Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables calls bowl victory a "program changing win"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 3,111

Front Page Story: Venables calls bowl victory a "program changing win"

Jan 1, 2013, 3:54 AM

Venables calls bowl victory a "program changing win"

Clemson’s much-maligned defense held LSU to just nine first downs, 99 yards rushing on 25 attempts (57 on one play), 219 total yards and allowed the Cajun Tigers to convert just three times on 13 third down opportunities. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Venables calls bowl victory a "program changing win"

Jan 1, 2013, 7:26 AM

"but it was the group of defensive tackles that includes Josh Watson, DeShawn Williams, Grady Jarrett and freshman D.J. Reader that played the key role. "
I commented on another website last year that by the end of this year we might have the best depth at DT that we have had in decades. I was counting Carlos Watkins as part of that depth but it turns out that it was DJR instead. Wow what a performance those guy had. They are all have 2 - 3 years eligibility left and maybe Adams and Pagano added to the mix next year. We might have the best dline since the Perry boys came through Clemson the next couple of years?
I am also excited about the depth on the OL with a true freshman Battle coming in because of injury to the starter and kicking butt! Did you notice those LSU players having to leave the field after almost every play on that last drive.
I am so proud of our guys in the trenches!! WOW!!!

Jan 1, 2013, 10:44 PM

I think you are beginning to see the accumulative effect of Venables on defense---"jaw to jaw" and bit nasty. Incidently, we practiced "good on good" with endless gassers, many brutal drills. Not polically correct, but I say the differnce between victory and defeat. Our defense played with an a$$-busting attitude that I hadn't seen all season. Let's do this all season.

Thank You Coach "V"

Jan 1, 2013, 9:06 AM

It appears "smashmouth" defense has returned to Clemson SC. I hope this is a preview of what we will be on defense. A team. A total team. The line did fantastic which opened up Goodman which frees the linebackers, which gave the corners and safeties to the freedom to PLAY FOOTBALL!

Re: Thank You Coach "V"

Jan 1, 2013, 10:45 PM

I totally agree. Great post. Let's get back to Clemson football!

Third downs were HUGE

Jan 1, 2013, 9:25 AM

The D's performance on third downs was one of the biggest factors. It's true the Tigers wouldn't have won without Tahj's unbelievable night (never seen anyone hit so many small windows under so much pressure), but you can say the same thing about the defense snuffing 3rd down conversions.

The most disheartening thing about the coot loss was how they were able to convert third downs at will. It was nice to see the Tigers impose their will and give the ball back to the offense last night. As good as Tahj and Nuk were last night, they couldn't have done it from the bench.

Coach Harbison

Jan 1, 2013, 11:48 AM

Did Clemson defense get better by subtraction? Was Mike Reed involved in bowl preparations?

Dabo & Venables both credited 2 GA's for stepping up

Jan 1, 2013, 2:50 PM

Hope they stay involved with the program, they did a hell of a job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Third downs were HUGE

Jan 1, 2013, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Third downs were HUGE ]

If this defense had shown up against U. Car., we would have won. We still, in MHO, have issues on the OL. But this win should be great for recruiting.

Jan 1, 2013, 11:59 AM

I agree, I hope this helps in the opener w/ GA

Good work Coach V!!!***

Jan 1, 2013, 12:18 PM

Agreed. Teams who prep for our D next season are going to be

Dec 10, 2021, 1:02 AM

in for a shock. For those who forget, Coach V came to Clemson just before National Signing Day, when the recruiting season was mostly already over. Next season will be the best of our returning starters plus Coach V's recruits he wants.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 1, 2013, 1:24 PM

Sooo proud of our defense!! Guys played lights out and so dang tough!! Congrats Coach V - superb game plan and outstanding effort by your D group! You deserve a huge bonus for this game!!

Venables and his D squad were the MVP to me...

Jan 1, 2013, 2:35 PM

...there is so much talk here about Morris and his creative offense and how attractive he is for other roles, etc. etc. But last night proved that Venables was able to both coach and motivate a less talented D (compared to how talented our O is) to be the deciding factor in keeping the game close enough to finally pull out a win at the very end.

The way that D was able to work such a powerful and huge LSU O line was awesome. More often than not our D controlled the line. Who would have thought????

Re: Venables and his D squad were the MVP to me...

Jan 1, 2013, 2:59 PM

Les Miles said the difference in the game was their inability to give Mettenberger adequate protection. Coach V's defense was responsible for that! Our D really stood up last nignt. Take away 2 runs for TDs and they were totally dominated by our D. Big turnaround ftom last year. Thanks to all the D coaches!

Re: Venables and his D squad were the MVP to me...

Jan 1, 2013, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Venables and his D squad were the MVP to me... ]

Venables is going to be a huge asset.

Awesome!

Jan 1, 2013, 2:47 PM

That's what us old school fans have been wanting to see - TOUGHNESS! Win or lose that one we played with the character that we wanted to see from our tigers - thanks to coaches for getting them to play hard every play! Do that next year and we will be something special!

Yeah, I want to wonder why we didn't see this earlier...

Jan 1, 2013, 2:54 PM

...but it's better to think about how much better this D proved it can be and will be next season. Venables is having a huge impact on the younger players. I'm also praying some key recruits who keep teasing us will see this sign and reconsider.

Re: Awesome!

Jan 1, 2013, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Awesome! ]

We have to continue to practice that way. The games should be a relief. Best on best. Okay people talk about injuries. To me the risk of not practicing "all out' is much greater than the alternative. If you do have a pracice injury, the backup wiil be so tough you wil live through it. We lost Sammy Watkins on the first play, but the the team was so tough, we played through it. Back to the Neanderthal days.

D played surprisingly well. Hope it's the wave of the future***

Jan 4, 2013, 12:41 PM

Jan 4, 2013, 5:08 PM

how?? when all you say how bad the sec is.. arent we supposed to beat them? dabo celebrates as if he won the national championship yet the sec sucks.. i dont like dabos antics . they make us look bush league. period

Replies: 20
| visibility 3,111
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic