Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson, SC fact I only learned recently
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,322

Clemson, SC fact I only learned recently

Apr 22, 2020, 10:05 AM

"The city of Clemson's character is largely defined by Clemson University, a large public university that dates to 1889. The university is the cultural center of the city, even though a small multi-block downtown with housing, retail and restaurants is directly to the north of the campus. The community was originally named Calhoun and was renamed Clemson in 1943."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didn’t know that Clemson University was founded in 1889?

Apr 22, 2020, 10:08 AM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

^ Funny Keller but believe it was Clemson being 2nd name of town after..

Apr 22, 2020, 10:13 AM

the boss man Calhoun.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I realized that. Thanks.***

Apr 22, 2020, 3:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I didn’t know the Calhoun part

Apr 22, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to You didn’t know that Clemson University was founded in 1889? ]

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn’t know the Calhoun part

Apr 22, 2020, 10:24 AM

I didn't know that. Thought it had been Clemson for the longest. Hope a lot of the hotels will stay some distance from the university and town keeping it as it is now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only figured that out myself in the last couple of years

Apr 22, 2020, 10:31 AM

Maybe explains the name of Calhoun Corners restaurant. Seems like I read that the conflict between the town name and the school name caused some confusion for the railroad stop, and that is what necessitated the change.

Are most college towns named after the university, or the university named after the town? I bet it is unusual for the town to CHANGE its name to match the university. What if they had decided to rename the University after the town?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To split hairs, Clemson wasn't orignially named Calhoun.

Apr 22, 2020, 10:58 AM

Calhoun's location was up on the high ground past the trestle, thus the Calhoun railroad stop. Clemson grew up separately next to the University as a distinct location, which was of course part of "Ft. Hill Plantation" originally.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson, SC fact I only learned recently

Apr 22, 2020, 1:07 PM

When I came to Clemson in 1955, Calhoun was North of the railroad and Clemson was South of the tracks. I believe the official station name was Calhoun. I don't recall the name being officially changed but the station was called Calhoun/Clemson by most people.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe21 is a good enough authority for me! No further debate

Apr 22, 2020, 7:08 PM

necessary.

ps,
Mr. Joe, were you the one who put that "Re-elect Strom Thurmond" sticker on the back of The Hunley that they found when they hosed it off?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 2:23 PM

The area north of 123 near the depot is still labeled as Calhoun on maps.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2020, 7:20 PM

The town was Ft Hill until early-mid 70s!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,322
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic