Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chronicle of Higher Education says take UNC accreditation ..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Chronicle of Higher Education says take UNC accreditation ..

Oct 27, 2014, 11:21 PM

http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2014/10/24/unc-chapel-hill-should-lose-accreditation/

Now THIS is some serious stuff in the academic world. If there is any sort of trade off to be made, athletics will certainly be sacrificed to avoid this sort of disaster.

Unfortunately for the Tar Heels, it may have gone beyond the scope of a mere NCAA sanction ... the Chronicle article includes this particularly harsh statement:

"I have little interest in whatever penalties the NCAA chooses to impose upon Chapel Hill’s athletics programs or that the university chooses to impose upon itself. As I said, this is not fundamentally an issue about sports but about the basic academic integrity of an institution. Any accrediting agency that would overlook a violation of this magnitude would both delegitimize itself and appear hopelessly hypocritical if it attempted, now or in the future, to threaten or sanction institutions—generally those with much less wealth and influence—for violations much smaller in scale."

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chronicle of Higher Education says take UNC accreditation ..

Oct 27, 2014, 11:27 PM

Oh man, I bet they are sweating away in Chapel Hill.
Thanks for sharing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is worse than any NCAA probation.....

Oct 27, 2014, 11:42 PM

should unc lose its accreditation--or really, come razor-thin close to losing it--culture changing rules within the university itself are sure to follow. the unc athletic dept is facing hard times.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On "Culture changing rules",...

Oct 29, 2014, 7:30 PM

They'll find a way to impose that on the rest of the ACC as well.

UNC Would Cancel 100% of Their Athletic Programs to Save

Oct 28, 2014, 12:04 AM

The Academic Ship. UNC Would Pour Hot Oil Down Dean Smith's Anus to Avoid Losing Their Academic Accreditation. Swofford Will Go Down In This Scandal Also, It May Take a Few More Weeks Though. Suck It Tar Wholes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2014, 12:14 AM

Try or just leave it off entirely at the conclusion of a post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Say what ?***

Oct 28, 2014, 9:31 AM

My bad.

Oct 28, 2014, 9:36 AM

I was trying to tell you the backslash went before the i between the []. I should have known the [] would have hidden the '/i'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would a tactical nuke not work just as well?

Oct 28, 2014, 12:15 AM

It would get the SEC channel and really do some good.

I would settle for the accreditation at UNCheat....

Oct 28, 2014, 4:16 AM

I'd save the nuke for USuC. After all, Cootlumbia does need an enema...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC already dealing with SACSCOC

Oct 28, 2014, 10:26 AM

read all about it:

http://oira.unc.edu/accreditation/communications-with-sacscoc/

doubt the Wainstein report will change anything

And by "doubt", you mean "hope."***

Oct 28, 2014, 11:01 AM

null

do the reading and get back to me

Oct 28, 2014, 11:26 AM

after you've read the Wainstein report and the documents between UNC and SACSCOC, let me know what is in the report that UNC hasn't already dealt with in it's responses to the SACSCOC monitoring.

Re: do the reading and get back to me

Oct 28, 2014, 3:00 PM

"I have little interest in whatever penalties the NCAA chooses to impose upon Chapel Hill’s athletics programs or that the university chooses to impose upon itself. As I said, this is not fundamentally an issue about sports but about the basic academic integrity of an institution. Any accrediting agency that would overlook a violation of this magnitude would both delegitimize itself and appear hopelessly hypocritical if it attempted, now or in the future, to threaten or sanction institutions—generally those with much less wealth and influence—for violations much smaller in scale." --- Chronicle of Higher Education

i was going to let you slide on the false attribution

Oct 28, 2014, 4:07 PM

but i'm calling you on it now.

the title this thread is blatantly misleading.

the "Chronicle of Higher Education" did not say what you claim.

One blogger on the site did.

I guess you just ignored this part:

About This Blog

Posts on The Conversation present the views of their authors. They do not represent the position of the editors, nor does posting here imply any endorsement by The Chronicle.

but yet again, why let the facts get in the way of your opinion?

You seem like a detailed oriented person.

Oct 28, 2014, 4:42 PM

If only the paper classes for athletes demanded the same focus on detail we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

You're a UNC "apologist" and that's okay ...

Oct 28, 2014, 6:29 PM [ in reply to i was going to let you slide on the false attribution ]

... your glass is obviously half full. The facts are pretty obvious and clearly laid out by the Wainstein Report.

What was written in the Chronicle is indeed just one person's opinion.

But, it's a pretty harsh opinion ... from an academic peer ... who has gained a voice in a prestigious academic journal.

We'll just have to sit back now and watch to see how many other academicians jump to the defense of UNC after reading this one man's opinion.

He's put into words what a lot of people in academia are thinking ... you can rest assured of that.

Personally, I think we are seeing the first embers beginning to breath and take flame. I don't think there is any way possible for UNC to simply "address" these issues and make them go away without some sort of severe sanction.

As I say ... rather than debate or speculate, let's just let it run its course and see where it all takes us ...

i'll ask you the same question

Oct 28, 2014, 7:04 PM

as i posed to Wookie above:

what do you see in the Wainsten Report that is not dealt with in UNC's actions in response to the SACSCOC monitoring?

FWIW the glass is always full. partly with water, partly with air :)

Oh - sorry - so, I'm not going to read any of it, but you

Oct 29, 2014, 2:16 PM

clearly have, so I'll ask you this:

Are you claiming that the entire degree of academic fraud...including scope and longevity...that is outlined in the Wainsten report has already been communicated to the SACSCOC by UNC Chapel Hill at the time that SACSCOC was performing their inquiry? You're saying that nothing is new, academically?

null

willful ignorance?

Oct 29, 2014, 5:48 PM

wow... then don't complain about Roy Williams' alleged ingorance of what was going on,

even if you had the facts, you'd probably just cherry pick or exaggerate the facts, like so many others here.

i guess you'd rather base your opinion and your statments on hyperbole and emotion.

another opinion posted on the Chronicle site

Oct 29, 2014, 1:17 PM [ in reply to You're a UNC "apologist" and that's okay ... ]

http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2014/10/28/cheated-of-a-real-carolina-education/

he makes some good points, but i'm not so sure about the 'victimization' aspect of it

maybe a few of the kids were victims of circumstances beyond their control (or at least thought were beyond their control)

but most were either willing participants or 'went along to get along'

So when did the topic change to 'gang mentality'...?***

Oct 29, 2014, 2:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look, they're just glad everyone agrees that this is over.***

Oct 29, 2014, 2:48 PM

null

UNC-CH has always donned that "Mother Teresa"

Oct 28, 2014, 4:50 PM

...veil of sainthood.

Man...to find out that they were literally sleeping with the entire athletic department, put a whole new light on word "HYPOCRISY".

There will be h311 to pay for this one.

Of course, the NCAA will throw the Harry Potter Invisibility Cloak over Swofford. Ole Johnnie will remain pristine and clean, not a touch, not a scratch, from this implosion.

His judgment remains will be with the antichrist in h3ll!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Oct 29, 2014, 3:01 PM

In many ways the academic community is almost as corrupt as the athletic community. One example is the blatant manipulation of data for USNWR rankings. Those are ignored by "the peer rating" academicians. Very little other than a "they've learned their lesson and no further measures are requried" reaction will be made.

The mere fact that AFAM classes constitute more than 1Hr

Oct 29, 2014, 3:08 PM

elective classes is Academic fraud in and of itself.

No surprise really that they were used to shore up the athletic dept.

But this goes to the heart of PC in academia, which they will defend to their dying breath. Not just UNC, all of academia is invested in this crap being legitimized.

Nothing will come of this. Wrist slap, say your sorry, blah blah. It'll be over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic