Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lane Kiffin roasted - Candid Coaches series
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 3,127

Lane Kiffin roasted - Candid Coaches series

Aug 19, 2018, 12:13 PM

First off, here's the link to the article on CBS. This is an enjoyable series to read.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/candid-coaches-who-are-the-most-overrated-and-underrated-college-football-coaches/

I wish I knew the coach that said this about Lane Kiffin being over-rated: "I'm probably a little jealous [of Lane Kiffin]. If you're born on third base, that's great, but don't think you hit a triple."

That is some brutal, anonymous feedback right there. I wish I were half that witty. Just dayum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaches can be jealous eh? But they wrong about a few guys.

Aug 19, 2018, 1:00 PM

We take shots at Kiffin but I think he can coach. What he lacks integrity and character. However to say Taggart, Franklin, and Shaw are overrated is laughable.

Taggart- Did they not see what he did at Western Kentucky or UCF before Oregon? His resume is a strong head coaching resume and is better than the one Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney had when they got their big breaks(LSU and Clemson.)

Franklin- He took over a program reeling from the Sandusky scandal, the death of Joe Pa, and NCAA sanctions. Never mind what he did at Vandy was a d@mn near miracle.

David Shaw- Coaching at Stanford is harder than you think. The academic standards are high and the alumni is more concerned with the next be thing in tech than college sports. Sure there is a ton of money, but not the passion. Coach Shaw has managed to win at least 10 games in 5 of his first 7 seasons. Good by any measure.

If I was gonna pick overrated coaches, how about Larry Fedora? He rode one 12 win season at Southern Miss to a job at UNC where he’s been the picture of mediocrity with one 11 win campaign in 6 seasons.

Ed Ogeron, anyone? He went 10-25 at Ole Miss- a failure by any standard. And yet he’s managed to parlay that stunning record and two interim positions into the head job at LSU. (Dabo Affect?)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lane Kiffin roasted - Candid Coaches series

Aug 19, 2018, 1:05 PM

That comment about Clemson was interesting. I'm not sure to agree that Clemson is a place you should expect to have a good football team or be mad that guy only thinks Dabo is just good and not great.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it is it's because Dabo turned it into that kind of

Aug 19, 2018, 1:45 PM

program. Lord knows it wasn't like that when he took over. We went 20 years without a conference title or winning 10 games until Dabo did both in his 3rd full season.

Re: If it is it's because Dabo turned it into that kind of

Aug 19, 2018, 2:33 PM

This is so true. Dabo rebuilt us from a very average program. Our facilities were terrible, we were known for folding every time we got hit in the mouth. Dabo has exceeded everyone's expectations. I don't think anybody really knew the level of success he could not only achieve but sustain. With the success came the best facilities in the country, it's still a little hard to believe little old Clemson is the measuring stick. (Until Bamas new upgrades at least)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 3:45 PM [ in reply to If it is it's because Dabo turned it into that kind of ]

Exactly. Clemson is a place you're expect to win BECAUSE we had a great coach in DS who turned it around and made best the standard.

That coach just doesn't get it.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 10:14 PM [ in reply to If it is it's because Dabo turned it into that kind of ]

I know we had quite a drought but it’s not like we’ve never been really good before. My first memories of Clemson football were in the eighties. Clemson expected and demanded excellence. I think we really underachieved for twenty years. Clemson is a place that the right coach can win a lot of games at. I think a lot of others feel the same way because if they didn’t Bowden would’ve held on to his job longer. I was actually surprised that he kept it as long as he did. If it weren’t for the 2003 season that had many of us believing that we had turned the corner he would’ve been gone a lot sooner. I know we can’t stay at our current level forever but Clemson should never experience an almost twenty year drought of championships in football. We are a big fish in a small pond along with FSU in the ACC. We have way to much support behind our football program to go through that again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO there's more evidence at that point to suggest

Aug 19, 2018, 1:38 PM

that Kiffin can coach than there is to suggest he can't. He's just torpedoed his own career with drama and baggage. He's still just 43 years old so if he can get his act together and clean up his image i really don't see a ceiling for his career. If you told me he was coaching a blue blood program in 10 years i wouldn't be shocked.

Wow. There are some really, really dumb explanations for

Aug 19, 2018, 1:43 PM

some really dumb opinions in the "overrated" group. Sounds like most of those guys are just jealous and/or bitter.

Lots of hurt in those comments

Aug 19, 2018, 1:58 PM

That article reads like the FGF for coaches. Pretty sad and not especially flattering of the profession.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bruce Feldman thought these were pretty dumb too

Aug 20, 2018, 10:02 AM

and wrote a piece about it that went up on the Athletic today. I doubt too many here have subscribed to The Athletic yet, but there's a 50% off code right now and i think it's going to end up being well worth it. Anyway this was the lead-in to his column:

Like? in most aspects? of? our society, there? is a lot? of bitterness and? jealousy in the? world? of coaching.? That?? was my first thought when I saw a story on CBSSports.com this weekend about the guys who other college coaches said were underrated or overrated.

According to the CBS report, Penn State coach James Franklin and Florida State Willie Taggart each received 20 percent of the vote as the most overrated coach in college football. “James Franklin. His coaching peers know he is full of it” was one of the anonymous quotes in the story.

Say what?

https://theathletic.com/479679/2018/08/19/feldman-anonymous-coach-survey-james-franklin-willie-taggart/

Replies: 10
| visibility 3,127
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic