Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coaches on the hot seat in 2014 (what say ye?)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Coaches on the hot seat in 2014 (what say ye?)

Jul 31, 2014, 2:53 PM

I think most will agree that Muschamp tops the list.

Others would include;

Mike London at Virginia

Dana Holgerson at West Virginia

Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech,

Bo Pelini at Nebraska, and maybe even

Brady Hoke at Michigan

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Coaches on the hot seat in 2014 (what say ye?)

Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM

I would add Mark Richt. Another bad year for UGA and they're going to have pitch forks out in Athens. Especially with the "lack of institutional control" lately.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They said Beamer on a show I was watching the other night

Jul 31, 2014, 2:56 PM

I didn't believe it at first but looked at what happened to Bobby B.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be very surprised, even shocked, if VT fired Beamer

Jul 31, 2014, 3:06 PM

He is a VT alum not to mention very well-respected, and highly-regarded in that part of Virginia. I don't envision a scenario where he would continue to hang around a few extra years too many like Bowden did at FSU. Barring something similar to that, Beamer will be allowed to retire on his own terms.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would be very surprised, even shocked, if VT fired Beamer

Jul 31, 2014, 4:05 PM

He looked like he wanted to quit when Mike Bellamy stuck that dagger in his heart.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beamer should retire

Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM [ in reply to They said Beamer on a show I was watching the other night ]

Va Tech is on a downward slope. Their defense will be alright, but their offense is becoming horrific, maybe the worst in the ACC. They recruit a few decent defensive guys but get guys on offense that maybe James Madison is competing for. It is pathetic. They fired their OC and went out and hired the OC that replaced Gus Malzahn at Auburn that took them from national champs to 2-10. I cannot think of a stupider hire and Beamer has some blame in this. While Clemson is by far my number one as I went to undergrad there, I have a degree from Va Tech as well and want to see them succeed (the ACC perception could use it to). However, I see Va Tech entering a path kind of like we were in the early 90s after Ford was fired into the desert and it's going to awhile to turn the ship around once Beamer decides to call it quits.

would slurrier be on the hot seat if he only won 4-7 games??***

Jul 31, 2014, 4:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

They're used to winning that many

Jul 31, 2014, 4:15 PM

He'd be fine.

$CU doesn't have the stones to fire Slurrier.***

Jul 31, 2014, 4:20 PM [ in reply to would slurrier be on the hot seat if he only won 4-7 games??*** ]

He thought that about florida too.***

Jul 31, 2014, 4:22 PM

Obviously, florida didn't fire him but didn't jump at the chance to bring him back either. He'd burned enough bridges and I'm sure he's burned more than a few at usuc as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Florida didn't fire Spurrier....

Jul 31, 2014, 4:26 PM

he resigned in 2002 after going 10 - 2 and winning the Orange Bowl in his final season at Florida.

I'm fully aware of that hence why I made sure to edit that into my

Jul 31, 2014, 4:28 PM

post long before your response.

he approached florida about returning in 2004 after sh!tting the bed with the redskins and was told to submit his resume.

Rumor has it he'd burned to many bridges with the university and boosters to be considered for a return.

They might be willing to take him back now....

Jul 31, 2014, 4:37 PM

v. having Muschamp.

Re: I'm fully aware of that hence why I made sure to edit that into my

Jul 31, 2014, 5:01 PM [ in reply to I'm fully aware of that hence why I made sure to edit that into my ]

> post long before your response.
>
> he approached florida about returning in 2004 after
> sh!tting the bed with the redskins and was told to
> submit his resume.
>
> Rumor has it he'd burned to many bridges with the
> university and boosters to be considered for a return.

Spurrier has not burned bridges at UF, if anything he is just as popular there now as when he was there. The friction is with Jeremy Foley,the AD, who was brought on after Spurrier was hired. Foley hired Meyer because 1. Meyer is a great coach and 2. if he hired Spurrier it would be seen that Spurrier was King not Foley. And trust me Foley has to be the King.

Re: Randy Edsall of Maryland should be on it***

Jul 31, 2014, 4:27 PM

Bret Bielema of Arkansas should be on it******

Jul 31, 2014, 4:30 PM

Re: Bret Bielema of Arkansas should be on it******

Jul 31, 2014, 4:41 PM

It is only his 2nd year. Don't think anyone should be on hot seat in 2nd year.

Re: Bret Bielema of Arkansas had 1 conference win in 2 years

Jul 31, 2014, 5:08 PM

against Kentucky. I don't think the fans will tolerate this for another season. Petrino had the team in the top 10 before his firing. But who really cares? It's the SEC and Arkansas which doesn't matter to me.

Edsall is safe IMO....

Jul 31, 2014, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Randy Edsall of Maryland should be on it*** ]

primarily because Maryland doesn't have the money and can't afford to buy-out the final years of his contract.

Ok, I'm bored so I'll rank how hot their respective...

Jul 31, 2014, 5:00 PM

seats are... 5 being scalding to 1 being cool and comfortable:

Will Muschamp at Florida - 5
*Must win the East or beat FSU. Anything less and he's in big, big trouble.

Mike London at Virginia - 4
*Would be a "5" at most places, but football seems to take a backseat in Pergola land. So, he gets a 4.

Dana Holgerson at West Virginia - 3
*For whatever reason, I feel like he has to have a pretty bad year to get the ax. Like a 6-6 kind of year or worse. I think he gets another chance.

Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech - 3.5
*Couldn't decide if he's a 3.5 or a 4. He needs to win 8 games I think. Maybe 7 saves him, but I wouldn't count on it.

Bo Pelini at Nebraska - 4
*This guy and the Big Red fanbase are like oil and water. I think he needs a big year, like a 10-2 type of year.

Brady Hoke at Michigan - 2
*I think UM needs to do pretty poorly this year for them not to retain Hoke for one more year. He's a "Michigan Man" and well respected. I don't know that he'll make it out alive at 6-6, but I think he will if he does even slightly better.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok, I'm bored so I'll rank how hot their respective...

Jul 31, 2014, 5:02 PM

I think Muschamp survives with 8 wins and competitive against FSU. They'll see it as showing improvement and that counts for a lot.

IMO

Jul 31, 2014, 4:56 PM

Hoke and Johnson are safe this year unless the wheels fall completely off and they also have NCAA issues.

For Hoke while he hasn't particularly been great, he hasn't been all that bad either. He's 26-13 in three full seasons.

For Johnson, I don't think GT can afford to fire him at the moment. From this link http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CHSGeorgiaTech.pdf (page 27) they buyout after this season is still over $5 million.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic