Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clockflopping
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 405

Clockflopping

Nov 29, 2018, 10:20 AM

TBH if I were the crane operator I'd just stand up from the controls, walk to my car, drive home and start updating my resume

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are those people who are trying to catch

Nov 29, 2018, 10:24 AM

that as it is coming down ?

If so, ten thousands nopes on having that job

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, that be two former employees in a cherry picker.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:25 AM

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/i-cant-stop-watching-this-video-of-purdue-wrecking-its-1830721062

I like to think I am a pretty tough guy

Nov 29, 2018, 10:32 AM

but being in a cherry picker, 30-40ft in the air triggers me somewhat

It ain't that bad.

Nov 29, 2018, 10:35 AM

Time really flies when you're up that high.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

There are things that no amount of money could get me to do

Nov 29, 2018, 10:41 AM [ in reply to I like to think I am a pretty tough guy ]

Moving to Atlanta is one of them, and being on a cherry picker 30' in the air is another.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back in my prime i spent a good bit of time using manlifts

Nov 29, 2018, 10:45 AM

to work on overhead cranes. I haven't fully maxed out a 135', but I've been in them. Most of our stuff can be reached with a fully extended 60'er or an articulating 45'er.

It's real fun when to climb out of one onto a crane/building roof, or have one shut down on you because the rental company doesn't properly maintain them. I've sat in one stuck for hours waiting on the rental company to come manually lower me to the ground.

I got over my fear of heights pretty quickly.

You wouldn't believe how much you get tossed around in that basket... think about being cantilevered out that far and hitting a small bump with the wheels. A 3" rock will bounce your feet 2' in the air like it's nothing.

FUKC. THAT. NOISE.***

Nov 29, 2018, 10:53 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well if you're looking to buy, Mackey is at United Rentals

Nov 29, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Back in my prime i spent a good bit of time using manlifts ]

on Woodruff rd this morning pushing used equipment. Would make a heck of a deer stand.

I used to operate what we called a snorkel lift and scissor lifts but never went over 40 ft. Did not like.

Re: Once knew a guy

Nov 29, 2018, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Back in my prime i spent a good bit of time using manlifts ]

That replaced the lights in radio towers and such. He would tell stories off the swaying of three hundred foot towers and having to crawl and reach out to get to stuff. Even hanging by one hand a time or two without safety harness. Not skeerd of heights but dang man!

He died of heart attack. Probably from reliving all the nightmares.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Noah guy who was driving one

Nov 29, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Back in my prime i spent a good bit of time using manlifts ]

outside to access the roof to get pictures for an engineering firm that was designing an expansion. THe lift hit a rock, guy was about 25ft up and might have fell out if he was tied off to the lift.

That guy was me.

Re: Back in my prime i spent a good bit of time using manlifts

Nov 29, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Back in my prime i spent a good bit of time using manlifts ]

150' is the largest I've been up in. We've had a 185' come through our store but it never came off the truck at the shop so i didn't get a chance to go up in it. I'll go in any boomlift that you want, but #### a scissor lift.

I was a trainer for a little while as well. I've seen some for sure Billy bad-asses basically cry and crouch down in the platform until i would take them back down to the ground.

I've been on a pick board air crane about 80' up on the

Nov 29, 2018, 12:04 PM [ in reply to There are things that no amount of money could get me to do ]

insides of an electrical generating boiler. It's dark AF in there even with the all the work lights during a shutdown.

Picture a metal frame, (2) 2"x 8"x10' as seats, and me and another guy on either end of the "crane", controlling the air winches that are raising us up. Its kinda like a window washing lift you see on skyscrapers.

Then one of the air winch cables either jams up, or the cable slips beside itself winding, and one side of the crane falls about 3 feet.

The pucker factor is YUUUGE. Once my hard hard fell off at the top of the boiler, and it took about 10 seconds for it to hit the ground.

I'm glad I was young when I did that. I'd never do it again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clockflopping

Nov 29, 2018, 10:36 AM

Blame the bozo's that did the rigging. Probably why the article refers to the two guys in the man-basket as "former employees".

Replies: 13
| visibility 405
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic