Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs Miami - what does the data indicate?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Clemson vs Miami - what does the data indicate?

Nov 27, 2017, 10:13 PM

I've been crunching the numbers to see how we match up against Miami. Just about every number I can find favors Clemson. Let's start with a comparison of the ACC Atlantic and Coastal Divisions:

In the chart above, W=winning record (i.e. 51% or more wins), E=even record (i.e. 50% wins, 50% losses), L=losing record (i.e. 49% or less wins).

Just as we all suspected, the competition in the Atlantic is significantly better than the Coastal. 71% of the teams (5 total) in the Atlantic have overall winning records. (i.e. 51% or more wins) Only 29% of Coastal teams (2 total) have overall winning records (51% or more wins). The Atlantic already has 5 teams bowl eligible (will probably be 6 if FSU wins this weekend) while the Coastal has 4 bowl eligible teams. Next look at the Atlantic vs Coastal head to head competition. In matchups between Atlantic vs Coastal teams, the Atlantic Division has won 9 of the 14 games with the Coastal winning only 5 of those matchups. In short the Atlantic wins 64% of the time against Coastal teams.

Advantage: Atlantic Division Champ

Next I looked at the schedule and quality of wins of Clemson and Miami. Here are the facts:

Clemson and Miami have 4 common opponents (FSU, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, and Georgia Tech). Only the Georgia Tech game is really comparable as it was the only game where both Clemson and Miami played Georgia Tech at home thus both having home field advantage. I will not ignore the Syracuse loss - it was a horrible loss for Clemson. Syracuse beat us in the Dome and finished with a 4-8 record. Likewise, the Pittsburgh loss for Miami is almost just as bad as Pittsburgh finished the season with a 5-7 record. Funny thing is that Miami beat Syracuse yet Syracuse beat Pittsburgh - just proves the transitive property does not apply to College Football.

Clemson has beaten 7 Power 5 teams with a winning record. Miami has beaten 2 Power 5 teams with a winning record. Clemson has beaten a total of 7 teams with winning records, Miami has beaten 4 teams with winning records. Clemson has a stronger body of work against tougher competition. Digging further into the wins, Clemson's best home win is against Auburn (11th ranked Total Defense, 18th ranked Total Offense), and Clemson's best road win is against Virginia Tech (13th ranked Total Defense, 61st ranked Total Offense). Miami's best home win was against Notre Dame (44th ranked Total Defense, 26th ranked Total Offense) and Miami's best road win is against Duke (23rd ranked Total Defense, 92nd ranked Total Offense). In both cases Clemson has beaten a better opponent at home and on the road.

Next I looked at the Clemson vs Miami team stats. Clemson has the 6th ranked Total Defense, and the 24th ranked Total Offense. Miami has the 41st ranked Total Defense, and the 44th ranked Total Offense. Clemson holds the advantage in Rushing Defense, Passing Defense, and Rushing Offense. Miami holds a 14.9 yards per game advantage in Passing Offense. Based on the competition levels previously discussed along with the fact the Bryant is a 66.4% completion passer compared to Rosier's 55.3% completion record, the overall stats indicate advantage to Clemson.

Lastly, I looked at Clemson's depth data. Here is a listing of playing time by Offense and Defense by position group through all 12 games this year:

As you can see we have an abundance of not only talent but experience in our 2 and 3 deep. We are almost at the point to where every position has at least 100(+) live game experience in every backup. I don't have such data for Miami, but my suspicion is that Miami does not have anywhere near the experienced depth of Clemson and that could be a big factor in this matchup.

Conclusions:
Clemson has played tougher competition than Miami and has won in tougher environments. Miami has played 4 away games this year (Duke, FSU, UNC, Pittsburgh), 0 of which were against teams with winning records (i.e. 51% wins or more). Miami won 3 of those 4 away games. Clemson played 5 away games this year, 4 of which were against teams with winning records (Louisville, VT, NC State, USuC) but lost to the one team with a losing record (Syracuse). To put it mildly, Miami has not been tested on the road and has yet to prove that they can beat a team outside the confines of Miami-Dade county that has a pulse.

Miami is a team whose trend has been to play to the level of competition. Much like Clemson under Tommy Bowden and the first couple of years under Dabo, Miami is a roller coaster team that can play like world beaters one week and look very pedestrian the next. This roller coaster affect was visible in their wins against FSU, Georgia Tech, UNC, and finally caught up with them in their loss to Pittsburgh. I believe this "playing to the level of competition" trait is a sign of Miami's inexperience and lack of maturity as a program.

Experience - This is Clemson's 3rd ACC Championship game in a row. We have been through 2 College Playoff Games and 2 National Championship games in the past 2 years. The Tigers have become accustomed to these types of games as to where Miami has no one on their roster that has sniffed this kind of rarefied air. Can Miami handle the big moment at night, away from Miami-Dade county, in front of a hostile crowd? At the end of the day, no one really knows how Miami is going to react to the pressure/excitement of playing for a Championship but I will take the experienced team every time over the novice - especially one that has yet to play a top ranked team on the road.

Prediction: There is a reason Vegas has us favored in this game. Everything I've looked at tells me that Clemson wins this game - and it might not be as close as the experts would have us believe. As long as Clemson continues to play to our Championship season norm while limiting turnovers (hopefully none), Clemson will be the 2017 ACC Champions late Saturday night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs Miami - what does the data indicate?

Nov 27, 2017, 10:26 PM

Great read. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2017, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the awesome analysis. 1 comment - isn't it a characteristic of Richt teams to play to the level of their competition? Seems like I remember ugay doing that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2017, 10:34 PM

> Thanks for the awesome analysis. 1 comment - isn't it
> a characteristic of Richt teams to play to the level
> of their competition? Seems like I remember ugay
> doing that.

I like Mark Richt (Miami not so much) but yes - his teams have had that roller coaster trait. Seems he and Tommy Bowden are very similar in that regard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2017, 10:41 PM

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for putting together all of the info.

Nov 27, 2017, 10:52 PM

Appreciate the stats and write up, well done.

Go Tigers!

Syracuse's QB Eric Dungey has also been out the last month

Nov 27, 2017, 10:48 PM

Got injured during the FSU game. Didn't play the last 3 to 4 games, and they plummeted
even more. Just sayin'.

Nicely done

Nov 27, 2017, 10:51 PM

It will be a little closer than 58-0. Not sure how much ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Nov 27, 2017, 10:52 PM

Miami is playing with 73 scholarship players and Rosier, the QB, has no business leading a P5 team into battle. Miami is without an experienced TE, has little depth in the OL, at RB and in the secondary.

They have an extremely good recruiting class coming in that will bring it's scholarship numbers back to what one would expect of a school at this level. The future is bright. However, by any measure, the fact they have arrived one or two years earlier than expected after over a decade of coaching incompetence and sanctions, speaks well of Richt and his staff who spend most of their time game planning around their QB's many deficiencies.

By any measure this game should not be close. However, they play the game for a reason.

Nov 27, 2017, 10:55 PM

Well done. Thanks for the info.

Nov 27, 2017, 11:36 PM

The data indicates we win, and they lose. No other way to interpret it. Thanks for such an in depth analysis. I predict a Clemson win in fine fashion. We do need to keep our foot on the gas all night and exploit their lack of quality depth, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for the great analysis and thanks for your service!!***

Nov 28, 2017, 6:57 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2017, 8:00 AM

I especially appreciate your tabulation of snaps!

I too, agree that the ACCCG ‘should’ be a W for us, and feel pretty damb good about how we match up with ANY body else we would face in the CFP, too.

Know we have some great players in the queue at all positions, but how about next year’s OL...

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 28, 2017, 8:13 AM

I think our OL will be very good again next year. Falcinelli is listed as a GR but has another year of eligibility and we have some quality depth at the tackle position. Only concern may be at right guard in replacing Crowder but we do have some talented guys behind him. Wouldn't it be insane if Hyatt stays his senior year?

As much as I sometimes wish Dabo would keep the starters in to run up the score he has done the wise thing and built game experience depth at almost every position that will serve us well through Championship season and especially next year. This is how you reload and not rebuild a program...

tabbyplague is one of the one or two best user names on TNet

Nov 28, 2017, 8:13 AM

The other?

I would say ElectricAuntJemima (or close derivation) is the other.

As far as the content of the OPs post, I can't really say much.

As soon as I saw tables it reminded me of my job and hours of hell spent in Excel and Google Docs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All right. Good. Good job.

Nov 28, 2017, 9:33 AM

No need to worry then.

Funny!

Nov 28, 2017, 9:35 AM

All that analysis and buildup, worthy of the best bean counters, and when crescendo time arrives, no score prediction. I won't say what this compares to.

Re: Funny!

Nov 28, 2017, 8:12 PM

> All that analysis and buildup, worthy of the best
> bean counters, and when crescendo time arrives, no
> score prediction. I won't say what this compares to.

I'm guessing you are the guy in the lower right...

The purpose of the data was not to provide a score but to give a comparison of the two teams based on the regular season records. But, since you asked:

Clemson 35
Miami 17 (one final score in garbage time)

Another "I -get-easily-offended" post

Nov 29, 2017, 1:27 PM

It was none of the four, since none of the four thought the glass was humorous. You must not have read my post. First word: funny! But you took it wrong, of course.

Re: Another "I -get-easily-offended" post

Nov 29, 2017, 1:57 PM

I was not the least bit offended by your post but simply explained the original intent of the OP, provided the information you thought was missing (score prediction) and provided some humor in return from an old Gary Larson "The Far Side" comic. I guess you don't get my humor and took it wrong, of course...

Nov 29, 2017, 3:27 PM

WOW!

I truly appreciate the time and data based approach you applied to this tabby!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic