Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember when blue was an "official" Clemson color?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Remember when blue was an "official" Clemson color?

Nov 22, 2013, 10:16 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Remember when blue was an "official" Clemson color?

Nov 22, 2013, 10:33 AM

> > src="http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/258491-forward-d
> ale-davis-of-the-clemson-tigers-stands-gettyimages.jpg
> ?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=OCUJ5gVf7YdJQI2Xhkc2QFR2nvKKRowD
> MGAKyTli3Hf66LHLnmPYBfWUOwQAotcYgsSI78hTCVx4sbR0W5zd7g
> %3d%3d"

No I don't! I am really old and I don't remmeber that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's official school colors were....

Nov 22, 2013, 10:45 AM

"Burnt Orange", "Northwestern Purple", and "white"

When Clemson re-branded its colors, the names became "Clemson Orange", "Regalia" purple, and "Fort Hill" white.

Although sometimes used in athletics, navy has never been, at least to my knowledge, an official school color.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

^^^^This, this, and more this***

Nov 22, 2013, 10:50 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was going to say. I remember it being used on some

Nov 22, 2013, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Clemson's official school colors were.... ]

striping borders and stuff, but to my knowledge it has never been an official school color.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Heck years ago...

Nov 22, 2013, 11:15 AM

the baseball team used to wear blue jerseys and blue hats (with orange bills). Even the basketball team would occasionally wear navy uniforms.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thus the " ". I didn't think it was ever truly official, but

Nov 22, 2013, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Clemson's official school colors were.... ]

it was used quite prominently in athletics for a period of time somewhere around the late 80s to around 2000, and subsequently in licensed Clemson apparel (hats, sweatshirts, jackets, etc). So much so, that purple definitely took a back seat. The blue basketball uniforms were a good example.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Although I think the NWP used to look more like a deep navy

Nov 22, 2013, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Clemson's official school colors were.... ]

instead of Furman purple.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the purple...

Nov 22, 2013, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Clemson's official school colors were.... ]

Always been a fan of it, it goes as a great trim color for the orange, and I also love the full purple uniforms.

It was blue (or maybe just my tv) back when Tommy West was coach, and I couldn't stand it - looked to blah, like Syracuse.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the all purple unis and I know they stopped wearing them from superstition after losing a few times in them - which is a ridiculous reason - I would like to see them a couple times a year, as well as all orange.

The Solid white is my favorite combo though.

It's funny, these conversations popping up - I've been

Nov 22, 2013, 10:55 AM

debating with my girlfriend for 2 days over a shirt I bought for the game. It looks purple-ish to me, she says it's blue. We went to the link someone provided last night on the .edu page and lists the colors and "to me" it matches perfectly. On the other hand, she thinks I'm crazy am committing sacrilege by even thinking of wearing it. I come from a long line of color blind men in my family, so even though I'm not, she's using that against me. I'm a Citadel alum, so feel I'm okay either way, although I am going as a Clemson fan first, Citadel alum second.

All the Clemson fashionistas!

Re: Remember when blue was an "official" Clemson color?

Nov 22, 2013, 10:58 AM

I though that I remember reading somewhere that Clemson's colors were originally purple and gold.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As the story goes....

Nov 22, 2013, 11:12 AM

The first “colors” of Clemson were purple and gold.

It is extremely doubtful that anyone can tell you with certainty how the Clemson colors swung from purple and gold to the purple and orange we have today.

However, in Joe Sherman's "A History of Clemson Football" (Joe Sherman also wrote "There's Something in These Hills" so I think he's a pretty reliable source), it states,

"Purple and gold were Clemson's colors.... There has been an evolution of colors over the years until they are now closer to purple and orange.

Joe goes o nto say that in the early years of Jess Neely's tenure, he found it almost impossible to get uniforms in purple and gold that were "color fast". In other words, between constant exposure to the weather and the washing machines, the purple and gold faded markedly, and became difficult, if not impossible, to be recognized for what they were supposed to be.

A big economic factor here was the impossibility of adding replacement jerseys or pants to existing sets of uniforms. The newer uniforms made the older ones look ratty indeed. And complete sets of uniforms were hard to finance in the mid-30's.

So, working with color people in the school of textiles and with sporting goods manufacturers, Neely finally arrived at deeper colors (a slightly deeper color and a gold that became orange) that were more color fast in that hey held up to the rays of the sun, the agitations of the washing machine, and the carry-over from season to season.

Re: As the story goes....

Nov 22, 2013, 11:15 AM

I don't know why, but I thought Walter Riggs brought Orange and the Tiger name from Auburn which he took their from his alma mater Princeton.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

This is what I've always heard as well

Nov 22, 2013, 11:22 AM

Uniform colors came from faded Auburn jerseys brought over by Walter Riggs when he made the move to Clemson. Makes sense to me.. it was a different era.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too.***

Nov 22, 2013, 11:26 AM

- H. L. Mencken

I had always heard

Nov 22, 2013, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: As the story goes.... ]

That Riggs brought old uniforms from Auburn when he started the football program, but the navy blue in the uniforms had faded to a purplish hue.

I would swear on a stack of Bibles

Nov 22, 2013, 12:55 PM [ in reply to As the story goes.... ]

that in my (1995) graduation program it stated that Clemson "Student Colors" were orange and white, while "University Colors" were purple and gold.

It was also my understanding that until the late 90's, navy blue was an official or quasi-official "athletic department color" but was not a university color.

Correct- Student body colors are orange/white and I have

Nov 22, 2013, 2:25 PM

never understood the confusion with so many tiger fans or Clemson grads- if you don't believe stare at that Tiger paper you received at graduation on your wall. Only purple and gold in that seal, there is not a spec of orange or white.

Funny thing about that. Mine is still a nice purple and

Nov 22, 2013, 3:23 PM

gold. On my wife's, however, both the gold and purple have faded to where the gold looks orange and the purple looks navy with a red/orange hue. They are side by side on the wall too.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember navy blue was used in the 80's as an accent

Nov 22, 2013, 11:01 AM

color.....Our offical color..purple was brought back when TB was coach....I love the purple but only as a accent color. ;)

I'm glad Purple is back..that looks like a UVA uniform...

Nov 22, 2013, 11:32 AM

I remember when I first started following Clemson (late 80's), I thought the school colors were orange and navy. I didn't know purple was the color till Ken Hatfield re-introduced it (that game against NC State was amazing).

Tommy West brought the navy back, but Rick Barnes brought purple out for the Basketball team.

Tommy Bowden started out with navy, but then switched to purple. I believe the purple pants came first (NC State 2002 maybe).

Shyatt and Brownell have kept the purple for the Basketball teams, and Leggett keeps purple too.

I'm glad for it. I don't want Clemson to look like Syracuse / UVA / Denver Broncos / Illinois / etc...

my sentiments exactly....spot on***

Nov 22, 2013, 11:34 AM

Exactly....

Nov 22, 2013, 11:51 AM [ in reply to I'm glad Purple is back..that looks like a UVA uniform... ]

we're not Princeton, we're not Auburn and we're not Virginia.

We're Clemson !!!!

Interestingly, UVa's original colors were grey and cardinal red as a tribute to Confederate grey uniforms stained with Southern blood.

However, those colors did not show up very well on dirty football fields as the school was sporting its first team, so a meeting of the student body was called, and a star player showed up wearing a navy blue and orange scarf he had brought back from a University of Oxford summer rowing expedition. The colors were chosen when another student pulled the scarf from the player's neck, waved it to the crowd and yelled: "How will this do?"

Auburn's colors of navy blue and orange were chosen by Dr. George Petrie, Auburn’s first football coach, based on those of his alma mater, the University of Virginia.

i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one

Nov 22, 2013, 11:57 AM

who takes pride in the fact that Clemson uses colors nobody else does. Little things like that should be used as sources of pride instead of conformity. It's called esprit de corps in the military and it's builds intangible pride and swagger....concepts that some who don't "get it" ridicule but those who "get it" completely understand.

No

Nov 22, 2013, 12:17 PM

But I remember when it was used

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Again, it wasn't really official, but was used so often

Nov 22, 2013, 12:55 PM

and so prominently that someone who was not familiar with Clemson would have assumed that it was, and would have been unaware that purple was an official color.

- H. L. Mencken

Almost positive it was an official color for Athletic Dept

Nov 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

but not for the University itself. If not official, then quasi-official.

Personally I'm glad it's gone. I vastly prefer the purple and orange.

Pretty sure Danny started the navy blue trend*******

Nov 22, 2013, 2:43 PM

These throwbacks look blue as well...

Nov 22, 2013, 12:58 PM

Man, I wish we had Dale Davis and Eden back***

Nov 22, 2013, 2:45 PM

Elden***

Nov 22, 2013, 2:57 PM

No - because it never has been. Period.***

Nov 22, 2013, 3:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

That was my time at Clemson and remember the navy

Nov 22, 2013, 5:09 PM

I remember seeing one piece of clothing with purple and that was a pair of women's running shorts I bought for a girlfriend.

I do not miss the navy blue. I'm a big fan of the purple.

I also remember a rocking Littlejohn with Elden, Dale, and Cliff Ellis hitting the JUCO's for players. Good times making fun of Danny Ferry when he would come to town.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic