Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson and the SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Clemson and the SEC

Sep 11, 2017, 7:23 PM

First, I come in peace, lol. Second, and I posed this question over on our boards. Why was Clemson never brought into the SEC after the old Southern conference split way back? By all appearances, Clemson resembles a traditional southern "SEC" type school-success on the field, passionate following, alumni support, packed stadium etc. Clemson seems to resemble Auburn, Miss State and others, at least moreso than the Tobacco road schools (excluding NC State). You guys most certainly have very little in common with the northern schools such as Syracuse, Boston College etc.

Don't get me wrong, glad you guys are one of the flagship schools in the ACC, and I have pointed out your success against the SEC schools the last few years has given the ACC some pushback on the media's annoying lovefest with all things SEC.

Again, come in peace, just interested in the history of college football, especially the old Southern conference, and how it gave way to the SEC and the ACC over the years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson and the SEC

Sep 11, 2017, 7:41 PM

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=177772

The were [unofficially] invited, but the president et. al.

Sep 11, 2017, 7:46 PM

didn't think the SEC had the academic standards they wanted at Clemson.

SEC is generally just plain gross***

Sep 11, 2017, 7:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2017, 7:51 PM

In more recent history, rumor here on TNet has it that universities of SC, GA, and FL have a pact to blackball Clemson, GT, and FSU from ever being accepted into the SEC.

Clemson has historical rivalries with SC, GA, and AU, but also the big 4 from NC, plus the higher academic standards in the ACC and there you have it.

Clemson was a founding member in the ACC because of the controversy in the Southern Conference over allowing teams to go to bowl games.

Sep 11, 2017, 9:55 PM

Probably the case. When the SEC expanded in the early 90's, I wonder if Clemson was considered. The story was that FSU was pursued, but I wonder if that was leverage to get other programs on the hook. Sure, FSU was at their peak, but as you mentioned, UF probably blackballed the idea, and the SEC had been stringing FSU along with admission since the 1960's. I know it's fashionable for SEC homers to think that Bowden was "afraid" to join, truth was FSU found a home in the ACC and told the SEC where to stick it.

Oh, yeah... when I watch Clemson play one of the first teams I think we resemble is...

Sep 11, 2017, 7:52 PM

Miss St.

??

When I watch Lewisville play, they resemble Oklahoma or Kansas Football.

~JKB

Re: Oh, yeah... when I watch Clemson play one of the first teams I think we resemble is...

Sep 11, 2017, 9:49 PM

My point was both are land grant schools. I think we both agree that Miss State and Clemson are not of the same caliber.

Sep 11, 2017, 7:55 PM

Idk for sure but it may have had something to do with the size of the student body. Clemson College was really a small military school, all male with less than 2000 undergrads enrolled up until the late 50's. Then it went co-ed then became Clemson University in 1965 or so and that's when it really started to grow. So it would have been one of the smallest SEC schools at the time had Clemson joined. Not a good fit I think

Different story nowadays

Sep 11, 2017, 10:05 PM

But, you had Tulane and Sewanee in the early SEC. Without googling, I can't imagine either larger than Clemson at the time. Well, maybe Tulane?

HEY THERE

Sep 11, 2017, 8:39 PM

here is a quick lesson

the ACC sucks.. LUisville sucks.. and so does the SEC

It's all about CLEMSON
Here endith the lesson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: HEY THERE

Sep 11, 2017, 8:43 PM

Come on man. The guy came here asking questions and has been very respectful. Reciprocate..

i did

Sep 11, 2017, 8:45 PM

i told him all he needed to know about conferences

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: i did

Sep 11, 2017, 8:49 PM

Reciprocating is also a saw .

I think he just cut off a little bit .

DB23

Re: HEY THERE

Sep 11, 2017, 10:00 PM [ in reply to HEY THERE ]

The guy comes in peace and asks an honest question and you choose to be a pr*ck to him,makes you look like a Gamecock fan.

Sep 11, 2017, 8:56 PM

Why not just bring respect to the ACC instead!!! In spite of the medias love fest with the SEC, Clemson and a few other ACC teams have started to become consistently competitive on the National scene. I am am of the belief you should stay at the dance with the one who brought you.

Sep 11, 2017, 9:47 PM

I am of the same opinion. Clemson, Florida State have represented the ACC extremely well the last few years. Time for Va Tech, Miami and the Cards to pitch in, IMO. Georgia Tech and it's triple option will occasionally wreck some unsuspecting defenses, but recruiting at Tech is obviously a challenge. The NC schools continue to be a riddle wrapped in an enigma. Every year I think NC State will emerge, only to be proven otherwise. UNC can run an offense, but has the defense of swiss cheese.

I like the teeth on your mascot.

Sep 11, 2017, 9:50 PM

It resembles the parking spaces for your commuter college.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 11, 2017, 9:52 PM

I think the SEC correctly assumed that at the time (1990 SEC expansion) we had no interest in leaving the ACC. The SEC wasn't the powerhouse then that it is today as evidenced by Texas and Texas A&M declining invitations to remain in the SWC, FSU declining an invitation to join the ACC, and Miami declining an invitation to join the Big East. Of course, the coots were so desperate to be in the SEC they voted to join before even receiving an invitation. The most recent expansion was more about gaining tv locations combined with the UF, UGA, USCe, UK voting bloc. For those reasons, Clemson, FSU, GT and Louisville probably weren't seriously considered.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

Message was edited by: clemtiger14®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2017, 10:02 PM

Thanks ClemTiger. I had forgot that Texas and Texas A&M turned their shoulder to SEC expansion.

Regarding the coots in Columbia, and this is probably a whole different topic, why in the hell did they leave the ACC in the early 1970s? Did they think they were the next Notre Dame LOL?

SC fans need to be reminded they were 5th choice at best

Sep 11, 2017, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson and the SEC ]

after Texas, A&M, FSU and Miami turned sec down.

Re: SC fans need to be reminded they were 5th choice at best

Sep 11, 2017, 10:11 PM

USC football shares so much in common with our big sister down the road-UK. Speaking of which, UK is in Columbia this weekend. Can't wait for that epic showdown between two SEC featherweights.

SC fans need to be reminded they were 5th choice at best

Sep 11, 2017, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson and the SEC ]

after Texas, A&M, FSU and Miami turned sec down.

I'm glad we're not in the SEC***

Sep 11, 2017, 10:12 PM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic