Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson needs a fastpitch softball team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Clemson needs a fastpitch softball team

Feb 16, 2013, 6:42 AM

Coots have one as do most of the colleges in the state and 8 or 9 teams in the ACC. Took our travel team last year to watch the USuCk vs. Auburn game and the stands were packed. The ladycocks just built a 12 million dollar stadium. Maybe one day we'll see the lady tigers on the diamond.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What sport would we lose to get it?

Feb 16, 2013, 7:05 AM

Soccer?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd be fine with that but I'm sure others wouldn't...rowing

Feb 16, 2013, 11:52 AM

Could be eliminated as far as I'm concerned.

pony up the millions and millions of dollars it would take

Feb 16, 2013, 12:03 PM

and you'll have your dream.

I'm talking like 30-50 mil here...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Women's basketball.***

Feb 16, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to What sport would we lose to get it? ]

Re: Clemson needs a fastpitch softball team

Feb 16, 2013, 7:06 AM

Your going to have to lose one women's sport to gain another. Which one would you cut (it would have to match the number of scholarships or come pretty close). I am guessing you would cut women's soccer?

absolutely 100% agree

Feb 16, 2013, 7:10 AM

I've yet to understand why this has not been addressed. as big as softball is in this part of the country why we do not have a team. i have 2 daughters that play theirselves and they ask why Clemson doesn't have a team. it's crazy. start a #### team. let's get it done. universities with a quarter of our budget have softball teams. what are we doing.

Re: absolutely 100% agree

Feb 16, 2013, 7:15 AM

What are we doing? Not throwing money away into another women's sport that likely will be a money drain. If your going to offer a women's sport softball is the way to go. I think some fans would support this program. That being said you would have to cut another women's program to get this done.

So who is it going to be? Those other smaller schools with a quarter of our budget don't offer 9 different athletic teams for women. Your justification is a little bogus.

palmettoson

Feb 16, 2013, 7:24 AM

8 of the current acc schools have softball programs. all 14 sec schools offer softball programs. so are you saying we can't match them. and why is it necessary to cut a sport in order to add one. do all these other schools not have just as many sports?

most don't have "rowing" teams probably but I would enjoy

Feb 16, 2013, 7:55 AM

softball much much more. I have nothing against rowing. I'm just saying, given a choice, I prefer softball over rowing any day as a spectator sport.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: palmettoson

Feb 16, 2013, 9:13 AM [ in reply to palmettoson ]

The answer to your question is obvious if you cared to do any research whatsoever. Out of those 8 ACC schools how many offer women's golf or women's rowing? I would venture to say not all. Clemson chose its path of women's golf and women's rowing (the path of least resistance). I don't disagree with that considering the financial commitment you have to make to your revenue generators (you know the sports that make the money for your women's golf, women's rowing, diving, men's and womens soccer, track and field). Without a hefty investment in the revenue generators you have no other programs.

You want softball your going to have to cut 1 women's program (more than likely 2 because of the scholarship count)

we would be able to build a competitive team

Feb 16, 2013, 7:19 AM [ in reply to absolutely 100% agree ]

in no time. there are so many girls who would love to play softball at Clemson but get forced to either choose another school or give up their dream of playing college softball to go to Clemson. Julie Surratt, Justin's sister, is a prime example. great player, wanted to go to Clemson, brother was already here on the baseball team. chose to go to south Carolina to play. that's terrible. we're too big of a university not to get this done.

Re: we would be able to build a competitive team

Feb 16, 2013, 9:18 AM

I understand that someone wants to come play here. I want to run down the hill against UGA. Aint happening. Just because you want something and we are a big university doesn't make it right.

Nobody is attending these games. Schools are cutting back on the number of sports they offer yearly. I don't see how we are in a financial situation where we can afford to add another money drain.

Surely you understand this. As far as other schools having softball teams I am sure they are thinking what they can do right now to avoid that long red line at the end of the season. You have to offer and spend money on what people actually want to watch (and pay money for). Its no different than a business.

You need to do a little research...many of the top teams

Feb 16, 2013, 12:01 PM

have close to capacity attendance. This is also true of many of the smaller schools. USCA, USCB, USC upstate, Coastal, CoC, etc. I doubt you ever make money but other than initial $ it is not the drain you think it is.

Cut women's soccer, How many people attend their games?

Feb 16, 2013, 7:48 AM

Softball might actually attract more than 27 people to their games. Either way you lose money but maybe we lose less this way.

Re: Cut women's soccer, How many people attend their games?

Feb 16, 2013, 8:02 AM

Here's an idea, cut women's basketball! We have sucked since Jim Davis was fired!

what travel teams do your kids play for

Feb 16, 2013, 8:09 AM

My daughter plays for the Carolina crush.

Re: what travel teams do your kids play for

Feb 16, 2013, 11:21 AM

My daughter has already graduated College..but I still am head coach in the Atlanta Vipers Fastpitchpitch Organization without a kid playing. Love the sport to death.
Sucks to see our kids sign every year with FSU, KY, SC, UGA..etc..etc...
You would be shocked how many of these kids in Atlanta area would go to Clemson...Doesn't a week go by at tournaments/showcases etc where I don't get asked "Why doesn't Clemson have a team"....

Re: what travel teams do your kids play for

Feb 17, 2013, 3:18 PM

Clemson should definitely have a team...I played fast pitch softball and turned down a softball scholarship to another school to persue engineering at clemson. I played club ball the entire time I was there. I actually played for the Atlanta vipers my freshman yr at clemson so that I could play even more. It is sad to see so much talent around the area go to other schools b.c we do not have a team.

Why cut another womens team? Add wrestling back for men

Feb 16, 2013, 8:29 AM

Minimal expense for the sweat hogs & Coach Ford has a tractor to make a softball field for the girls.

Re: Why cut another womens team? Add wrestling back for men

Feb 16, 2013, 8:36 AM

I think both sports would help Clemson. If the ACC starts the ACC network would be good for Clemson to be seen on it.

They could dump rowing

Feb 16, 2013, 8:42 AM

like anyone really gives a crap about that; not to mention what they spend on those boats. Around here girls are playing softball in high school, not sitting in boats screaming "row" at each other.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let's start a petition

Feb 16, 2013, 9:03 AM

to start a girls softball team. we're one of the only major schools in this part of the country that doesn't have one. makes absolutely no sense. women's softball is one of the fastest growing sports in the country. time for us to get on board!

Re: let's start a petition

Feb 16, 2013, 9:18 AM

Lets not.

Re: They could dump rowing

Feb 16, 2013, 9:05 AM [ in reply to They could dump rowing ]

Some people on here must think money grows on trees. In order to add a program we must cut a program. You cannot drain our financial resources just because your daughter plays on a travel softball team. I think softball would be a great addition, but in order to get that softball program you are going to have to cut a women's program.

If you add 11 scholarships, fund a new facility, and pay salaries to coaches in a women's program that will not be a non revenue generator then your going to have to cut a current women's program.

Cut the Rowing Program would be your best plan to get a softball program. Neither one of them will generate revenue, but at least softball will have some fans in the stands paying money.

Which team has the ugliest women...

Feb 16, 2013, 9:52 AM

decision done ;).

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Softball by a mile.....***

Feb 16, 2013, 1:39 PM

Feb 16, 2013, 9:04 AM

It sound real good to have a SB team, but in reality fans just don't support it. A coot friend of mine has a daughter that plays for Scar and they were at a tournament in Florida last weekend with 2 other teams and the average attendance was ~ 150 a game. Take a away all the parents there and I bet there was only 75 actual fans. So, building a 12 million dollar stadium as the coots did dosen't make a lot of sense to me. It would have to be something supported by the larger supports to survive.

Feb 16, 2013, 9:08 AM

To be fair a softball stadium does not cost 12 million. You can build one on the cheap. You are correct in that adding the sport would be just another financial burden on CUAD. It is for the best that they do not add any more women's programs in the foreseeable future. Right now with all of the uncertainty you have to focus on football, men's basketball, and baseball. For the fiscal health of our dept.

a much higher number of womens sports in the SEC***

Feb 16, 2013, 9:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: a much higher number of womens sports in the SEC***

Feb 16, 2013, 9:09 AM

Thats because they have a much higher revenue. Meaning they can afford to throw benjamins in a trash can and light them on fire. We cannot afford to offer any more women's programs.

For those of you who don't know we actually offer more women's programs than men's. 9 womens and only 8 mens.

Feb 16, 2013, 11:25 AM

People would be surprised at some of the attendence #'s for home SEC/ACC softball games.
Bama everaged a little of 2K per game last year...averaged..

YES! and also a Women's Beach Volleyball team and

Feb 16, 2013, 11:58 AM

the guys should get a Lacrosse Team, bring BACK Swimming also

I agree...I coached for 10 years and always wondered why

Feb 16, 2013, 4:02 PM

rowing and no softball???

Agree. If the cooties can have an equestrian (horse) team

Feb 16, 2013, 4:18 PM

and a softball team, surely Clemson can have rowing (a real sport) and a softball team. Every Southern college should have one. AD Radokovich - get it done!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic