Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not trying to be heartless about Lattimore....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 4,331

Not trying to be heartless about Lattimore....

Nov 12, 2012, 11:10 PM

I realize he is an awesome kid and a model citizen but am I missing something. Why is his injury being treated like he took a bullet to save the guy with the cure for cancer? I always thought so many tributes should be reserved only for the deceased as there are thousands of kids that have career ending injuries yearly. If Spurrier was half the coach he thinks he is he wouldn't have had to run Lattimore to death, well not quite death but he did run him into the ground.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not trying to be heartless about Lattimore....

Nov 12, 2012, 11:21 PM

Spurlid obviously had nothing to do with this. It was a freak injury, but all the same, I see nothing wrong with coming together to honor a great kid who has put so much into this industry we all love who got that short end of the stick. He dedicated himself to maximize his talent and become an NFL player and all that entails. If you begrudge him for that, oh well. That may all be lost. Sakerlina or not, no real person wishes this kind of injury to someone, especially someone who from all accounts is a great human being.

There are a lot of kids who give it there all and get hurt

Nov 12, 2012, 11:27 PM

sadly it is part of the game. I don't think Spurrier is to blame just seems like if he were the offensive mastermind he personifies he wouldn't have leaned so hard on one back and run him over and over and over again.

yeah, but he was going to be really rich and now

Nov 12, 2012, 11:32 PM

he just has a free scu diploma which isn't worth much...sad, sad, sad

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would much rather have a day in SC dedicated to a fallen

Nov 13, 2012, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Not trying to be heartless about Lattimore.... ]

soldier than an injured football player. That's my big issue with this.

Not so fast

Nov 13, 2012, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Not trying to be heartless about Lattimore.... ]

You can't hold Spurless completely harmless here. Every time a player takes a snap he has some chance of getting hurt. That chance increases if he is the ball carrier (because 11 other guys are aiming for you). This "freak" accident had some probability of happening, let's say it was 1 in 2000. Repeat the trial 1000 times and your chances of getting hurt (over that time) is 50%. The point is: Playing a kid excessively increases risk to him.

Also, could his prior injury have contributed to this one? Was it the same leg and it was not 100% recovered? Was it the other leg and he was unable to maneuver as usual to avoid/lesson the injury? Playing a player that's not 100% excessively also increases risk.

Playing a game of Russian roulette against five of your enemies with a six-shooter gives you a 1 in 6 chance of dying. Play it by yourself and you are surely dead.

I agree that it was a "freak" accident in the sense that it was more severe than normal. He could have gotten in a car accident on the way to practice and suffered the same thing. But you can't tell me that the coach would be equally responsible in that event.

Just my two cents. Hope he recovers. He was a great player. (I also agree the response has been over the top.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not so fast

Nov 13, 2012, 8:48 AM

Maybe a little research before making assumptions would help you a bit. He averaged 16 carries per game (same as Ellington), not exactly excessive. 3 catches a game to Ellington's 1, but Ellington also returns kicks. If you look at the hit he took fully planted, even though it wasn't his healthy leg it would not have mattered. Anybody that takes that hit after just planting their foot to cut has extensive damage to the knee.

Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Not trying to be heartless about Lattimore.... ]

No one begrudges him for working hard and dedicating himself. No one wishes injury to anybody, even if they are on the other side of a bitter rivalry.

I agree in that he is a good kid, hard worker, but it seems they have gone overboard with all of the honors, ralleys and declaring his own special day. Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game and season ending injuries occur every saturday, some even career ending.

He must really be in your head. Why not

Nov 12, 2012, 11:35 PM

ignore this subject?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm am not against honoring outstanding talent or character

Nov 12, 2012, 11:44 PM

it just seems too much too soon. I get a sick feeling every time I see a player laying on the field in pain but that is something every single one of those kids faces when they lace up their cleats.

Amen, Let USCjr worry about Lattimore, he is not a CU player***

Nov 12, 2012, 11:37 PM

How did Spurrier run Latti into the ground? Please expand.***

Nov 13, 2012, 6:08 AM

See my comment above***

Nov 13, 2012, 8:09 AM

We need to do our part.

Nov 13, 2012, 6:18 AM

And make sure the handicapped ramps are in working order in Death Valley.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: We need to do our part.

Nov 13, 2012, 7:39 AM

Point!

We really don't need to do

Nov 13, 2012, 8:36 AM

Anything to help fire up their team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 13, 2012, 9:18 AM

Is this a gcock forum?

Move on...

Lattimore was averaging 15 carries per game

Nov 13, 2012, 10:15 AM

leading up to the Tennessee game. Last year, leading up to the Miss State game he was averaging 23 touches per game.

I don't know anyone that follows football that thinks those numbers represent "running a player into the ground).

Andre Ellington has averaged 22 carries per game for the Tigers this year. Is he being run into the ground?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

no, but at least he's still running.***

Nov 13, 2012, 10:16 AM

"Very, Very Excited, Very, Very Proud" to be a TIGER!!

Clever AND classy.

Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 AM

But my point was where is the justification for the repeated accusations of Spurrier running Marcus into the ground? Tiger fans keep saying it... so it must be true.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: Clever AND classy.

Nov 13, 2012, 10:31 AM

Right before ML got hurt, he and Ellington had the same amount of carries throughout their careers (and I am assuming ML had more receptions) while Ellington had played in at least a full season more than Lattimore.

Agree. That was a thoughtless comment.***

Nov 13, 2012, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Lattimore was averaging 15 carries per game ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lattimore was averaging 15 carries per game

Nov 13, 2012, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Lattimore was averaging 15 carries per game ]

Ellington:

573 career rush attempts
55 receptions
46 games
13.65 touches per game

Lattimore:

555 career rush attempts
74 receptions
29 games
21.69 touches per game

Probably because he missed last year. None of the

Nov 13, 2012, 10:28 AM

dramatics would have occurred if he hadn't missed last year too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 4,331
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic