM

Was in an open air press box for the radio broadcast on top of FCS with that wind howling. As I recall it was in the 70's a day or two before and I didn't even bring a coat. Thankfully my dad brought one back from a basketball tourney in Portland, OR

Feb 24, 2015, 10:55 PM

It's was pretty cold at the ACCCg vs VT during the first half. But I warmed up nicely in the 2nd. That was a FUN game!

Feb 24, 2015, 11:09 PM

Coldest: 1991 UNC in Chapel Hill - freezing and raining.
Runner-up: 2000(?) Carolina in Death Valley - did not expect it to be so cold. My friend (a coot) and I both had to buy jackets from Knickerboxers. I still have BOTH of them.

Agree on that UNC game

Feb 26, 2015, 6:00 PM

People were huddled in the restrooms.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 25, 2015, 5:35 AM

No doubt the 79 Peach Bowl. Remember being stuck in ATL traffic and needing a bathroom really bad. Then that cold windy stadium. Then the loss. Numerous forms of misery that day. Also remember they had a live bear on the sidelines that was wrestling with our tiger and getting the best of him too.

music city bowl. . snow flakes in my beer***

Feb 25, 2015, 7:14 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Feb 25, 2015, 7:37 AM

Peach Bowl (Baylor) 1979 / At UNC 1991 / Coots 1972

Feb 25, 2015, 8:59 AM

It was so cold in Shreveport La that my buddies beer was freezing in his cup. I can't recall the year. We played Minnesota.

Feb 25, 2015, 10:27 AM

Shreveport was 1985. The Hot Turkey Legs off the grill was keeping warm.

Probably the second game I went to. 1972 South Carolina

Feb 25, 2015, 10:39 AM

game in Clemson. Clemson won 7-6. Slight icing on the roads going in for a 1 p.m. game. Saw a car spin on ice in bumper to bumper traffic on I-85 between Greenville and Clemson exit. Cold icy rain the entire game and people were allowed to take umbrellas in at that time. I was 9 years at the time and cold rain from umbrellas dripping on me throughout. We drove up there all the way from the Pawleys Island area and returned that same day. That's how we rolled then. In spite of the weather, any day in which you witness a Clemson win in the rivalry game is a great day!

To be more exact. Here is a link to

Feb 25, 2015, 10:47 AM

that lovely weather day. Proof that very good things can happen on the ugliest of days.

http://farmersalmanac.com/weather-history/search-results/

The link was supposed to have Greenville weather for

Feb 25, 2015, 10:49 AM

November 25, 1972, but it reverted back to the input page.

I agree ... only the final score made it a bit warmer ...

Feb 26, 2015, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Probably the second game I went to. 1972 South Carolina ]

Those were grim days for Clemson Tiger football and winning the state championship in 1972 WAS just about the ONLY thing we had to look forward to.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2015, 4:23 PM

A tie between the 1979 Peach Bowl vs Baylor and the 1985 Independence Bowl vs Minnesota

I guess Clemson/usc game a couple of games ago.***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Thursday night GT game 2013***

Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

sleeting at uva late 80's

Feb 26, 2015, 8:16 PM

my ### got frozen stuck to the high school bleacher

'95 in Charlottesville started snowing in 3rd quarter***

Feb 27, 2015, 9:08 AM

1979 Baylor Game - True Story

Feb 26, 2015, 9:04 PM

I left Anderson and the temp were in the low 50's. Rolled into Atlanta and pulled up beside some Tiger fans an rolled down my window. I could see me breath and thought ... uh, oh.

Parked. Walked around Fulton County Stadium area and realized I was WAY UNDERDRESSED and bought a Clemson toboggan for $4. I will still cold because the wind was blowing about 25 MPH.

We walked around another hour and passed the same toboggan stand and the hats were selling for $16 each and going like hotcakes.

Bought a sweatshirt once I got inside but the winds in Fulton County stadium were swirling. My face was frozen. My legs were stiff. My upper body wouldn't bend.

I bought 4 hotdogs and put them inside my shirt/jacket to keep me warm at halftime. I never ate them because they provided SOME warmth on that COLD day.

We lost. The hotdogs got tossed on the way to the car.

Agree ... problem not so much that it was that cold, but

Feb 26, 2015, 11:27 PM

... that Clemson fans were caught completely off guard by the approaching cold front from the west and arrived in Atlanta woefully under dressed. I wore a stupid shirt, tie and blue blazer with cotton twill khakis. If I'd have been dressed properly, it still would have been cold, but not all that uncomfortable.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2000 USC "The Catch II" game or the '85 MD game in Baltimore***

Feb 26, 2015, 9:31 PM

1996 vs usc

Feb 26, 2015, 10:24 PM

We were getting beat late in the 4th qtr & we'd had enough so we headed to the car early. Then clemson came all the way back and had a chance, so we rushed back in only to see us miss the field goal & lose... 2000 game was cold too

dude! I was at the '79 peach bowl!

Feb 27, 2015, 1:28 AM

I remember it was COLD, but it was so long ago.
THE coldest I can truly remember was not a football game but a basketball game - 1997? when the basketball team played the 1st 2 rounds of the NCAA in Kansas city. the game was indoors, of course. but walking to the venue was the coldest I've ever been in my entire life. I THINK it was 10 degrees, and the windchill was below zero. I thought my ears were gonna fall off. Whew!

Those trips to MD in late 80's where we played

Feb 27, 2015, 9:10 AM

In Baltimore. I remember some of them being very cold!

That was a cold one!***

Feb 27, 2015, 10:00 AM

Feb 27, 2015, 10:12 AM

We sat on the next to the top row at that Peach Bowl and that was absolutely the coldest I've ever been at any football game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIRWOODTIGER 67

At Maryland? Either '97 or '98

Feb 27, 2015, 10:25 AM

Junior or Senior year. Was snowing.
I was lining up an interview for a job in DC. Came back from the game and canceled the interview. This Southern boy ain't putting up with that kind of cold.

Independence Bowl against a Lou Holtz

Feb 27, 2015, 11:06 AM

Coached Minnesota team and Ricky Fogge.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a bitter and angry man.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic