Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
China, it’s middle class & Navy can thank Americans buying cheap & Walmart too
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

China, it’s middle class & Navy can thank Americans buying cheap & Walmart too

Apr 4, 2020, 12:16 AM

oh, and American Companies moving plants there to save a buck..

for their unreal economic rise & world power status today..and within 50 years they may be the top global power, it’s thought.

Just hope they don’t put out a college football team and join the SEC since we will be in trouble!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still have a book I read in 1989 or 1990

Apr 4, 2020, 1:12 AM

The Coming War with Japan. Japan was supposed to rule the world by now. Late 80s, Reagan and the Fed devalued the dollar to make imports expensive and help domestic manufacturing, but it had the side effect of Japan buying lots of buildings and US businesses. It didn't happen.

But I don't see anybody stopping China except China.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still have a book I read in 1989 or 1990

Apr 4, 2020, 1:20 AM

India.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:20 AM [ in reply to I still have a book I read in 1989 or 1990 ]

India.

Apr 4, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to I still have a book I read in 1989 or 1990 ]

We could do a lot to hurt China but, unfortunately, I doubt we have the will to do it. In the old days China would peddle addictive opium products to Western addicts. Now China has found something even more addictive in the West - cheap goods and cheap labor. Until we are willing to break that addiction as both consumers and industry China will continue to rise.

The USA is long overdue for a period of self-reflection in regards to China. Maybe this COVID-19 experience will be enough to jar us out our blind addiction to China and at least bring about some change to where we bring vital industries back to the USA even if it results in higher costs. I don't really care if China continues to make toys and plastic dog poo for sale in the USA, but being dependent on the CCP for certain high tech things (eg.. 5G standards/infrastructure) and the medical supply chain is an invitation to commit national suicide.

My wish above all is that after the world gets by this first wave of COVID-19, that China will be punished for their part in this mess by revoking their most favored nation status and kicking them out of the WTO. Alas, that is just wishful thinking because too many would oppose such an action.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

China has been a larger and larger creditor

Apr 4, 2020, 8:45 PM

When Trump started up a trade war, they made some veiled threats about reducing the amount of US bonds they buy, which would increase interest rates and knock over our house of cards. They decided against that, because it would be mutually destructive. There's nowhere to borrow the money for the $2.2T relief package, so we are just creating more money.

You have the opium history upside down. It was the west forcing opium into China. Read up on the opium wars, it's crazy stuff.

I always buy American when given the choice

Apr 4, 2020, 9:40 AM

I can't speak for the rest of y'all, but I didn't move any factories to China. The people that did have names, though, as do the politicians who allowed it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic