Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Colbert audience cheers Comey firing report lol
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 492

Colbert audience cheers Comey firing report lol

May 10, 2017, 3:43 PM

they thought they were supposed to hate Comey. :) Guess they didn't get the talking points yet.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/05/10/video-colberts-audience-roars-cheers-upon-hearing-comey-fired/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cognitive dissonance

May 10, 2017, 3:49 PM

just a perfect example. It was incredibly great news until the media told them how they should respond.

"But Trump did it".....booooooooooo

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo!***

May 10, 2017, 3:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Colbert audience cheers Comey firing report lol

May 10, 2017, 4:23 PM

First, let's not pretend that a large portion of those on the far right don't also wait to hear what Rush or Hannity has to say about an issue before they 'develop' their own opinion. Second, I don't think anyone (left or right) disagrees that Comey should have been fired...its just that the timing and reasoning behind said firing is very suspect...but you already know that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He and Stewart actually addressed it later in the show

May 10, 2017, 5:00 PM

Colbert actually asked the audience why they cheered. I think many didn't understand or hasn't been following what Comey's been doing/saying in regards to Russia and Trump the last couple of months.

Re: Colbert audience cheers Comey firing report lol

May 10, 2017, 5:09 PM

why am I surprised that xtiger reads a website called "HotAir"? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone's flip-flopping on this one.

May 10, 2017, 5:09 PM

Except me because I defended Comey when he did the thing with the emails in October.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I think it's possible to defend him and support his firing

May 10, 2017, 5:22 PM

Basically, this:

"Comey’s firing, by itself, is not the problem. There’s a lot of ridiculous hyperbole out there about this being a “coup” or a “constitutional crisis,” which is nonsense; presidents have the absolute legal authority to fire the head of the FBI for any reason, and Comey by this point had earned the firing. My view of Comey hasn’t really changed over the ups and downs of the past year: I continue to think he’s basically a straight-shooting lawman who has tried to do his best in a series of impossible situations (exacerbated by the kinda-sorta-half recusal of Attorney General Loretta Lynch from the Hillary email investigation and now the recusal of Attorney General Jeff Sessions from the Russia probe), and he appears mostly to be respected inside the FBI.

But Comey’s judgment has clearly been impaired by a combination of a lack of moral courage and undue solicitude for the institutional interests of the FBI. He accumulated enemies on both sides of the aisle with his handling of the Clinton hot potato; one hardly need look far for examples of Democrats calling for his firing until the instant he was actually fired (as Ben Domenech notes, Stephen Colbert’s audience erupted in thunderous applause at the news of Comey’s firing until they were told that this was no longer an acceptable opinion). Comey’s position became completely untenable after the story broke this week that he had misled Congress last week about the volume of classified emails forwarded by Huma Abedin to her husband, Anthony Weiner (Comey testified that hundreds or thousands had been forwarded, when in fact only a small number were, and the rest were just backed up on his laptop). Just yesterday, Comey had to fess up to this in writing to the Senate committee he had testified to. At that point, after everything else that had erupted around Comey, his days had to be numbered, and Trump seized the opportunity to fire him. In and of itself, this was the right decision, even though it seems unlikely that the latest shoe dropping on the email controversy was a major driver in why Trump wanted Comey out.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/447497/republicans-should-want-truth-about-russia-and-2016-public

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't agree with Comey's statements about the email

May 10, 2017, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Everyone's flip-flopping on this one. ]

investigation(some of his original statements and conclusions turned out to be false when he testified again several days later), but I never wanted him fired.

But, regardless, he was fired for his Trump - Russia investigation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he was not fired because he was investigating Russia

May 10, 2017, 5:34 PM

Not even sure how you think firing Comey was supposed to kill, or really even obstruct, the investigation. In fact, doing it now just makes people more skeptical.

Also, it's possible that Trump wanted to fire Comey for not exonerating him quickly enough without it also being true that Trump really did anything wrong: http://www.dailywire.com/news/16274/here-are-5-pieces-evidence-trump-didnt-fire-comey-ben-shapiro#exit-modal

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't make people read "The Daily Wire."

May 10, 2017, 5:43 PM

Whatever that is.

Surely you have something more respectable to rely on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

The Daily Wire really isn't bad***

May 10, 2017, 6:11 PM

Your article says it was over the Russia investigation.

May 10, 2017, 6:03 PM [ in reply to No, he was not fired because he was investigating Russia ]

After the Attorney General's recusal, Comey's repeated and unprecedented public testimony in the Clinton email investigation established a precedent that he would have to testify publicly and openly after the conclusion of the Russia investigation. The recusal of AG Jeff Sessions in the Russia investigation placed Comey in a similar situation. By firing Comey, his replacement is far less likely to follow that precedent.

But, I do agree that this will only make things worse for Trump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seems like a legit, unbiased news source

May 10, 2017, 7:10 PM [ in reply to No, he was not fired because he was investigating Russia ]

http://www.dailywire.com/news/16298/watch-scary-moment-wild-bear-goes-after-mountain-chase-stephens
http://www.dailywire.com/news/16265/racism-only-racism-if-it-comes-group-left-hates-ben-shapiro
http://www.dailywire.com/news/16248/leftists-rejoice-chelsea-manning-be-released-next-hank-berrien

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everyone's flip-flopping on this one.

May 11, 2017, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Everyone's flip-flopping on this one. ]

If any person thinks his firing has anything to do with Clinton email schtuff, said person needs his skull thickness measured.

If any person thinks the flap is concern for Comey and whether or not he "deserved" to be fired, that person is way, way missing the point and scope of what's going on.

Replies: 14
| visibility 492
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic