Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson, South Carolina and Quang Tin, South Viet Nam
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,506

Clemson, South Carolina and Quang Tin, South Viet Nam

Sep 22, 2016, 9:22 AM

Clemson, SC is the birth place on 9/11/1947 and Quang Tin Province, South Viet Nam the place of death on 9/22/1969 of Chief Warrant Officer W1 and my cousin Barry Alexander. 47 years ago today, Barry's career ended in South Viet Nam at the age of 22. Shortly thereafter he arrived back home in a flag draped coffin. That image is etched into my memory from my senior year in high school. Not sure how to thank Barry for giving his life for our country. Perhaps I will stand the next time I hear the National Anthem. Perhaps not, it is now optional you know.

BARRY KENNETH ALEXANDER
Panel 18W, Row 124 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Name: WO1 Barry Kenneth Alexander (posthumously promoted)
Status: Killed In Action from an incident on 09/22/1969 while performing the duty of Aircraft Commander.
Age at death: 22.0
Date of Birth: 09/11/1947
Home City: Clemson, SC
Service: AV branch of the reserve component of the U.S. Army.
Unit: 71 AHC, 14 CAB
Major organization: Americal Division
Flight class: 68-513/68-23
Service: AV branch of the U.S. Army.
The Wall location: 18W-124
Service number: W3161173
MOS: 062B = Helicopter Pilot, Utility and Light Cargo Single Rotor
Primary cause: Hostile Fire
Major attributing cause: aircraft connected not at sea
Compliment cause: weapons
Vehicle involved: helicopter
Position in vehicle: aircraft commander
Started Tour: 10/14/1968
"Official" listing: helicopter air casualty - other aircrew
Length of service: 02
Reason: aircraft lost or crashed
Casualty type: Hostile - killed
single male U.S. citizen
Race: Caucasian
Religion: Baptist - other groups
The following information secondary, but may help in explaining this incident.
Category of casualty as defined by the Army: battle dead Category of personnel: active duty Army Military class: warrant officer

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

never forgetting is the best, and proper, way to thank him

Sep 22, 2016, 9:31 AM

I'll think of him next time I stand for the Anthem myself.

Re: Clemson, South Carolina and Quang Tin, South Viet Nam

Sep 22, 2016, 9:32 AM

He lives on through you and many more of us my friend. Thanks for sharing his story.

Please don't allow yourself to be brought down by others. Right or wrong, it is what your cousin 'stood' for, and when you DO stand for the National Anthem, you are standing FOR him - and BECAUSE of him.

Rest In Peace CW1 Barry Alexander, your watch is over, now the rest of us got this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Sep 22, 2016, 9:33 AM

So sad to hear the story of your cousin but his sacrifice should never be forgotten. Looking at the record you posted - he was 22 days from being eligible to DEROS. Honor and respect to your cousin and his family....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Crisp CLEMSON Military-like Salute to Barry

Sep 22, 2016, 10:09 AM

Standing & at Attention, of course!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw that. Very sad.***

Sep 22, 2016, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson, South Carolina and Quang Tin, South Viet Nam ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Sep 22, 2016, 9:48 AM

Thanks for posting this story about one of our American heroes. It reminded me to stop and pray for our country and our soldiers everywhere.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will never disrespect our country, the flag , the national anthem because I know they were paid

Sep 22, 2016, 9:49 AM

for by regular people serving their country. Many giving their life so we can be free and enjoy life in the best country in the world; The United States! To many people take all of the above for granted much to frequently and with little thought of those who never came home from the fight for what we have.

I truly appreciate people like your cousin Barry Alexander who courageously fought and died for me and millions of others he did not even know.

Thank you for sharing this post. People need to be reminded of the sacrifices paid for in blood!

God Bless you , your family and the memory of Chief Warrant Officer W1 Barry Alexander.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SALUTE***

Sep 22, 2016, 10:00 AM

Sep 22, 2016, 12:46 PM

God bless you and the family of Chief Warrant Officer W1 Barry Alexander. The honor he bestowed upon his family will always be his legacy. Awesome post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is a quote that is spot on for your cousin

Sep 22, 2016, 12:57 PM

And what he stood for and did for others...

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill

May he rest in eternal peace.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He and others did fight so we can keep that option,

Sep 22, 2016, 12:58 PM

and I'm very glad it is not forced on us and that we are free. However, when it is my time, I will always choose to stand. For my brother's service, my cousins' service, my grandfather's service, my other family members' service, all of those who have served, medical scientist that successfully cured disease, brilliant and bold scientists who sent us to the moon, and all of the people of this great nation that have contributed to making us an economic powerhouse that eclipses any other economy even on it's worst day. United we stand. And if you don't want to stand, well, I am just so proud that this country gives you the freedom to do that. Salute to your cousin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2016, 1:45 PM

Sorry to hear that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Sep 22, 2016, 1:51 PM

Hi Tigerinlosangeles,

Thank you for sharing this. I want to say first of all Thank you to your loved ones who served and really, to all the men and women who served this amazing country, The US of A.

My name is Vu, and I am Vietnamese born. Today, I am an American...I have been American since the day I arrived here back in 1975. The men and women who served this country gave me and my family this incredible opportunity, sparing us the life under Communist Rule. There are countless stories like mine that are largely ignored...stories that exemplify the greatness of America, stories of great opportunity, and that is what America really is about....opportunity.

I am forever in debt, and forever grateful to be integrated into American society and to be able to enjoy all these freedoms that I would not otherwise have had. I will always stand during the Anthem...I will always stand with the Pledge of Allegiance.

We don't say it often enough, but I wanted to take this opportunity to once again say....

Thank You.
(and thank you to all of you out there serving the nation!)

Vu

^^this +1000 TUs^^***

Sep 22, 2016, 2:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2016, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson, South Carolina and Quang Tin, South Viet Nam ]

Vu,

Very impressed with your words below.
What is your connection to Clemson?
How old were you upon arriving in 1975 as that is the year I graduated from Clemson?

Sincerely,
Tigerinlosangeles

Salute!***

Sep 22, 2016, 5:36 PM

As a Marine 2nd Lt. In Viet Nam, I has a special place in my

Sep 23, 2016, 1:00 AM

heart for those young Army warrant officer helicopter pilots. Your cousin was a hero like all of those other young men who I saw throw safety to the wind and fly into places some of the older guys wouldn't. I'll always stand to honor a flag that your cousin gave his life for........no option for me!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,506
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic