Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Swinney is the REAL DEAL! (As if you didn't know)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 2,756

Coach Swinney is the REAL DEAL! (As if you didn't know)

Nov 7, 2017, 9:24 AM

In college football, there are a small handful of head coaches who are a legitimate blue blood coach. While Dabo Swinney is an "orange blooded" coach, he is to be considered a blue blood. Of course, it will take a nation of more than 300 million people far longer than the 3 million Clemson fans to realize this. Allow me to explain for a minute.

Let's use Urban Meyer as a prime example. That man is a fraud period. I will use a line from Colin Cowherd because it's the truth. Sure, Urban Meyer can allegedly boast of multiple national titles at different schools. However, when you look closely at his record you quickly discover that his winnings were inherited from another coach who took time to build a program from the ground up. Seriously, how many titles does Meyer have as a Head Coach on a team that he actually recruited, trained, and coached? ZERO is the correct number. Coach Swinney has taken this Clemson Tiger team as a WR coach, and has owned it from day one. He has taken both success and failure as his own merits. There is really only one other coach that will be able to take credit for this style of coaching, and that is Nick Saban. However, even Nick Saban has had the luxury of being a head coach of a nationally recognized team with a long history of championships. Dabo on the other hand, accepted the challenge of taking over a program with only 1 national title in history, and a bevy of issues to boot. Look at us now. While I know, "Best Is The Standard" at Clemson I am sharing my thoughts because we won't win a title every year, because it's just not realistic. However, give Coach Swinney a ton of credit because he took a lack luster program, and made it what it is today. I mean, look at it this way, if Dabo takes us all the way even one more time it would be a historical moment. Who else has won more than one national title in Clemson's history?

Bottom line, Dabo Swinney is the best coach we've ever had at Clemson. Not even Frank Howard can claim the accolades that Coach Swinney has during his tenure at Clemson, and that's saying something.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Coach Swinney is the REAL DEAL! (As if you didn't know)

Nov 7, 2017, 9:39 AM

I love Dabo, so the heart of your message is well received. But Meyer can coach. He had success at Utah, Bowling Green, and he didn't take over a stellar situation at Florida or Ohio State when he got there. I don't like the guy, but he's not a coaching fraud. He may be a fraud of a man, but not a football coach.

He may be sliding down the slope a bit on his overall success rate, but he's had an impressive career.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 but it's not fair to compare Coach Howard and Dabo.

Nov 7, 2017, 9:49 AM

It's not fair to Dabo. Coach Howard built IPTAY and for that will always be in a league of his own here at Clemson. Danny won our first Championship and likewise will always be in a league alone.

Both Howard and Ford had accomplishments which can not be duplicated. In these times of 'It's not what you did for me but what you've done lately,' we must not forget the foundations of our heritage. The best we can say about Dabo is that he is a great mixture of the best of Coaches Howard and Ford, the perfect fit for our University, alum and fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2017, 9:49 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. History will record Dabo Swinney as one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. While Clemson University has some football tradition, it was minimal prior to the last 8 years. Frank Howard is a legend because of his tenure and the style of football his teams played. Danny Ford is a great one. He came in and led us to national prominence but his tenure was tainted. Whether or not Danny was personally responsible for the violations, and I don't think he was, the indiscretions have always cast a shadow on the 1981 National Championship. Then after his departure, we entered some dark days. Granted, there were flashes of light here and there. But they were few and far between. Enter Dabo, and everything changed. He has taken us to heretofore unseen heights. Even SEC bigots acknowledge Clemson as a powerhouse at this point, and that's saying something. Before Dabo, nobody was afraid to schedule a game against Clemson. Now nobody wants to schedule a game at Clemson; including Alabama. We are forever indebted to Dabo for his contribution to Clemson University. The same should be said of Terry Don Phillips. Terry Don was clearly a visionary. He saw something in Dabo that compelled him out on a limb. Let's be honest and acknowledge everyone questioned his decision to elevate a Wide Receivers Coach who had never even been a Coordinator. Yet he did what he knew in his heart was the right thing to do, and I am forever grateful. I graduated in 1977 and enjoyed the glory days of the early 80's. Yet in my 64 years on this earth, there's never been a more exciting, or gratifying, time to be a Clemson Tiger! Go Tigers!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2017, 10:41 AM

I agree. I have been blessed to see Danny and Dabo. Howard was before my time but he was a legend when I arrived.

We are blessed to be Tigers.

GO TIGERS

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2017, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Coach Swinney is the REAL DEAL! (As if you didn't know) ]

Willy, pick up a copy of the book “Clemson Tough” by Larry Williams. The foreword is by TDP, and answers the question of “why Dabo?” Bottom line, he was a coach at Va Tech with a young offensive line coach named Ford. He was impressed with the way Danny was tough on his players while building great rapport with them. He saw the same qualities in Dabo with the WR group. In his words, it was Dabo’s “character, values and passion” that sealed the deal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bunk that noise

Nov 7, 2017, 10:11 AM

You posting about building programs a n d winning. ...that is secondary in my mind.

Dabo runs a program the right way. He doesn't look the other way to win football games. If a kid breaks the rules, he is punished. If he is suspended for game(s), it is the next game(s), not pick and chose.

He also doesn't play the offer 490 kids and yank offers/scholarships games that most of his peers do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 6
| visibility 2,756
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic