Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Frank Howard story::: a good memory..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Coach Frank Howard story::: a good memory..

Oct 5, 2016, 12:18 AM

I don’t post here much, but I thought I’d share a Frank Howard story:
=
I was honored to meet Coach Howard before the tigers played the 11th ranked Virginia Cavs in the Valley in 1995. We had gotten to our lot in plenty of time for tailgating, so my dad and I walked to Jervey. There at the entrance amongst a group of people stood Coach Frank Howard himself. As we waited patiently, the small crowd dispersed then we slowly and nervously approached him. The brief conversation we had with him I’ll never forget to this day:

Dad; “hey coach, what do you think about today’s game”
FH; “we used to call these boys white meat, cause we’d never lose against ‘em’. Easy pickin’s back in them days.”
:::as coach Howard leaned on his cane at the time…
Dad; “Coach, I see your hanging on to a cane now?”
FH; “boys… that straight end is for beatin’ them dogs off…. that curled end is for grabbing them pretty girls.”

… and that was it…..as dad and I had a good long laugh, and coach Howard standing in front of us with a straight dead honest look in his face. We had just met a legend.
Clemson lost that day but I was honored to shake coach Howard’s hand, but sadly, the Tiger nation lost him in January the following year.

I never possessed the grades, discipline, or drive that it took to attend Clemson, I wish I had, the military had to pound that into me. But since my first home game in 1978, my blood runith’ orange and still does to this day. Thanks coach Howard. Thank you Tiger nation. Let’s carry on that spirit of toughness.

GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing +1***

Oct 5, 2016, 12:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great story! I love coach Howard! I met Banks McFadden at a

Oct 5, 2016, 6:27 AM

basketball game one year shortly before he passed. I was respectful and kept it short so he could enjoy himself but I did ask him to sign the lineup card they pass out. I came home and put it in with my other "treasures" and have been unable to find it since!! I know it's here somewhere and I can't wait til I run across it!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: great story! I love coach Howard! I met Banks McFadden at a

Oct 5, 2016, 8:33 AM

I got to meet both men and it is a cherished clemson memory

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was almost 30 before I realized I belonged at Clemson.

Oct 5, 2016, 8:46 AM

Clemson didn't agree and I had to spend three quarters at G'ville Tech to prove they were wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic