Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson to Big 12?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

Clemson to Big 12?

Dec 15, 2012, 8:52 PM

There have been rumors around the net for months that Clemson may join the Big 12. What do CU fans think of this potential move? I think it would be great to get away from the backloaded $17 million ACC tv contract with no tier 3s, but that's just my opinion, and rooting for OU probably does make me biased.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson to Big 12?

Dec 15, 2012, 8:55 PM

Dec 15, 2012, 9:02 PM

Exactly, and not worth a word said!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2012, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Big 12? ]

Now that's funny, and so true!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I, for one, hope we make the leap to the Big 12.***

Dec 15, 2012, 8:57 PM

Re: I, for one, hope we make the leap to the Big 12.- I dont

Dec 15, 2012, 8:59 PM

no interest in the Big 12. None

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And if GT and UVA leave for the BIG 10, will that still be

Dec 15, 2012, 9:04 PM

your answer?

Re: And if GT and UVA leave for the BIG 10, will that still be

Dec 15, 2012, 9:06 PM

If my answer wasnt crystal clear that is on you. No interest

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2012, 9:10 PM

Just wanted to make sure. If those 2 leave for the Big 10 while VT and NC State leave for the SEC, we won't have much of a football future, in my opinion.

Dec 17, 2012, 7:55 AM [ in reply to And if GT and UVA leave for the BIG 10, will that still be ]

That would be a whole new thread with what then would be the best for Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: agree***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I, for one, hope we make the leap to the Big 12.- I dont ]

Also agree. ******

Dec 16, 2012, 1:41 PM

null

LMFAO

Dec 15, 2012, 8:58 PM

LOL, the little 10 is on a death watch. why would a school like Clemson, rich in tradition and honor, want to go there to die

we can help ou and osu pack for the sec. it's the christian

Dec 15, 2012, 8:59 PM

thing to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LMFAO

Dec 16, 2012, 9:49 AM [ in reply to LMFAO ]

Death watch? Maybe a year or two ago but I think the Big 12 has actually rebounded pretty well. Even with 10 members, I believe they are a better football conference than the ACC

Re: LMFAO

Dec 17, 2012, 3:05 PM

believe? there isn't any doubt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2012, 9:04 PM

IMHO we sure need to go to the Big 12!!! the ACc is dying and barker will put us in that grave along with UNC and Duke

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC would be a much better fit for Clemson...No need to be Texas and OU's little biotch like the rest of the Big 12..They are the face of the B12 and get all the attention,tv deals etc...

the ACC is dying so quickly that it's added two teams***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Big 12? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the ACC is dying so quickly that it's added two teams***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:15 PM

yes.. 2 baskb teams!! and ACc will add 2 more baskb teams soon and what will the aCC have then???nothing in football!!

Pitt and UofL have pretty good football traditions***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:23 PM

Re: Pitt and UofL have pretty good football traditions***

Dec 16, 2012, 9:51 AM

When is the last time they actually made a huge impact?

Dec 16, 2012, 6:43 PM

L'Ville has had more success in the decade than CU, with BCS victories and multiple conference titles. Pitt also has a BCS appearance and in the last 10 years has more top 15 finishes in the polls than CU.

Dec 16, 2012, 7:00 PM

Pitt was blown out in the Fiesta by Utah and has had only one 10 win season since 1981. Has only one 9 win season since '82. Louisville has had more sucess but c'mon...won the Orange Bowl aginst Wake. But I will say that I think the addition of L'ville was a good move....more so than Pitt and 'Cuse

Pitt Knocked WVU out of the MNC one year

Dec 16, 2012, 7:23 PM

That's about all I can remember them doing.

They have put some very good players into the league though (Revis, Fitzgerald, McCoy, Stephens-Howling).

Re: Pitt Knocked WVU out of the MNC one year

Dec 16, 2012, 7:26 PM

they have put some talent in the NFL...no question about that

Re: And good ones too.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:26 PM [ in reply to the ACC is dying so quickly that it's added two teams*** ]

I would not mind if we can bring other ACC teams with us

to form an eastern division.(FSU,GT,NCSTATE,VT,Louisville)

So, if GT and UVA go to the Big 10, whike VT and NC State

Dec 15, 2012, 9:08 PM

go to the SEC, will you still say "NO" to the Big 12?

give it a rest

Dec 15, 2012, 9:09 PM

I swear. just ridiculous. apparently you just copy the same post over and over

This is a message board for discussion. No one put a gun to

Dec 15, 2012, 9:11 PM

your head forcing you to read my posts.

Re: This is a message board for discussion. No one put a gun to

Dec 15, 2012, 9:13 PM

you could at least make a little effort. same post over and over and over and over. weak

I did not start this thread. Again, no one forces you to

Dec 15, 2012, 9:15 PM

r\read my posts.

if the ACC is so strong then why did the SEC create a bowl

Dec 15, 2012, 9:19 PM

game with the BIG12

I'm not the one claiming the ACC is strong.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:20 PM

not meant for you just people with their head of their ###***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:27 PM

Yes, they are delusional.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:32 PM

Re: if the ACC is so strong then why did the SEC create a bo

Dec 16, 2012, 8:31 PM [ in reply to if the ACC is so strong then why did the SEC create a bowl ]

i dont think the big12 is much stronger than the acc but that champions bowl deal says alot. the sec wants to foster the perception that the big12 is one of the four big conferences. they want to do that to shake the acc. they want to shake the acc because the acc is in their backyard and has teams they want. if the sec thought they could get texas and oklahoma they would probably back the acc. after those two teams though there isnt really anymore desirable programs. the acc has multiple desirable schools. the acc has more potential than the big 12. thats why the sec and b1g are squezzing them while they are down. its a perfect time to try and grab some good programs and get rid of a potentially strong conference that highly overlaps your recruiting base.

as for the original post, i like tradition and wish everyone had stopped at 12 teams with the 6 big conferences. thats done though. i can see the acc fighting with a last ditch effort to save itself but its running out of time. it better produce on the field starting next year. if it looks any weaker and maryland gets out of paying the big chunk of change, someone else will jump and that will be it. not enough football schools left to find replacements. if it gets to that point, clemson has to go. too many rabid fans, resources, and tradition to not protect its football program. midmajors dont have 80000+ fans at games. clemson cant give up that revenue, plus potential tv money, for all the tradition in the world. plus, while you would have to rebuild some tradition, it would be a pretty good and interesting conference.

Re: if the ACC is so strong then why did the SEC create a bo

Dec 16, 2012, 8:36 PM

good post.. well thought out..where the ACC - swoffie- dropped the ball was refusing to take Texas, Texas Tech, OK & Ok State,,, he took Pitt and Syrac instead because of baskt!!

Re: He sounds like a vaccinated victorla***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a message board for discussion. No one put a gun to ]

Re: victrola***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:28 PM

Classy.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: He sounds like a vaccinated victorla*** ]

stay by your computers!!

Dec 15, 2012, 9:07 PM

I, for one, would not like that move at all. I like our rivalries in the ACC, and I don't care to have all of our games out in the southwest.

would like it IF FSU, GT, and another came with us.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2012, 9:20 PM

Not a good move, how many fans can/wanna travel to Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas for away games? Tired of all the talk about conference changes; it's ruining college football

who cares ...if can fly to boston you can fly west for bette

Dec 15, 2012, 9:26 PM

r football,.........its about eyeballs on the screen not butts in the seats

Dec 15, 2012, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Big 12? ]

Just go look at WVu BB schedule and tell me you would want Clemson to play something like that .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2012, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson to Big 12? ]

Tito,

I would venture to say Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Christian, Texas Tech, WVU and a host of others from the Big 12 will buy up their allotment at DV rather quickly while on the other hand Duke, WF, Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt and the rest of the bs ACC schools will not.

Do not go the travel excuse on me as we just added a school in freaking New York and already have one in Miami. You don't want to use that travel excuse. Its already bad.

Dec 15, 2012, 9:56 PM

Being a student, I'm seeing it through a student's perspective. It's not like the majority can afford plane tickets and me and my fellow roadtrippers were able to make it to away games in North Carolina in a day; can't do that in the midwest and the only game we missed this year was at BC.

Dec 15, 2012, 9:58 PM

Cry me a river. When I was a student we road tripped to Miami twice, FSU twice, BC, and a ton of the bowl games. You guys are getting soft and it shows in the stands. Step. It. Up.

Dec 15, 2012, 10:05 PM

Well good for you. We go to the bowl games and the reasonable road trips. Send me some of your extra cash and we might make it to a Miami or BC game

Dec 15, 2012, 10:10 PM

Worked 2 jobs and pooled the cash with the roommates. Stop making excuses. I know one thing. If Clemson is set to play Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, WVU, Okla St, and on.....IM FINDING A WAY TO MAKE THOSE GAMES.

The excuses on here are getting old.

You may be the minority

Dec 15, 2012, 10:21 PM

Even though it would be a stronger conference overall, it becomes a serious decision to go to an away game. Playing at UNC, GT, NCState, etc. is a lot easier decision for many fans now, right? You may still have a reason to not go, but when you decide it's not a flight or long drive and lots of time involved.

I seem to recall a poll on Tnet found more in favor of

Dec 15, 2012, 10:30 PM

jumping to the Big 12.

How many who regularly go to games also...

Dec 16, 2012, 11:34 AM

...routinely visit TNet much less voted in this poll you suggested?

My only point it this: Having to decide to get in a car and drive for 2, 3, 4 hours on a Saturday is a heck of a lot easier than either making the same decision to drive 8, 9, 10 hours and more, or worse, to have to decide to fly on Saturday or Friday and back.

Sure, some will do it because they are committed. Many may not, and some maybe just can't afford it but once a season. Remember, Chestnut Hill (BC) is as far as Fort Worth (TCU) or Lawrence (KS) just to pick two random Big 12 teams. And how many people travel to those games?? (Yeah, I know about the caliber of play. Still...)

I have always agreed about the travel disadvantage.

Dec 16, 2012, 12:26 PM

I don't think the ACC will be a good alternative if some of the schools are picked off by the SEC and Big 10. And when the SEC redoes its TV deals, we may need to go to the Big 12. If the Big 12 adds the states of Florida and SC to their portfolio, they might get one heck of a TV deal. I think adding Clemson and FSU, would make the Big 12 a great football conference.I wouldn't make snap judgments or jump to conclusions regarding the Big 12. At the very least, I hope that the Clemson BOT and Administration are keping this on the table.

Nah, We're holding out for the Big 10.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:32 PM

Re: Nah, We're holding out for the Big 10.***

Dec 15, 2012, 9:48 PM

We are holding out for SEC and will take the Big 12 as a fall back

FIFY

I'm surprised at the opposition to the Big 12.

Dec 15, 2012, 10:20 PM

I think it would be a good move for you guys, especially since the SEC is a long, long shot.

we are good

Dec 16, 2012, 7:19 PM

Great, respected conference both academically and athletically, student athletes actually attend class and graduate

Chicken Little Get a Life! THE ACC is our Conference!!***'***

Dec 15, 2012, 10:36 PM

The ACC is healing: "How the ACC was saved"

Dec 16, 2012, 12:47 PM

I think the ACC was saved and I think we can improve our bowl lineup.

http://ryankantor.com/2012/12/16/the-acc-figured-it-out-just-in-time-time-to-plunder-the-big-east-again/

Dec 16, 2012, 1:00 AM

There are more important things than going to away games.

Like keeping SEC teams from poaching our coaches by paying them fistfuls more money than we can.

The ACC has ceased to be a regional conference anyway, might as well join a conference that gives you the money to stay competitive. This boat is riding low in the water, best be bailing out before it goes under as its just picking up dead weight in Pitt, and 'cuse.

I would have preferred that the ACC had gotten more competitive in recent years, but it hasn't. Good Programs have just gotten worse, UM, VT, BC. Two wins in BSC games. It lost the Gator Bowl. All at a time when power conferences are getting richer and expanding.

Dec 16, 2012, 10:43 AM

Welcome to the board sooner fan.

We have two sides on this..

Some of us are so sick of the ACC and are ready to leave for all the reasons you mentioned.

The others are more hoping to land ND and things stabilize.

Dec 16, 2012, 2:34 PM

I think we need to get an NFL franchise. :)

LOL, I can't believe you all are still having this discussio

Dec 16, 2012, 2:40 PM

I would rather join the Southern Conference than the little 10, sure would be convenient

Re: LOL, I can't believe you all are still having this discussio

Dec 16, 2012, 2:48 PM

I hope the BOT does what is in the long term best interest of Clemson University.

Re: LOL, I can't believe you all are still having this discussio

Dec 16, 2012, 3:25 PM

I think the SEC is the best fit geographically/culturally for Clemson, FSU, Miami, & GT. (not for academics though)

However, those schools are competitors of institutions that are already in the SEC, and those institutions don't want to lose the edge that affiliation with the SEC gives their football programs in recruiting.

Having said that, I think those 4 institutions are better off focusing on ways to improve their own individual programs and their current conference rather than hoping for an invitation to the SEC. (I don't see it happening)

I think if the ACC were to focus on locking up the Atlantic Coast (and therefore the largest market) and had the leadership to make the ACC one of the elite conferences, then those institutions would be in good shape. Losing Maryland hurt the ACC IMO. Not because of the competitiveness of their football program, but it has allowed the Big 10 to expand into one of the largest markets. (DC)

Although I think the Notre Dame football brand is an undeniable boost to any conference, (especially if they joined completely) I
would prefer the ACC focus on the atlantic coast. I think Georgetown, UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland, West Virginia, Penn State, Florida, and South Carolina are all better options for the ACC.
(at least geographically) However, not all of these schools would improve the ACC as a football conference.

DC Market is abysmal for College football. DC

Dec 16, 2012, 7:33 PM

and Baltimore are definitely pro towns.

Re: DC Market is abysmal for College football. DC

Dec 17, 2012, 1:04 PM

Maryland, Virginia & Georgetown haven't been football powerhouses, but Virginia Tech (until this season) has been one of the better programs for the last decade.

Blacksburg is 300 miles from DC. Not exactly the DC market,

Dec 17, 2012, 1:45 PM

and even if it were, good teams or not, the market for college football sucks. I live in Richmond, VA. College football is small beans in this entire area.

Re: Blacksburg is 300 miles from DC. Not exactly the DC market,

Dec 17, 2012, 10:41 PM

Redskins & Ravens?

Re: Re: Clemson to Big 12?

Dec 16, 2012, 2:49 PM

I agree, the Big 12 makes no sense, financially or geographically!

Why would teams from east fill a conference in the west

Dec 16, 2012, 2:57 PM

I see OU and OSU going to Pac 12. Kansas and K St Big 10. Texas either Independent or ACC. The rest scrambling to get a conference.

defies logic***

Dec 16, 2012, 3:02 PM

Agree. Big 12 is doomed

Dec 16, 2012, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Why would teams from east fill a conference in the west ]

PAC 12 will enventually expand. The ACC could have killed it by taking W Virginia when they had the chance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. Big 12 is doomed

Dec 16, 2012, 4:16 PM

I think the Big 12 made a mistake not going after a Cincy or Louisville but I don't think they are doomed. They will eventually expand. Still a better football product than the ACC.

OMG what has to happen to end this silly string ?***

Dec 16, 2012, 7:35 PM

Re: OMG what has to happen to end this silly string ?***

Dec 16, 2012, 7:49 PM

can't wait for the sec. CU and FSU baby.

Gag***

Dec 16, 2012, 7:54 PM

All I can say is...

Dec 16, 2012, 8:48 PM

I would like to, just not sure if its going happen.

I hope so, but we won't until the ACC is a non-AQ.

Dec 16, 2012, 9:00 PM

nm.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bring Fsu, GT, Nc St, VT, and one more to make an

Dec 17, 2012, 2:48 PM

eastern division im all for it

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic