Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why

Sep 5, 2019, 1:14 PM

Clemson team, talent and very importantly depth-wise is ahead of A&M. A&M is certainly stronger than GT and a high tier 2 team that can beat tier 1 teams when the stars align. Last year those stars came close with Mond's carnival of lucky chucks and the huge value of the game being in Aggieland. Right away we know the home field factor now swings hugely to Clemson and the odds of Mond having another career game are modest at best.

Getting to the players, TL, ETN and Ross hardly played vs A&M and then were a staple of the 2018 offensive monster. I think A&M will have to pick it's poison and try to boat race us. A&M won't quit they will fight, absent Clemson turning over and giving up big plays, A&M will be stretched too thin especially in last 1/3 of game.

Finally, coaches. Dabo has beaten Jimbo 4 times straight and has coaching stability that no other program has. Big edge here.

Aggies will put together a respectable performance, but unless there is a major Clemson collapse this one ends with the Tigers by 17+.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way too much stock is being put into last years

Sep 5, 2019, 1:59 PM

game. TAMU could certainly beat us but I just don't see it either. We will find out where our front 7 stands after this weekend and I do have some worry about us getting pressure up front. If we struggle on that then they will hit some big time plays on us. Trevor needs to play well bc I think they'll stack it up front and force him to beat his secondary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Way too much stock is being put into last years

Sep 5, 2019, 2:05 PM

It's gonna be pick your poison...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why

Sep 5, 2019, 2:12 PM

Aggie student here, excellent analysis. I agree. A&M's best hope is to make it a shootout or hop on early and keep the tiger crowd from having an impact. I really think last year's game was greatly by the 12th man. A strong defense for Clemson as always, plus an amazing, more high powered and balanced offense for Clemson, and the game being at Clemson gives Clemson a big edge.

So you’re an Honors Student, I see...

Sep 5, 2019, 2:52 PM

... Dean’s List, too, I bet.

????

Good luck with your future studies!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Sep 5, 2019, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why ]

insightful! Welcome to Death Valley!

Sep 5, 2019, 2:15 PM

Tigers HAVE to come out and strike quickly imo, A&M is extremely confident right now. Letting them score on the 1st drive or not answering or going 3-o on our 1st drive can not happen. Need to score quickly, completely take the wind out of their sails.

Sep 5, 2019, 3:08 PM

But Clemson has gotten off to plenty of slow starts in the last couple of years and still won games comfortably. It's what the score is at the end that matters.

Sep 5, 2019, 3:20 PM

Correct but last year we had the established elite d line to help us out when we had those slow starts and this year Ga Tech well it really didn't matter.

Sep 5, 2019, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why ]

We went 3 and out in our first drive against Alabama in Santa Clara .
First drive is important , but it isn't the games decider .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 5, 2019, 5:34 PM

Of course, but again we had Bryant, Lamar, Watkins, Lawrence, Ferrell. While I have all the confidence in the world in BV and this defense it's still early for this young D. Plus it puts me at ease if we come out guns blazing and just blow them away.

Sep 6, 2019, 1:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why ]

I guess I see our games a little different. To me it's like 2 boxers feeling each other out early in our games. They try to determine how to attack, what works, and what doesn't while not making an early mistake. To not score on the first drive is not something they seem to worry about. Once they measure their opponent, then they stomp on their throats.

Sep 6, 2019, 12:44 PM

I agree the first drive does not make or break a game. But they do worry about.
They very much practice to score on the first drive and have a staged first 10 plays or so.

Sep 5, 2019, 2:44 PM

I agree. As Dabo has been saying all along, it's about Clemson. This isn't about A&M. When we haven't played to our potential, we had games like Syracuse the last couple of years, Pitt & NC State a few years ago, and A&M last year. When we played to our standard, we had games like ND in the Cotton Bowl and Bama in the NCG. This is not true for every team. We're in a place that many teams are trying to reach.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Sep 5, 2019, 3:06 PM

I agree. IMO, A&M doesn't have the depth to run out 8 - 10 OL, 8 - 12 DL and DEs combined, and more backups at other positions like the Tigers. If the Tigers play their game, A&M will be out of gas on Defense by mid to late 3rd quarter and the pound and ground game will punish them. Oh lookout because here comes the occasional deep ball.

Plus, I read that the SEC allows 70 players to travel during SEC conference games but didn't find if it was more for non-conference games I couldn't find a definitive number allowed by the NCAA (if there is a limit). I'm sure the SEC made an exception for this game because it just means more.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2019, 3:27 PM

I believe the NCAA rule is you only travel with 70.

Does that include the Male Prosticheerleaders?

Sep 5, 2019, 5:41 PM

Whose gonna yank the thingy and do the hand jive for the Horny Toad fans?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2019, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Handles It's Business This Weekend Here is Why ]

I don't think it matters how many they bring but how good are the second 44 players that they bring. They are not going to play all of the ones they bring. And we are not going to play 90 players unless things get out of hand for A&M early and stay out of hand. We may play 70, but I think our depth will be a factor.

Also their O-line did not have a great outing against Texas State, so hopefully we can get a lot of pressure on Mond. I hope our D ends don't run themselves out of a lot of plays like they did against GT. Several times in that game GT just let them come barreling in and just bypassed them. If TAM gets behind and has to start throwing a bunch, watch out for our DE's then!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2019, 8:09 PM

That is a good evaluation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 5, 2019, 10:07 PM

Lead up to this game reminds me some of NC State last year. There was talk of their players not being intimidated by the crowd noise, and thinking they were the better team in the prior years matchup. The teams are somewhat similar (qbs who have had success vs BV, good receivers and o line, run defense stronger than pass d). No doubt was left in the 41-7 win.

aTm is a more talented team than that NCS squad, and definitely a better coach, but I’m not sure they’re quite ready for when the Tigers run down the hill and the ball is spotted. Can 3:30 get here already?

Sep 6, 2019, 12:11 AM

Of course they are from Texas and used to the heat but if they don't have depth Clemson will have them dragging by the 4th Quarter. Mid 90s Sat. hotter than that on the field.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic