Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson athletics income
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,762

Clemson athletics income

May 26, 2019, 8:13 AM

This week we learned that Clemson received $31M from the ACC. That amount includes all TV revenue, bowl, playoff, and basketball tournament income.

Last year we averaged very close to 80,000 in attendance per home football game and so took in roughly $28M from ticket sales. The IPTAY annual fund took in $36M and those contributions are driven by the football program.

Thus Clemson home football fans pay $64,000,000 to support Clemson Athletics, which is more that twice as much money as the revenue from TV/ACC/CFP.

So the home football game fans who buy football tickets are clearly the best customer and the biggest source of revenue for Clemson.

Clemson is not unique in this aspect of financial support. Essentially every major football program in the country makes a lot more money from home football games than from any other source. We often hear too much about TV money and conference payouts as the drivers in the sport. The sport usually lets TV call the shots.

Clemson and all of college football needs to acknowlege the prominence of the in the seat home football fan as the guy who writes the check and pays the bills.

When TV wants a Thursday night game, a Friday night game, or an 11:30 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. start time or a New Years Eve CFP game Clemson and college football in general should think first about the home game ticket buying fan.

When we the home football fans stop buying the tickets the sport as we know it will die.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson athletics income

May 26, 2019, 9:11 AM

Keep in mind that that @10,000 of the 80,000 average are student tickets and only a few students purchase tickets. I think around 3,000 students bought the student season ticket last year, but hopefully that number will increase for the 2019 season. Clemson is still one of the few schools that does not require students to purchase their tickets and Clemson does not charge students an athletic fee. Most schools charge students a fee. For example, Virginia collects over $9,000,000 each year in student athletic fees.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 10:07 AM

I'm pretty sure I paid an athletic fee as a student. It could have been for Fike access but I'm not sure.

So what you're saying is.. no more noon games!

May 26, 2019, 10:09 AM

Money talks

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 1:01 PM

I’d say duke and unc bring in more money through basketball than football

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,762
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic