Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Basketball Greats--Where Are They Now? Vol III
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 420

Clemson Basketball Greats--Where Are They Now? Vol III

Jan 15, 2016, 3:51 PM

Featuring: Matt Morris, F 2004-2008

If you were on the Clemson Campus for fall semester, 2004, you would be excused for thinking a meteor had landed on the West side of Campus. Indeed, the atmosphere on campus was electric and the tension was thick on the day that one Matthew "Matt" Morris brought his bag of skills to Tigertown. How did we get so lucky though, and where is Morris today?

A native of Georgetown, SC, the true legend of Matt Morris began in Andrews, SC, at a certain basketball factory known as Andrews High School. If this town sounds familiar to you, it's because it is widely known for it's excellent bypass that skirts the town completely.

At Andrews High School, Morris set the lowcountry on fire, lettering for five years, and in the process holding the school record for three pointers (143) and free-throw percentage (79.9). He stood out in the mighty 7A conference and was a three time all-region selection, and an all-state selection his senior year.

All of his hard work paid off in 2004, when an up and coming coach with chronic halitosis named Oliver Purnell posed the following question to Morris: "Son, you're the best I've ever seen---would you like to walk-on the team?" Fortunately for Clemson fans, Morris said "yes", and the legend began. In four seasons as a Tiger letterman, (earning a scholarship in his senior year), Morris played in 54 games and scored a total of 69 points. Morris later admitted that he could have scored more, but "69 just seemed kind of poetic".

After graduating from Clemson with a degree in Sports Marketing, Morris took his white-hot game to France to play with an exhibition team. Against some of Europe's biggest stars, Morris averaged 32 PPG (no, serious,thirty-freaking-two points per game) and 7 rebounds, and also played for a short while in Belgium after his good friend Iker Iturbe told him how good the waffles were there.

Morris made the tough decision to stop playing the game while he was on top, and transitioned to coaching a French development team from 2009-2010. It wasn't to last though----no one can truly resist the siren's call of Spartanburg, SC, and so it was to be for Matt Morris when he because the Director of Basketball Operations for Wofford College from 2011-2013. Morris then parlayed his sucess at Wofford into a nice lateral move into assistant coach position at Clayton State, until 2015.

Most recently, Morris has relocated to Atlanta and started the "Combine Basketball Academy", which appears to be an AAU alternative for players suffering from a pigment deficiency.
Matt Morris, for all you are, for all you've done.......we salute you and wish you the very best.

You'll always be a Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am literally laughing out loud.

Jan 15, 2016, 3:55 PM

Almost to the point of tears from laughing.

PIGMENT DEFICIENCY is killing me!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*became***

Jan 15, 2016, 3:59 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

son offa.............***

Jan 15, 2016, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

* of a***

Jan 15, 2016, 4:27 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I liked this better when I knew who the player was.

Jan 15, 2016, 4:29 PM

Just cover David Potter so we can be done with this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry aero, but I'm not going to base my featured players

Jan 15, 2016, 4:53 PM

on the lowest common denominator of fan knowledge.

so when will we get what ever happened to

Jan 15, 2016, 5:26 PM

jive brown

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

jesusfuckingchrist, obed

Jan 15, 2016, 6:53 PM

This is why i stay on you.

6969/10

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When do we get Skip Wise? Or maybe I missed it. *******

Jan 15, 2016, 8:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 420
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic