Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Dabo Swinney in Big Games - updated
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Coach Dabo Swinney in Big Games - updated

May 19, 2017, 10:03 AM

This is an update on the performance of the Tigers in "Big Games" under Coach Swinney (see attempted attached pic for summary). I originally posted about this when we were under performing in the big games in late 2013. At that point, we were consistent against teams we were supposed to beat but were highly inconsistent in higher pressure/importance games. Since then, needless to say, the Tigers are performing at as high a level as they ever have in these types of games. It's a testament to Coach Swinney, the staff, the players, and the program as whole to push through the barriers one-by-one to reach the top once again. This time, I am including a comparison of not only two Clemson coaches in Ford and Bowden, but the two top current coaches in the game, per CBS sports and others: Saban and Meyer. You'll see that Saban struggled in the first part of his career, but Meyer has been consistent throughout in big games (Ford was impressively consistent as well). Nevertheless, Dabo has shown over the last 3 years, he is just as good. Keep in mind, Saban has 20 years of CFB head coaching experience and Meyer has 15. Coach Swinney only has 8 full seasons of head coaching experience and continues to produce improving results.

Notes: After the 2013 regular season, Dabo's record in big games was 36% win % and -110 in point differential (not good). Since then, he has led the Tigers to a 82% win % and +167 point differential in big games (remarkable!). He has pulled his career win % in big games up to 56%, and his first 8 full season percentage is considerably better than Saban at the same point. Lastly, as most of us know, Coach Swinney is 3-1 head-to-head against Saban and Meyer. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would also be interesing to see...

May 19, 2017, 10:09 AM

This same analysis, but using end of season rankings instead of the rankings at the time of the game. My point here is that I feel that ACC teams are underrated until the end of the season. SEC and Big 12 are typically over hyped early. Would love to go pull some data myself, but I'm at work and can only blog once every 5 minutes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree it would be interesting

May 19, 2017, 10:24 AM

and thought about it as well. This exercise was already pretty time consuming.

Seems like an exercise in futility...

May 19, 2017, 11:10 AM

Dabo is .750 against Meyer and Saban and was 2-0 last year, which is really all that matters at this point in time. As a MBA you should know that you can manipulate statistics to say anything...(what if it's top 5/10/20/25/within 100 miles of the coast/mountains, etc.)

spot the $%&# ball

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Couldn't look at myself tomorrow if I didn't post this:

May 19, 2017, 11:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgCY_o1SR3o

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and why are you being a jack###?

May 19, 2017, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Seems like an exercise in futility... ]

I could have manipulated it to say anything, no doubt. That's why I showed multiple-year breakdowns. Interpret it how you wish. If no stats or numbers or ever used, why keep up with wins, losses, scores, TDs, INTs, tackles, or anything? It looks like a positive trend for the Tigers and Swinney regardless.

Awesome post, man; this supports my strengthening opinion

May 19, 2017, 6:35 PM

that Swinney has been the better motivator as of late than Meyer, and Saban as well to at least a slight extent.

Also, I too always take the gridlines off the spreadsheets.

#NobodyGotTimeForThat.

Re: Awesome post, man; this supports my strengthening opinion

May 19, 2017, 7:20 PM

Guess that shows you that UM has a stronger overall resume than NS too. I seem to recall your futile argument with me a few weeks ago on the subject. Enjoy your crow

I said "last few years", u drunk clunker;

May 19, 2017, 7:55 PM

& did not give a reason why that might be.

But now that you mention it, maybe Meyer hasn't been trying as hard as Dabo.

But seriously though, to continually state anybody has a better career showing in coaching than Nick Saban at this point is as based on pure dislike as I can imagine; & on top of that, you're still claiming Meyer the better motivator than Saban after your own squad blanked them 31-0.

I bet you have some Saban voodoo dolls or something.

Drunk clunker.

Re: I said "last few years", u drunk clunker;

May 19, 2017, 8:14 PM

Still trying hard I see. I told you not to try & match wits with me. And props on the name calling. Cute how you stoop to that just because you get punked. Thanks for playing

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic