Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Athletic Fees
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,175

Clemson Athletic Fees

Nov 12, 2014, 7:03 PM

DRad is full of it. Clemson main goal is not athletics and no fess should be assessed to students. I don't give a rip what other schools do. Maybe, if he would decline any raises over the next ten years, we would be better off. Hiring this man was a big mistake.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A BIG mistake

Nov 13, 2014, 3:43 PM

This man is the most greedy person in the Upstate. He does NOT care about students

Re: Clemson Athletic Fees

Nov 13, 2014, 3:57 PM

We are the last school in the nation to charge nothing. Long overdue. I don't understand your argument either. Of course it is not Clemson's main goal, but having great athletic programs that all of our students attend is A goal. I also don't understand when you say "I don't give a rip what other schools do" because that is your competition. I hope that you do not run your own business for your sake because that ish would fail miserably.

The fee is the equivalent of two textbooks for a service provided. It has nothing to do with tuition. Every student is essentially getting a service for nothing right now and that is not something can continue to happen (as evidenced by the fact that we are the only school left that does not charge a fee)

Nov 13, 2014, 6:01 PM

While I do not like the idea of charging additional fees, I think that saying hiring DRad was a "big mistake." Being a recent graduate, I would not have wanted an additional fee tacked on to my tuition when I was a student. But, looking at my bills, the school already charged $35 for a "bus" fee. I paid $35 dollars a semester for CAT Buses that I never rode cause I walked to class from the parking lots due to bus overcrowding and the buses never being on time. As a student, I would rather pay $80something dollars to enjoy football, basketball, and baseball games.

My one concern with this athletic fee is: Many students already pay a $40/year IPTAY collegiate club membership fee. So in essence, many students are not going to games for free. Yes, a student could not have an IPTAY membership and still attend games for free due to class distribution and other avenues, but would IPTAY collegiate club members have to pay $120something to be able to have the same access to athletic events? In order to not impose a $80 dollar fee on top of many existing IPTAY members, why not simply begin to slowly phase out free student ticketing and begin to enforce a mandatory IPTAY membership for attendance to athletic events. It could start with football. The separate distributions are a nightmare... between block seating, class distribution, and IPTAY its a logistical nightmare given the WEEKS I spent in a tent just to have lower bowl seats to a game.

By starting a policy of "optional" IPTAY membership for those who want to attend football, you can make the money there without the school-wide $80 fee for every student. The other sports could still have the free distribution... Lord knows they can't bribe students to show up consistently for basketball games. I would start with football and then see how it works from there.

I had the opportunity to ask David Wilkins this summer what he though about DRad. He said it was one of the best hires Clemson has ever made... and I agree. Wilkins said that the academics of Clemson are very strong and improving, but why not make football the "front porch" of this university. It is no co-incidence in my mind that with the recent appearance in many more nationally televised, primetime games and two BCS bowls in 4 years, Clemson has achieved a top 20 ranking for the first time. DRad may be aggressive, but he knows how to get a program to make money and expand. Since his arrival our facilities have drastically improved, or been scheduled for major renovations or face-lifts. This feeds recruiting... which feeds athletic success... which leads to primetime games... which leads to national broadcasting of Clemson television commercials and an the expansion of the Clemson brand... which leads to out of state students bringing lots of additional tuition money... which leads to better allocation of educational resources... which leads to top 20 ranking... Thank you DRad for a top 20 ranking.

Yummy.

Nov 13, 2014, 7:42 PM

Dang, that Kool Aid must taste good.

Nov 13, 2014, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Athletic Fees ]

Athletics is NOT a "service" provided to students.

Clemson is a university, not an amusement park that's there to provide entertainment to the masses on the dime of students.

Why not sell our stadium name rights, place tacky

Nov 13, 2014, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Athletic Fees ]

Advertising all over the place....every other school in the Nation does it.

We are CLEMSON , we do things differently. I want our students enthusiastic about athletics, not pissed off at athletics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2014, 7:53 PM

The number I heard is $350 per year for the first year. It will most certainly go up. The tuition is near the top (if not the top) in SC. I appreciate that our AD is trying to maximize revenue, but he should contact Michigan's FORMER AD and ask him how it worked for him using students as just another revenue source.

Clemson is something VERY special. IPTAY is one of the premier athletic donor groups in the country. When anyone, even the AD, messes with the magic that is Clemson, it will make a lot of folks very unhappy.

As much as we love Clemson athletics, some students could care less. Adding a "fee" on top of all the other costs, can start the downward spiral to Clemson's special place in the fans' hearts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,175
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic