Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Firefly Project
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,335

Clemson Firefly Project

May 31, 2013, 9:23 AM

Do you miss seeing fireflies lighting up your yard at night? I do! "Where did all the fireflies go?" Clemson University is trying to find an answer to this question. Numbers are down and an attempt is being made to survey the numbers and habitat types. Be part of Clemson University's Vanishing Firefly Project. It takes only 1 minute.
You would count the number of fireflies you see in your yard (or wherever you are!) for 1 minute between 8:15 and 10:15 on Saturday, June 1.
Go to:
http://www.clemson.edu/public/rec/baruch/firefly_project/
for instructions...
You can submit your data at the above website or download their new Firefly Flash Counter App for iPhones to count and automatically submit observations.
Hope everyone participates!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Firefly Project

May 31, 2013, 9:32 AM

I don't have a clue where our little flying night lights went. I sure wish they would return. Like you, I loved seeing them in the summer nights lighting up every where.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't noticed any this year (it's not HOT enough yet)

May 31, 2013, 9:40 AM

but last summer they were everywhere around my house (Lake Keowee). I'd estimate I could count 30 or more in 1 minute.

I'd participate but I'll be at the baseball games this weekend in Columbia. If we win today, we'll be playing in that EXACT window of time.

They should really wait until July/August to do this - when it gets really hot and still at night is when they are really stirring. If it's cool or a wind is blowing, you won't see any. C'mon guys, I'm not an entomologist and I know that much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2013, 9:50 AM

fireflies (lightning bugs), june bugs, maypops, amphibians of all classifications......the MIA list goes on and on....
(You don't know what you've got till its gone)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I left Souf Cackalacky for the Gulf Coast, I traded

May 31, 2013, 9:57 AM

fireflies for their nastier, hornier cousins...the lovebug. Hate havin' to scrape them mofos off my truck.

Re: When I left Souf Cackalacky for the Gulf Coast, I traded

May 31, 2013, 10:01 AM

Got 'em on the coast too. My kids have no idea what a lightning bug is, or what we used to do to/with them...

Ill go ahead and spoil the ending

May 31, 2013, 10:08 AM

For ya. The answer will be global warming and its your fault. Tree huggers answer for everything.

Somehow I think that's probably the theory.

Jun 4, 2013, 8:38 AM

Clemson needs to get in on the global warming money somehow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I probably hit too many of them with baseball bats as a kid

May 31, 2013, 10:34 AM

My bad, guys.

I leave you with the Mofro song "Fireflies" to atone for my actions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH9CUMMiC-k

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Down here in the Midlands

May 31, 2013, 11:04 AM

I haven't seen any for years! I think the coots stench is killing them off. I did see some the other day though. No where near what it used to be though.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We never had many if any in the Barnwell area, but remember

May 31, 2013, 11:11 AM

seeing them at my grandparents in York all the time. I think it probably does have something to do with the climate and shifting weather patterns, but I don't know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 31, 2013, 11:15 AM

Saw a couple on the Sea Islands last summer, but they're pretty rare in the Charleston/Summerville area these days. I remember one June evening about 15 years ago when my wife and I stood at our back porch and watched the trees behind our house light up with thousands of fireflies. First and only time we ever witnessed it.

Jun 4, 2013, 9:15 AM

I thought this was about alcohol

null

Jun 4, 2013, 9:22 AM

I dk if it is due to their house being on the lake now and not away from the water with a field behind it but I rarely see them at my families house in Greenwood anymore.

I remember catching them as a kid when we had the field.

null

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,335
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic