Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Defensive Line Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,829

Clemson Defensive Line Question

Aug 1, 2019, 9:12 AM

How do you think our defensive line will hold up against A&M so early in the season? The last few years we have taken for granted that we would control the line of scrimmage, but this year is a bit different. Really no one has significant minutes against stiff competition for prolonged periods. Our experienced depth there also worries me a little. Don't get me wrong... I'm not losing any sleep over this. Coach BV always seems to have the defense ready.
Thoughts?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Starters will be good

Aug 1, 2019, 9:20 AM

Thomas, Nyles, Williams, Foster are a talented bunch and all have experience. Depth at DE is pretty good with Henry, Rudolph and Mascoll stepping in. DT is more of a question with Kelly and Davis being your next up players.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Starters will be good

Aug 1, 2019, 10:51 AM

I am worried about our DT's.

Talent is there

Aug 1, 2019, 11:04 AM

But depth is an issue. Pinckney one of the highest graded DT’s in the ACC against the run last year and Williams should be able to generate an interior pass rush.

Hopefully Xavier Kelly and Tyler Davis can provide quality backup reps but after that there’s really nothing. DT and LB are places we can’t afford injuries this year.

You'll likely see some regression from the defense this year

Aug 1, 2019, 9:42 AM

Afterall, when you're the best in the land, there's only one place you can go right...and that's down?

That said, Clemson has ranked in the Top 10 in the country in total defense in all five seasons of the College Football Playoff era and has ranked among the Top 10 in scoring defense in four of those campaigns.

With returners Xavier Thomas, K.J. Henry, Justin Foster, Mason Rudolph, Justin Mascoll, Nyles Pinckney, Jordan Williams, Xavier Kelly, and Darnell Jeffries along with Tyler Davis and Etinosa Reuben, in addition to guys like Isaiah Simmons, Shaq Smith, Chad Smith, James Skalski, Braylon Spector, and Mike Jones, 2019 will be no exception IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: You'll likely see some regression from the defense this year

Aug 1, 2019, 10:53 AM

Shaq Smith transferred obviously.

Yup...still don't understand that decision.***

Aug 1, 2019, 10:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Clemson Defensive Line Question

Aug 1, 2019, 10:36 AM

Funny you should ask about holding and TAMU. Last year they were called for 1 holding penalty and we declined it. I'm worried that the SECheat refs are going to be more lenient toward them holding than the ACC refs were last year. So. I'm guessing they will be held up every play with 0% chance of getting called for it. But with Trevor and Justin starting I don't see much of a challenge in winning this game compared to last year.

Go Tigers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 10:58 AM

I fully expect to win the game. I'm really curious to watch the development of the defensive line over the course of the season. I want to see how they compare to the Power Rangers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

If I had to guess...

Aug 1, 2019, 11:03 AM

Aug 1, 2019, 11:05 AM

I think the D-line will struggle against A&M.

It will be on the offense to put up a lot of points.

Hopefully by late season the defense will round into form. But early on it could be rough.

Aug 1, 2019, 12:51 PM

Guys come to Clemson to show what they can do. Pinckney and Williams will be fine DT's. Davis and Kelly will play a bunch and do fine. Then you have Darnell Jefferies who has a tremendous motor. He RS l.y. needed to put on some weight, hopefully he did because he's good and nasty. Orrorroho and Reuben will hopefully be able to come along slowly maybe RS if no injuries. Both, high 3 stars because they're both relatively new to American football.
In short, I like the 5 guys alot we have playing DT. Williams, Kelly, Reuben and Orrorroho all were athletic enough to be DE I'm h.s. which tells you how athletic they are. All but Jefferies last I checked had gotten to close to or over the 300 lb. mark. We have coach Bates and coach Venables so we'll be fine.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 1, 2019, 12:56 PM

Here's how I view the defensive line. Compare this Dline to the 2016 team that won a national title.

Christian Wilkins (SO), Carlos Watkins (rsSR), Dexter Lawrence (FR), and Clelin Ferrell (rsFR)

Justin Foster (JR), Nyles Pinckney (rsJR), Jordan Williams (rsSO), and Xavier Thomas (SO)

I think the starting 4 will be as good as the starting 4 from that team. Stronger at DE but slightly worse at DT. Logan Rudolph, KJ Henry, and Justin Mascoll provide us with talented depth at DE. We have better DE depth now compared to that 2016 team with Wilkins playing out of position. DT is a little worrisome though. Nyles and Jordan will be good, but after that it's up in the air. Xavier Kelly has to become what we thought he would be. He was a top 100 recruit, it's time for him to play like it. The coaches raved about Tyler Davis, so I believe he's going to be a good one. After that, it's nothing but true freshmen that you would like to redshirt. Etinosa, Ruke, and Tayquon have a long ways to go.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,829
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic