Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok, now it's the washingmachineexperts.net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 589

Ok, now it's the washingmachineexperts.net

Sep 30, 2019, 4:28 PM

Fix it for $450 or get a new one for $600-700? It is 8 years old.....

What say ye Lunge?

If replace, any recommendations?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Following

Sep 30, 2019, 4:29 PM

I need a new one too. I have done some research already, but looking at other's opinions.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ours goes off balance and dies on the spin cycle

Sep 30, 2019, 4:37 PM

Almost exactly 50% of the time. Juggle the sopping wet clothes around 3 to four times over several hours and it will eventually spin until the end. Needs new bumper wingnuts and a skyhook sensor. Total is like $480. New similar machines seem to be in the $600-700 range.

I'd pay $2,000 for one if I knew it would last 25 years like our first washing machine. Hell, I'll import it from whereverthehellonearththeystillmakedecentappliances.com.

There is a HUGE market in the US for appliances and other #### that lasts 20-25 years instead of 5-10. I mean start a mom and pop business and make them the old fashion way. People would gladly pay more for something that will last. A lot more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine fails to actually spin during the spin cycle about 75%

Sep 30, 2019, 5:49 PM

of the time - I've already disconnected the switch that turns off the washer when you open the lid, so I just have to give the tub a good spin by hand to kind of jumpstart the spin, then it works.

The washer is probably around 20 years old, so maybe time to upgrade, haha - dryer is the same age.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mine fails to actually spin during the spin cycle about 75%

Oct 1, 2019, 8:05 AM

Open the front of the washer and look for a little hose that is attached to a small reservoir on the side of the tub. This is a vacuum switch that tells the controller if the tub is full of water or not. Over time, the little hose can get clogged with crud and the blockage will tell machine not to spin because it thinks the tub didn't drain and is full of water. Clean the hose out with hot water and a pipe cleaner. Should start spinning correctly for you again.

Also, I would not spend $450 on a 7-8 YO washing maching

Sep 30, 2019, 4:30 PM

repair.

Just got brand new one for $479 at Sears Outlet

Sep 30, 2019, 4:32 PM

Kenmore. Nice model. Top loader. Don't spend $450 fixing one.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check with Fluff...in case no one has heard

Sep 30, 2019, 4:34 PM

he has me covered.

Probably do the same for you.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I REALLY LIKE YOUR POST.***

Sep 30, 2019, 4:35 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get a new one. I bought a .....

Sep 30, 2019, 4:34 PM

Samsung for not much more than you’re talking about repair.

So far so good. #KnockOnWood

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

does your washing machine have an app

Sep 30, 2019, 4:36 PM

or a camera or wifi
just wondering how fancy they are

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when we were looking there were models that could connect to

Sep 30, 2019, 4:38 PM

wifi and you download the app to be able to start the washing or drying cycle when you're away.

mine washes while i'm away but i have to be home to start it

Sep 30, 2019, 4:40 PM

1/2 way there

at first I thought that said

Sep 30, 2019, 4:53 PM [ in reply to when we were looking there were models that could connect to ]

connect to your wife. I was weighing the potential benefits and downsides.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it does I haven’t .....

Sep 30, 2019, 4:39 PM [ in reply to does your washing machine have an app ]

took the time to figure it out lol.

It’s digital etc and to many settings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm tempted to just go cheap and simple

Sep 30, 2019, 4:45 PM

Just because I know the things are made cheap as hell now and designed to break. Not wanting to invest in bells and whistles that blow out in 6-7 years. I want quality, longevity, and they can keep their bells and whistles. I'll take four cycle choices, with a freaking KNOB, and a smaller capacity, if I knew it would last 20+ years. And I'd pay what you pay for all the bells and whistles.

lowes guy told me the plain Roper cheapo is their biggest

Sep 30, 2019, 4:55 PM

seller. Last time, we bought a mid-range top loader Whirlpool, washes clothes perfectly fine.

Will it wash clothes perfectly fine in 10 years. 15? 20?

Sep 30, 2019, 4:59 PM

That's what I'm after.

One thing the guy did mention is that the larger capacities tend to break faster than the ones with smaller capacities. Just because of the added weight, etc. Which is why my rubber bushing flazmanod casings are defective. If I had only filled it half way and no more, they'd be good, as would the zingslinger skyhook sensor.

I'm getting a second opinion on the repair though. Guy was full of crap. Could tell he didn't want to work. Told my wife they'd probably come in so high we'd have to replace it.

i'm at about 17 years on my old maytag

Sep 30, 2019, 6:39 PM

this one still came with metal gears

When I got married, one year out from graduating Clemson

Sep 30, 2019, 8:18 PM

I bought a washer, dryer, and fridge, used, for I think $500. Amana.

We had to let go of the washer and dryer when we sold our old house. That fridge, which was 10 years old used when I bought it, still works fine. Since then I've bought two new other fridges. I'd bet that washer and dryer still work too. All were mfg in 1991.

Re: When I got married, one year out from graduating Clemson

Sep 30, 2019, 10:00 PM

All the best things this world have to offer were made in 1991.

Cocaine is from WAAAAYYYYY before the early 90's Monica

Oct 1, 2019, 7:43 AM

but you keep doing you.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had one of those cheap Ropers. Lasted about 18 years.

Sep 30, 2019, 8:24 PM [ in reply to lowes guy told me the plain Roper cheapo is their biggest ]

That was while raising 2 kids and running that sucker every day. When it died, wife bought a Samsung. Not sure yet how good it is, but it plays a seafaring tune when cycle is complete.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

My Samsung washer made it about 9 years.

Oct 1, 2019, 9:44 AM

I went to Lowe's and told the sales dude I was replacing a 9 year old Samsung washer--he said I did pretty good getting that long out of it. I guess they don't last very long.

I always thought that tune it plays at the end was part of the South Korean national anthem.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best bang for the buck I've seen so far

Sep 30, 2019, 4:42 PM

https://www.samsclub.com/p/samsung-5-cu-ft-top-load-washer-active-waterjet-wa50r5200w/prod22990131?xid=plp_product_1_3

Dude

Sep 30, 2019, 6:11 PM

Do you know how many bags of Doritos you can buy for that amount? I'm sure all the babes at the mat look like this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FTW

Oct 1, 2019, 8:31 AM

Speed queen ftmfWIN

Sep 30, 2019, 9:31 PM

It’s the brand laundry mats use. Top load and will flat wash the chit out of clothes.

Thank you sir. While I looked at Speed Queen and found some

Oct 1, 2019, 5:52 AM

Less than stellar reviews of their newest models, I did find a link to exactly what I was looking for. They still make top loading energy inefficient agitator washing machines that actually clean clothes and even have old fashion knobs and buttons! Found a honey hole link to several. They even have a "#### the EPA" setting that actually fills the whole drum with water.

https://www.reviewed.com/laundry/best-right-now/the-best-top-loading-agitator-washing-machines.amp#ge-gtw485asjws

"Bulky Items" on my Whirlpool does that

Oct 1, 2019, 7:35 AM

"The washer will fill to a default deep fill water level setting regardless of the load size. This cycle uses the highest water level setting of all available cycles." This on about a 5? yr old mid-level top loader. It does have HE settings too. Been pleased with it so far.

I think ours is TR3. got it from place in Pickens

Oct 1, 2019, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Thank you sir. While I looked at Speed Queen and found some ]

Discounted Appliance Warehouse
135 Farrs Bridge Road
Pickens, SC 29671
864-507-3396

discountedappliancewarehouse.com

Awesome folks to deal with.

New one

Sep 30, 2019, 10:35 PM

I did this recently. Same range as you, my employer gives us a big discount and two-year warranty. If you can't repair it yourself, buy new.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maytag Bravos XL

Oct 1, 2019, 1:37 AM

I just replaced mine with these. Whatever brand you choose, high capacity is key. I can now wash and dry twice as many clothes at once.

Eff paying to fix a washer or dryer. If its not a part you can replace yourself, just get a new one and be done with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

GET AN AGITATOR.

Oct 1, 2019, 7:46 AM

High efficiency sucks, especially cleaning mud off kids' clothes (and shit, piss, jizz, blood*)

*+1 to Mr. Zevon

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like this?

Oct 1, 2019, 9:50 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 589
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic