Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Clemson history

Feb 10, 2013, 9:54 PM

As some of you may know, I post some short segments about Clemson's history from time to time (I kind of like to think of myself as the tnet historian). Now that I'm a second semester senior and I have more time on my hands, I'm going to try to compile a series of some funny stories and interesting facts about our beloved university.

Many people here may remember living in Johnstone or some other freshman dorm with "character", but these don't compare with the first university barracks that housed the original corp of cadets. The rooms were located on the second and third floors of the barracks as the ground floor housed the dining area. Cadets were packed three to a room which made living quite uncomfortable (the picture below was just a model room, all others had three beds). Fortunately, all Clemson buildings were equipped with indoor plumbing and running water--an extreme rarity amongst most South Carolina buildings at the time. John Francis Calhoun, grandnephew of John C. Calhoun worked as the overseer of the dining area and his wife as the house mother of the barracks. Clemson paid them $600 and $200 a year respectively. John F. Calhoun oversaw a small number of kitchen staff, all of which lived in small wooden cottages in what is now Death Valley.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One more picture

Feb 10, 2013, 9:57 PM

The barracks were situated behind Tillman, where Johnstone is presently located

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wonderful, love Clemson history***

Feb 10, 2013, 10:04 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson history

Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 PM

This is AWESOME!

Re: Clemson history

Feb 11, 2013, 6:36 AM

The "tin cans" weren't much better in 1957!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nor in August 1965, when I enrolled. Think no air

Feb 11, 2013, 7:30 AM

conditioning in metal buildings roasting under late summer and early September sun! My roommate and I tried a two-bit oscillating fan from Judge Keller's, which cost about five bucks...and we had to scrape the $$$ up. When that proved hopeless, we convinced the Judge's son to let us swap in the fan for a breeze box, which cost ten dollars...and pay him the other five over the next two months.

We held our heads up high, because we were proud to boast of that fan, which few others could afford! LOL

Most athletes lived in the cans with us, so most of us became fast friends with the teams...and they'd join right in with us in the slip-and-slides down the halls, etc. Oddly enough, I got so used to the cans, that I lived on various halls my entire four years at CU, being luckly enough to be on top floors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson history- a Tin Cans question

Feb 11, 2013, 7:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson history ]

was the spray up ceiling that those things had made of asbestos? I've seen folks back in the day knock that stuff down when they would run down the hall. fibers would go everywhere. just wondered because that was popular back then

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes asbestos. Still some on campus

Feb 11, 2013, 8:32 AM

there's an asbestos abatement team.

What were they worried about burning? The two back to back open closets of 2 Johnstone rooms?

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic