Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 146
| visibility 51

TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer

Sep 26, 2018, 10:00 AM

Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer

Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant told the Greenville News on Wednesday that he intends to transfer. Swinney is expected to address the news on the ACC coaches t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quitter. What a disappointment.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I can't say I've ever been in his shoes...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:05 AM

I don't think it's the best decision, but if he feels that going somewhere else to continue being a starter is his best life move, then good luck to him. I'm disappointed for the outcome, but I'm not going to pass judgment on a kid in this situation.

You've never had any adversity?***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a silly thing to say

Sep 26, 2018, 10:15 AM

Adversity is one thing... having something you've been groomed for "taken" from you, when it could be a life-changing thing (NFL money is life-changing) isn't something I think most of us can relate to, especially not at 22. Honestly, I hope most people can't relate to that...

It's a tough situation for him and he may not, in hindsight, make the best decision... time will tell. But, also given that I don't have a time machine, if he feels he's doing what's best or right, then I wish him well as I don't know the right decision. If he feels betrayed, then I'm confused and disappointed in that specifically, but I'm not privy to all the discussions he had with the coaching staff. If they've been honest with him the whole way through, it's a dog-eat-dog world and you can get yourself up off the mat - that's the adversity to overcome here.

All that said, I don't know the context, so in that light that's why I won't pass judgment and instead I wish KB the best in his future.

Re: That's a silly thing to say

Sep 26, 2018, 10:23 AM

I guess you've never been a part of a lay off...or a downsizing....

Not at 22

Sep 26, 2018, 10:26 AM

That's the lens through which I'm viewing this.

Re: Not at 22

Sep 26, 2018, 10:39 AM

I have at 21...nature of the textiles business which I got my degree in.

Some people don't get time to grow up

Sep 26, 2018, 10:47 AM

Those are the ones that can relate to this (I am not a member of this group). Most people don't have to make life-changing decisions at that age, but some have to. My point was I'm not going to be critical of him for what I see as a difficult situation, even though I disagree with his approach.

That said, I trust you've bounced back since then, and I hope and trust he will too.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Not at 22 ]

Did you go get another job or just wait on the one that let you go to need you again?

Sep 26, 2018, 1:37 PM

I think you are taking things the wrong direction....btw, Dabo didn't let him go. My comment was about 21-22 yr olds in real life do in fact face adversity and let downs. There are many a college student that takes a job out of school for the company they are with to downsize or go belly up. They pick themselves back up and get stronger from it. This has nothing to do with the "losing the job" as much as going through the adversity. In this scenario, there is no job to go back to...in Kelly's, there was.

Sep 26, 2018, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Not at 22 ]

Don't he makes it to the NFL but if that is what he is trying to do than this is the right move.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: That's a silly thing to say ]

I know for certain that if I were to be layed off I would go find another job, not wait for the job to call me. This young man who has been awesome for us and an awesome representative of my school has an opportunity to go to another school and contribute at a very high-level. It's not like he has unlimited eligibility. His windows is small (as is every young man's window in this sport) and he needs to take the most advantage of it he can. If he were to NOT transfer he's basically giving up on himself, waiting for an injury. I know the loss will hurt us down the road but Kelly doesn't have the time left in his window of opportunity to wait for that moment.

Sep 26, 2018, 1:41 PM

If you are laid off, there is no job to go back to.....Kelly had a job to go back to, one where if he improved his performance, he could get his old job back. My comment is discussing 21-22 yr olds going through adversity losing something they were groomed to do...reality is Kelly didn't lose it fully (like a layoff), he just lost being the main starter spot (more like a demotion)....and yes, I've seen plenty of people demoted from their roles and stay with companies. He'd have still been playing as 2nd string. Truth be told, for all we know, Trevor could be the guy that scored 28 points before halftime and Kelly would have played in most games most of the rest of the games...but we'll never know now, will we?

One of KellyBryant's advisers would be cousin Martavis. This

Sep 26, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to That's a silly thing to say ]

team will need Kelly at some point later in the season. It is not as strong a team without Kelly Bryant.

Re: One of KellyBryant's advisers would be cousin Martavis. This

Sep 26, 2018, 10:44 AM

No, the team will move on....Dabo will address the team and that will be that. The season will continue, with or without Kelly.

Re: Team will NEED KB?

Sep 26, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to One of KellyBryant's advisers would be cousin Martavis. This ]

I think that's a stretch. He didnt' stand-out any more in the first four games than in any game last year. What will be missed is his consistent experience as a starter. But give TL a few games and he'll settle in.

He was a valuable member of the team. He was a leader

Sep 26, 2018, 12:14 PM

in the locker room.

Re: He was a valuable member of the team. He was a leader

Sep 26, 2018, 1:45 PM

...and now Trevor will become that. You do realize we wouldn't have Kelly next year and what we have right now is what next year would start looking like, right? Well, we are getting a year leg up on getting it started now. The locker room was eventually going to lose Kelly...he wasn't staying until the end of time.

Re: Quitter. What a disappointment.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

"Quitter" is a bit much don't you think? Dabo did what was best for Dabo in the grand scheme of things and Kelly did what's best for Kelly. "Kelly's a winner Kelly can beat anybody Kelly's a great leader" per Dabo. NCAA created this rule to protect the players as out of character that is for the NCAA they obviously wanted what's best for the player (Kelly Bryant) not the Institution (Clemson Football). Selfish or not, no person, no team, or any University should come before the person you have to look in the mirror for the rest of your life. Best wishes to you Kelly and your family. GO TIGERS!!

Sep 26, 2018, 10:21 AM

Dabo did whats best for the TEAM not Dabo. I’m fine with Kelly doing what’s best for Kelly but while walking out the door please don’t say you weren’t given a fair shot. He had all Winter, Spring, and Summer to separate himself from Trevor but that didn’t happen. Trevor wasn’t annointed the starter for the rest of the year just the Syracuse game. I do feel like he quit on the team also by not sticking it out and trying to earn his job back but so be it. Good luck where ever you go Kelly B.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

Dabo's job...the thing we pay him for...is to do what gives Clemson the best opportunity to win. As a coach, he did just that...don't start this Dabo doing what's best for Dabo.

I saw it.

IF you watched the games you saw it too.

Hate Kelly didn't have the competitive nature to go out and fight to win his job back...

maybe he saw it too...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

I believe Dabo did what was best for both the team and Kelly. He could’ve waited and named Trevor the starter after game 5 so that Kelly didn’t have any options but he didn’t. He did it after game 4 knowing that by the new rule Kelly would be able to be lay somewhere else if he saw that was what he wanted to do. Trevor earned that spot. Kelly had every opportunity to keep it but he didn’t. I hate to see Kelly go but if that’s what’s best for him then I wish him the best. Dabo did something Saben will not do and several other coaches wouldn’t have done either. He gave Kelly an opportunity to play somewhere else rather than to lead him on and keep him out of greed.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

Kelly has dreams and has worked very hard! Let him go for his dreams! He might be the next Cam Newton who until recently couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn! Can’t get to the NFL on 2nd string!!! I hope he makes it and puts all of the doubters in their place! I’m pullin for u Kelly! AlwYs a tiger in my book!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

2nd string can make it to the NFL. Matt Cassel never started a game at Southern Cal and has had a long career.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

2nd string can make it to the NFL. Matt Cassel never started a game at Southern Cal and has had a long career.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

The writing was on the wall at Texas A&M. Kelly played his heart out in that game and took command of the offense in a way I have never seen before. Mentally, he was focused and showing an outward intensity I don't think I've ever seen from a Clemson QB. Sure we've had DW and Tajh show high levels of intensity, but Kelly showed up to A&M by kicking the door down in terms of his conduct during that game. He was ready to fight.

Unfortunately, despite his head and his actions being all in, his physical abilities just couldn't get the performance we needed. He showed flashes of greatness, but he wasn't the thoroughbred Lawrence is.

I am disappointed, but he's been loyal and dedicated. Dabo did whats best for the program, Kelly now has to do whats best for him and his dreams. Thats okay.

I do really hate that we have no solid backup QB now. Having Kelly as a backup QB would mean that we would be elite at QB in a way no other school has, except maybe Alabama. They still have Jalen Hurts as a backup, and we really needed Kelly to be our Jalen Hurts.

Trevor is am awesome QB, but to me, he has not show the same confidence and quick learning ability that Deshaun had. He is also not a natural runner like DW4 Or Kelly. That will take some time for him to learn. Its obvious he's a freshman, thats okay, but I worry he could get injured and leave us stranded at QB. Luckily, he's a big dude, so we will see.

Be all you can be... Kelly B.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

Judge Much?

I question Dabo and coaching staff care for players.. Particularly Kelly.. They let him play against Syracuse last year limping around like a wounded gazelle surrounded by lions until one of them got a hold of him and slammed him to the ground damaging his brain... So, I wonder how much they really do care...

Be all you can be Kelly B! Hope he finds a good school that he feels good about.

I'm sure there is much love in the locker room now for TL.. This group is going to get clickish quick.

Re: Be all you can be... Kelly B.

Sep 26, 2018, 12:47 PM

This compiled with the comments from Deandre Hopkins also makes me wonder...

Sep 26, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Quitter. What a disappointment.*** ]

The ONLY disappointing thing I see are people that would say anything negative about Kelly Bryant! I’ve been hired, fired, promoted and passed over for promotion in my career, but no one called me a quitter for picking myself up off the ground and moving on with my life! God bless Kelly and may he find success wherever he goes!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer

Sep 26, 2018, 10:04 AM

From the information we have seen... it doesnt look like KB could have handled this much worse.

Remember seeing the quote from TL when CDS told him he would start at Syracuse... "OK Coach".

Hope he lands somewhere and does well

Slap in the face? Welcome to the real world.

Real world isn't going to be near as fair! LOL

Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

He slapped his teammates and coaches in the face by quitting on them just because he didn't like the outcome. I have no use for quitters at my Alma Matter. He needs to leave quickly and quietly. Go wherever, but don't expect me to cheer for you.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

You've never quit a job to go somewhere else ?? I love all the saints on this board

Sep 26, 2018, 10:40 AM

Quitting a job because you don't like the job is completely different than leaving a company because you got demoted for your own poor performance. You really need to learn how to look at things correctly.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:04 AM

Technically his job was taken over by someone who could do his job better. Dabo even said Kelly did nothing wrong... just can't hold off trevor any longer.

Sep 26, 2018, 2:11 PM

What the h--- has tl done so great thus far some of you clowns can't see the forest from the trees.They are trying to crown him king before being a prince.Damn even blamed a bad throw on the running back.Must be nice to be some people lmao.#pure favoritism

Sep 26, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

What the h--- has tl done so great thus far some of you clowns can't see the forest from the trees.They are trying to crown him king before being a prince.Damn even blamed a bad throw on the running back.Must be nice to be some people lmao.#pure favoritism

Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation.

It was obvious last year that KB didn't have the passing ability to keep defenses honest and while we did win a lot of games, our offense got shut down quite a bit. Our defense and simple talent level put us past "powerhouses" such as NC State but when we hit great competition our weakness was clearly evident.

When we signed TL and started to see him perform in practices, it was obvious what needed to happen.

But instead of making a decision and showing leadership and making TL the outright starter, while giving KB the option of moving positions (good for his NFL chances) or transferring, the coaches waited and split practice time and let it become obvious to the fan base before making the obvious decision.

I feel bad for Bryant, and I just hope the wasted time splitting snaps in practice doesn't slow TL down too much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice pulse, bro.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:07 AM

Re: Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

Well that's one way to look at it .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

No, it was handled in the best possible way.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:18 AM

Dabo was upfront with him, and let the play on the field dictate the result.

As Dabo said, he could have been underhanded and waited til next week when KB would have no options to transfer.

KB is making a mistake, IMO. 5th year QB transfers have yet to show out, and he isn't likely to set the world on fire somewhere else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only one I can even remember was Russel Wilson...***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

First thing he should have realized is he ain't playingQB in NFL. To leave his team mates is self centered and remember he was going to play more. With this he's told me I'm the top dog and have given up on my team mates. Not a quality of a Clemson man. I'm really sorry we exposed this negative in him. Welcome to the real world

Stupid post.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

ANOTHER IDIOTIC RESPONSE BY GOOD OLD UTTLES WHO SEEMS TO ONLY SLITHER OUT FROM UNDER HIS ROCK TO BASH CLEMSON.

"coaches let it become obvious to the fanbase"

Sep 26, 2018, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

Thats ridiculous.

It's true. It's how lots of coaches do things these days.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:28 AM

Get the public opinion on your side as a CYA move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, you have to be some kind of

Sep 26, 2018, 10:31 AM

dummy to believe that.

Nope, just not naive.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:42 AM

You're making things up as you go along.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:50 AM

Your suggestion that our coaches are not good leaders and they left Kelly out to dry - thats one of the dumbest things Ive ever read.

I don’t blame him *but* the coaches handled it perfectly ...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

If he’s willing to transfer now, he would have transferred earlier.

He believes he’s a starting QB and he wants to go to a school where they believe that too.

I’m confident he will find several opportunities to make that happen.

Given the circumstances, it’s his best option and its best for Clemson that he not be on the sidelines if he’s no longer “All In” .

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did you get to go to practice and see TL?***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

Never can pass up an opportunity to bash Dabo can you?***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is more about the OC. Er I mean, the co-OCs***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

So it was the 54-4 co-OCs decision and plan

Sep 26, 2018, 10:53 AM

and intent to see Kelly fail? Man, you have to be some kind of dummy.

Charleston Tom wanted to hire Paul Johnson

Sep 26, 2018, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

Enough said.

This was 2 or 3 years before Bowden got fired. It would have

been the best option at that time. Pun intended.

Confirmed - he is a dummy.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Charleston Tom wanted to hire Paul Johnson ]

Sep 26, 2018, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Can't blame him. This was a poorly handled situation. ]

exactly how could this situation have been handled better?

This is going to hurt but best of luck to KB. I was hoping he would stick it out for a championship run. O well, turn the page and DESTROY THE CUSE!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:06 AM

Adversity reveals true character. Very disappointed in KB.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Total BS saying slap in the face. It’s called competition and the real world***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:09 AM

Totally Agree

Sep 26, 2018, 10:17 AM

That comment is based on a feeling of entitlement and not the results on the field. Seems like everyone saw this day coming except for KB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once a tiger...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

Now a quitter. Obviously not “all in”

Sep 26, 2018, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

I agree, I don’t remember Cole Stoudt jumping ship for loosing his starting position. It’s this entitlement mentality many kids have now. He could have became the hero Cole did when he stepped in for DW and whipped Oklahoma. This is very disappointing.
GO TIGERS!!!!!

Sep 26, 2018, 11:08 AM

To be fair, Cole didn’t have that option. This 4 game redshirt rule is new.

Sep 26, 2018, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

OK..If you are going to bring Cole Stoudt up...which NFL team is he playing for now? If Kelly had remained at Clemson as a backup, it is very, very unlikely he would be drafted into the NFL. Transferring to another University is the best shot he has at that. If he goes somewhere and really shines it could happen for him, and I hope it does. I do not really think he has the God-given talent to do so, but he obviously thinks he does, so I hope he proves me wrong! I do not dis-agree with the decision Dabo made to start Trevor Lawrence who has received all the accolades from even Pro scouts for a reason. I also don't dis-agree with Kelly Bryant's decision to transfer. In my opinion it is not the best shot he has to make it to an NFL roster. It is his ONLY shot to make it to the NFL! Kelly Bryant is not a quitter for making that decision in my book, he is following his dream, and I think those of us here on this forum should respect that. Kelly Bryant...If you read this, I hope 7 or 8 years from now I see you on TV after winning a superbowl saying how no one believed in you, but you always believed in yourself.

Disappointed that he's choosing to leave, but it's his life and his decision. If he feels like he should make a change, I wish him the best of luck.

He will always be a Tiger, and a great one.

Best wishes KB!

He just made the decision to not be a tiger.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:10 AM

edit: he's a graduate, so he'll always be a tiger. My original posts were a little quick to the trigger. I'm just upset he's leaving.

Agree. Looks like sour grapes. I have lost respect for him.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: He just made the decision to not be a tiger.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:13 AM [ in reply to He just made the decision to not be a tiger. ]

He's a kid and upset. I won't revoke 4 years of competition and leadership for one choice. At the end of the day, he has to do what he thinks is best for him.

I hope he doesn't regret it one day.***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:15 AM

Same here***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:16 AM

Sep 26, 2018, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: He just made the decision to not be a tiger.*** ]

Why do we call 22 years old “kids”? I wasn’t a kid at 22 and neither is he.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps that's not the right way to describe this

I think of it more from the standpoint of "I made a lot of stupid decisions at 22... what on earth was I thinking?" Fortunately for me, none of my decisions were of this visibility/scrutiny or gravity. He may not be a kid, but it takes time to really manage adult decisions like this... I just hope he thought it through and sought help from the people close to him to make the best decision for him (note "best" doesn't mean right).

Sep 26, 2018, 10:16 AM [ in reply to He just made the decision to not be a tiger. ]

Pretty sure he has his degree and has given 4+ years to the university and the team. He’s a Tiger just as much as you or me.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

Yes. Good luck KB and good bye distraction. Go Tigers!

my opinion of him has changed. Thought he was a great unassuming young man, but now he just seems entitled and assumes he should start because he did last year. Trevor has outperformed him and no spot is guaranteed. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up

I hope he succeeds and he will always be a Tiger.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:11 AM

Hope the best for KB

Think might hurt (not much) the Tigers and TL. Now with only one QB. DCs would be able to plan around the freshman a bit easier. With KB and TL they had to have two plans.

I get it

Sep 26, 2018, 10:16 AM

He's emotional about the whole thing right now. I have the same problem. I'd like to think I could lose the super bowl and go up and do an interview like Peyton Manning did where he was totally professional, but my nature is I'd probably act more like Cam Newton when the Panthers lost.

At any rate, I wish KB the best as he is a great person, and I hope this decision works out in his favor.

I've been supporting Kelly Bryant all of the way...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:20 AM

but still, this sudden departure makes me wonder what happened to all the "Bryant and Lawrence support each other 100%"?

Re: I've been supporting Kelly Bryant all of the way...

Yea, I makes me believe it was all a façade by Kelly. I understand that he's disappointed but to go to a paper and say the things he said is what's troubling. Go Tigers.

I wish KB the best, he gave us his best. If he no longer thinks he can give his best, then it is time to make this choice. I personally hope he changes his mind.

I have never been a starter at any sport. I think he may feel a little like when a girlfriend breaks up with me but still wants to be friends and hang out.... it is not an easy situation to remain in. Sometimes the emotions were too much for me and I had to walk away.

Dabo friendzoned KB? Sorry, just had to make that joke.

I read the article from the Greenville news. While I am disappointed in the decision to leave, I understand it. Right now Kelly is an open wound, and I hope in time he will see things clearly and with perspective. He had ample opportunity, and this coaching staff did him a favor by telling him almost a week before game 5 he was not going to start. TL earned this, KB lost it. He could have chosen to stay and fight, but he chose to pursue and unknown hope at a different college.

If he was willing to try a position change I’d say RS him

And start training. He’s an awesome athlete. He could be pro material at several positions

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Thank you KB for a good run in paw country.Hope you land on your feet lil bro!!!

Dissapointed to see KB bail on his teammates midyear like this, I wish him good luck and will pull for him as long as he doesn't end up a Coot.

Message was edited by: dabrian®

Sep 26, 2018, 10:22 AM

To say he wasn’t given a fair shot is really disappointing.

Every opponents new game plan is hurt TL***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:22 AM

That’s my concern too... :(***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:32 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every opponents new game plan is hurt TL***

Sep 26, 2018, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Every opponents new game plan is hurt TL*** ]

that's why our oline has to keep him upright.

Obviously, He Was Not All In***

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean cliches don't translate into reality? Noooooo***

Do I have this right?

Sep 26, 2018, 10:27 AM

Kelly's decision to transfer seems to be based on the following:

1. He is upset that a newcomer to the program is challenging his starting QB role
2. The newcomer has more talent
3. He has worked hard in the program for a long time
4. The newcomer has been more productive and therefore seemingly provides the team a better chance to win

As a result, Kelly will transfer to another school to:

1. Be a newcomer to a program and challenge for the starting QB role
2. Kelly likely will be the newcomer that has more talent
3. Kelly likely will displace someone else who has worked hard at that school for a long time
4. Kelly is hoping to be the QB who is more productive and seemingly provide that school a better chance to win

Seems like Kelly is wanting to do to someone else what has happened to him.

Interesting take

Sep 26, 2018, 10:31 AM

That sounds like how things will most likely play out. KB will go to a new school and pretty much be the most talented guy on the roster. He'll likely take the place of someone who has been there, and to that person it may seem like a "slap in the face".

^^^^THIS^^^^

Sep 26, 2018, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Do I have this right? ]

POTD!!!

Re: Do I have this right?

Sep 26, 2018, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Do I have this right? ]

Great perspective. I really don't have an issue with him leaving. I do think it would be in his best interest to not comment about his feelings on it. Nobody really cares, they'd all assume he's disappointed in the outcome. I don't think it'll hurt the team, Brice is a great backup if it comes to that. If anything giving Lawrence the keys and stopping the split in practice reps will pay dividends.

Best of luck, Kelly B!

Sep 26, 2018, 10:28 AM

Great player, great student, always a Tiger.

I expect with a little time and opportunity to clarify, Kelly will put this in perspective for all of us with the class he's always shown in the past. I can only imagine how difficult this is for him with all the time and effort, and the impact to his well-earned pride. I don't agree with his statements, but I'm not prepared to judge him on that basis. I'll let 16-2 stand in its place. Well done, Kelly B!

Wish him the best of luck wherever he goes and glad, like me, he's an alumnus. I hope he accomplishes what he wants.

When you exist in the spotlight, you get one change to

Sep 26, 2018, 10:30 AM

show people who you truly are. KB did that this week. He had people he doesn't even know watching how he handled this. So much for the leadership qualities. He isn't the only upper classman to lose playing time to a younger player. His entitlement line of thinking will follow him the rest of his life. He's been in Dabo's program for 4 years and apparently learned nothing. "Didn't get a fair shot" is the biggest slice of nonsense I've heard in a long time. The "slap in the face" comment is really all we need to know.

Thanks for what you did at Clemson, but life isn't always about 'what's best for you'. You'll learn this the hard way.

Hits the nail on the head, and also...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:45 AM

I'm sure every NFL GM in the country is eager to get their hands on a guy who will just quit and leave the team high and dry when things don't go their way. Kelly B just shot any NFL draft stock he had in the foot.

Re: Hits the nail on the head, and also...

Sep 26, 2018, 10:57 AM

there was no nfl draft stock to shoot.. just calling it like i sees it..

Sep 26, 2018, 1:06 PM

You are probably right.

Sep 26, 2018, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Hits the nail on the head, and also... ]

This was exactly my first thought about KB's future. Sure, some college teams will be interested, but I have to believe that most will see an immature young man who abandons his teammates when adversity strikes. He has just proven himself untrustworthy. Yes, his road to the NFL would have been rocky as a backup, and he would have lost that last year of eligibility, but his character would not be in question. Who will want him now?

Sep 26, 2018, 10:32 AM

Looks like Kelly thinks there is in fact an "I" in team. We really need him to show some maturity and stay instead of taking his ball and going home like a ten year old on the playground who didn't get his way. If he really leaves, he will regret it for the rest of his life, he is upset now but in time that will fade; the legacy of quitting on your team mid-season because you got your feelings hurt will stay around forever in Clemson history. That's no way to go out KB.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:36 AM

I'll wait for CDS to make the announcement. If Kelly made those statements in the paper I'm disappointed on how he has handled the situation. Everyone know that Hunter Johnson was upset by being passed on the depth chart in the spring but he didn't go out and basically slap the coaches in the face by making false statements about not getting a fair chance at the position. He had an entire season that he was the starter. Yes the team went 12-2 but there were many situations that the defense did save that record. KB did have some great games last year but he was just inconsistent and had to many games that the defense saved for him. I know some of that was to O-line but teams knew that Kelly couldn't beat them deep so they would crowd the line and the receivers knowing he would have to beat them with fast releases. The teams like Bama just crowded the receivers taking away the short passes making and putting a lot of pressure on the O-line to hold the blocks. Once they got Kelly scrambling he no longer was looking downfield and the DB's could come off their receivers and go after Kelly. I know many fans wanted Trevor to start and thought he should have started all season. Kind of like they thought DW4 should have started day one. But truth be known Kelly was a better option than Cole. But his comments were just wrong. I believe the coaches gave him more than a chance to produce on the field. As far as the TAMU game. He did come in and have 2 good series in the 3rd quarter but what about the other 3 or 4 the rest of the second half. I still wish him well but he had more than enough time and chance to prove that he was the QB that Clemson needed to win it all.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:38 AM

This morning when I read that Kelly might transfer I was shocked! I’ve considered Kelly a competitor, but now that he’s been beat this ONE WEEK, I believe he is showing his true self! His fire for competition doesn’t burn as hot as I/we thought! I must be honest and say I’m disappointed, but he has to do what he thinks is best for him! I certainly wish him no ill, but have honestly lost respect for him as a competitor! Be interesting to follow him and see how it turns out for him, believe he’s made a mistake, but good luck young man!

Sep 26, 2018, 11:23 AM

Maybe he feels he wasn't beat.. Maybe we lose against A&M without Kelly... Lord knows our defense didn't show. They used him to win then benched him, not for losing the game but for not passing as well as TL.

If Kelly is the leader that Dabo says he is, see what happens when your leader is no longer there.

I'm sure they will follow the freshman.

Sep 26, 2018, 12:15 PM

Army Chief - Really? A better passer than TL? That’s not the only thing. TL opens up the rest of our offense. Running backs start getting more carries and more yards, because they have to play honest football. Wow!!!!

Sep 26, 2018, 10:40 AM

Best of luck KB. I hope he realizes his dreams and plays in the NFL. But youth plays tricks on the mind and I doubt he will ever take an NFL preseason snap. Still he did good work when he was here and conducted himself well enough that Dabo gave him the information timely to make this decision.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:45 AM

blah blah blah blah blah. I would have been one of the first people in line to defend Kelly Bryant and head hope for the best for him this year since you did so much for us last year winning 16 of 18 games as a quarterback. But now if he was one of the greatest people that Dabo says he was, and was such a great leader, he wouldn't be doing this. I now view him as a sore loser and a quitter. We needed Kelly Bryant and he should know that. But when the other guy plays better than you he gets to start. This is selfishness on Kelly's part. As much as we needed him as our starter or backup, I say from this point forward that he will fade Into obscurity. He needed us just like we need him. I see a lot of loose threads at Clemson but lot of people will argue and call me crazy. This may very well be the start of a very huge dilemma.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:04 AM

what dilemma would that be? and, if there is one.. i have the utmost faith that our coaches will make the right decision to remedy that dilemma.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer ]

Having read all the comments just want to inject my 2 cents. 1st, I have always believed TL should be the starter. After watching the spring game I saw the explosive potential in our offense with TL and our recieving corps.
2nd, Coach Swinney handled this delicate situation as best he could. It appears each player was given ample opportunity to excel. He displayed total transparency during the whole process. 3rd, KB gave it his all as QB. On and off the field. I wish him the best in pursuing his dreams in life. If the remarks KB made about feeling treated unfairly are true there nothing anyone should say about this because only he can speak on how he feels. In the end the big lesson is you can do everything correct, as did Coach Sweeney and KB, but things still turn out bad. We need KB to win it all. As I have said, college football is a battle of attrition and depth at every position is vital. Without KB our QB situation behind TL is very shaky. Hope it all works out for everyone involved.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:49 AM

QBVII said:

Having read all the comments just want to inject my 2 cents. 1st, I have always believed TL should be the starter. After watching the spring game I saw the explosive potential in our offense with TL and our recieving corps.
2nd, Coach Swinney handled this delicate situation as best he could. It appears each player was given ample opportunity to excel. He displayed total transparency during the whole process. 3rd, KB gave it his all as QB. On and off the field. I wish him the best in pursuing his dreams in life. If the remarks KB made about feeling treated unfairly are true there nothing anyone should say about this because only he can speak on how he feels. In the end the big lesson is you can do everything correct, as did Coach Sweeney and KB, but things still turn out bad. We need KB to win it all. As I have said, college football is a battle of attrition and depth at every position is vital. Without KB our QB situation behind TL is very shaky. Hope it all works out for everyone involved.

There will have to be adjustments of course. But consider last year. Sure Kelly wasn't a freshman, but he was the starter for the first time, it was all on his shoulders alone. He had his moments but never made QB 'his' so that other teams feared him as a threat.

On the other hand TL is a threat from day one with his talent and will have to grow quickly as starter. He's skinny compared to Bryant, they're built different, but I don't see him crumpling just because he's a freshman. He now has the mantle and we'll see if he carries it forward and is followed by the rest of the offense. I think he proved already this year he's got their support. So now it's up to the OL coordinator to figure out how to give him enough protection from the competition's defense. He's got a bunch of games to give him the much needed experience.

The Syracuse game will be a good test for Trevor. If he can weather the Orangemen I think we'll be just fine into the playoffs this year.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:46 AM

It's not his decision that disappoints me, it's his comments. He could have easily left on a good note, but saying how he didn't get a fair shot is ridiculous. I understand why he is leaving, it sucks for the team and the fan base, but it's completely understandable. We've had 4 QBs now leave the program this year and KB's departure has been the most unprofessional and entitled.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:49 AM

Best of luck to Kelly Bryant.

And good luck to Trevor Lawrence. And to Chase Brice.

Clemson went from an "embarrassment of riches" (as one talking head put it) to normal in a hurry! I believe most teams in the country would still trade their situation for ours.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:09 AM

First mention of our other backup QB in this thread. We need to get behind Chase cause I'm sure we'll need him game ready somewhere along the way.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:37 AM

Yes...college football has a long season now. And both are still freshmen playing against grown men!

Gville news article...

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/09/26/clemson-football-kelly-bryant-transfer/1427832002/

Anyone else just glad the two QB system is over with ?

Sep 26, 2018, 1:33 PM

It may not be. CB needs to be ready to come in at any time. So the coaches could put him in during critical games early so he can get a real feel for the game just in care TL gets hurt. I think last years Syracuse game showed the coaches that the need to have a QB ready to play at all points in the game.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:57 AM

How you manage rejection in life is how you will succeed.

If you go down a path of, "I need to step it up, get it together, and prove 'em wrong" then eventually things turn around. If you don't take the constructive criticism as a motivation to be better, you'll have a defeated attitude.

I don't think leaving is the right decision, but hopefully it works out for him. On the other hand, he probably saw his NFL dream go down the toilet and this is his "panic" plan. He'll see if it was the right decision in 5-10 years.

Sep 26, 2018, 10:59 AM

I'm happy for KB. Making TL the starter was the plan from day one. They were too worried about having a Stoudt/Watson situation again, that they didn't think this one all the way through. Go back to the spring game, TL had all of the best receivers. Even in the most recent games, the plays for KB were garbage! TL is awesome, but he is not ready! When he faces real defenses, he struggles! His last High School game, the Army All American Bowl, and more recent, Texas A&M. In the Army All American Bowl, he threw more interceptions in the first quarter of the game than he did in his entire season for Cartersville High School. That tells you he is not used to facing strong defenses. Unfortunately, the way the ACC is playing right now, we may not see a real defense until the playoffs and that's if we make it in. We need KB! Before you guys continue to knock him, remember all the great Qb's they said would never play in the NFL, Tom Brady went in the 6th round and they thought he was only good enough to compete for a practice squad spot. KB at least owes himself the opportunity and he will not have that sitting on our bench!

Sep 26, 2018, 12:14 PM

Curbeam25 said:

I'm happy for KB. Making TL the starter was the plan from day one. They were too worried about having a Stoudt/Watson situation again, that they didn't think this one all the way through. Go back to the spring game, TL had all of the best receivers. Even in the most recent games, the plays for KB were garbage! TL is awesome, but he is not ready! When he faces real defenses, he struggles! His last High School game, the Army All American Bowl, and more recent, Texas A&M. In the Army All American Bowl, he threw more interceptions in the first quarter of the game than he did in his entire season for Cartersville High School. That tells you he is not used to facing strong defenses. Unfortunately, the way the ACC is playing right now, we may not see a real defense until the playoffs and that's if we make it in. We need KB! Before you guys continue to knock him, remember all the great Qb's they said would never play in the NFL, Tom Brady went in the 6th round and they thought he was only good enough to compete for a practice squad spot. KB at least owes himself the opportunity and he will not have that sitting on our bench!

The coaching staff gave KB the chance to step up his game beyond his last year performance. He won starting position. We know you don't bring TL on board expecting to keep him benched. You DON'T bench talent like that. You bring them along, give them their shots. Clemson played all 72 players on the road, that's what they do. Now KB doesn't like that his performance was outshone by Trevors? Sour grapes. Sure he gets to have eligibility someplace next year... which means what? He gets to go out and play for a lesser team than the Tigers... hurrah. He wasn't in the same position as Hunter Johnson by a long shot.

What this says is he didn't feel he could do any more than he was already doing. He peaked in his ability as a quarterback for the Tiger offense. His dual threat never materialized where any serious team worried about him coming back under adversity during the game. Once they had him shut down they didn't have to worry about him rallying like DW would.

Lets be honest. Kelly is a good quarterback, not a GREAT quarterback. The Tiger receivers and backs deserve someone putting forth as much effort as they do. And Kelly just hasn't been able to do that consistently. Putting a few scores on the board during the A&M game doesn't excuse a lot of 3-n-outs or need for 4th conversions.

What does he gain by leaving? Another year somewhere else where he may shine his ego somemore? We all know he'd be a valuable asset to the Tigers the remainder of the season, and would have had substantial playing time as TL matures. But his ego is too big to see that picture. So now he leaves and we have to hope TL can move into the position fully. Bryant will find this a decision which will bite him in the butt long term because he's apparently more important in his own mind than his gameplay proved he was in reality.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:03 AM

KB owes Clemson, and us the fanbase, nothing. He has put his blood sweat and tears into this program in a way that nobody here can really fully understand.

He took us to the playoffs. He is tough. We've only faced adversity once this season, at A&M, and he was our guy. That's invaluable.

I really hate that he's leaving, but I understand. I just hope that TL can perform under pressure and is as good as he's billed by literally everyone when the games are on the line.

Regardless, nothing but love, KB. Ignore the haters.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:15 AM

While I understand Kelly needs to do what he feels best for his future and can accept his decision to leave, I am really disappointed in his comments...... "slap in the face" and " did not get a fair shot". Really disappointing! Dabo gave him every conceivable chance to compete for and retain his position. Really unfortunate that KB takes this stance. There are no participation trophies being handed out in big time college football. Every position is up for grabs every week.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:16 AM

the tnet article says that he is eligible to play immediately upon transfer. i thought he'd have to sit a year.. or am i misunderstanding what i'm reading?

Sep 26, 2018, 2:43 PM

Immediately means he will not lose a years eligibility due to playing for Clemson this year. If he had taken a single snap in a fifth game at Clemson he would have. He will be eligible to play all year next year anywhere he chooses. Considering the lack of talented quarterbacks at other schools, he likely already has offers, and may have already determined where he will land.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:25 AM

This has me floored...I was at the Sugar Bowl and supported KellyB after the loss...even when people were commenting that he sucked during the game...I posted it was a lack of experience not talent...and yet first time things got tough on him...he decides to quit on a team...especially quitting on 3 players Wilkins, Ferrell and Bryant who came back instead of going pro

Sep 26, 2018, 11:29 AM

I never wish ill on anyone, but Kelly let his teammates down. We were going to need Kelly at some point in the season and he was a valuable part of this team. If his reason for leaving is merely to search for better opportunities then fine, but if his motivation is to hurt this team, that's another story. I guess none of us will know his motivation until he speaks up, and if his true motivation is to hurt the team, we will never know. I wish he would reconsider and stay. I don'tant him to make a mistake that will hurt him or the team.

Chase Brice; the real winner in this

Sep 26, 2018, 11:30 AM

When TL gets hurt (you know he will at some point) Brice gets rewarded for his work and persistence. Even if TL does not get hurt, blowouts are-a-comin which now means more time for Brice AND Batson. I’m sure Batson never dreamed to be two plays away from being the starting QB.
KB owes Clemson nothing. Good Luck to him. I love Clemson, but with all he has done and now be faced with sit on the bench or star somewhere else for your likely last year of organized football? I believe I would walk too.

There's lots of room on the list...

Sep 26, 2018, 11:33 AM

Of freshman QGs who have won National Championships. No one has done it since Jamele Holieway in 1985 at OU. And he's the only one! Different era. I still believe Trevor Lawrence gives us our best chance to beat Bama!

BTW, just read the G'ville News article. I am sorry Kelly Bryant feels like he was not treated fairly, but it seemed obvious to me that Lawrence has the best skill set. I still wish KB the best. I am certain he is disappointed.

Sep 26, 2018, 11:44 AM

Sad day to be a tiger. Best wishes KB heck of a run. YOU will always be a tiger # OnceATigerAlwaysATiger!!

Sep 26, 2018, 11:56 AM

KB is a graduate, so will always be a Clemson Tiger. The draft affected many of us very young (No not that one...Uncle Sam’s Draft) Sorry this didn’t work the way you want, but do what you can, where you are with what you got! Best wishes for life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bye***

Sep 26, 2018, 11:59 AM

Kelly = Martavis 2.0

Sep 26, 2018, 12:01 PM

Didn't really feel the need to post until I actually read the article in the G-ville News. Didin't get a fair shot?!?! Yeah, keep listening to Martavis. Hopefully, you are still smart enough to actually use the degree you earned at Clemson, because you aren't playing QB in the NFL.

Re: Kelly = Martavis 2.0

Sep 26, 2018, 2:15 PM

Amazing how I can tell what you are by reading your post,TRASH

Re: TNET: As a fan

Sep 26, 2018, 12:31 PM

As a Clemson fan I'm disappointed, but I can completely see KB's side. I don't agree that he wasn't given a fair shot though. This is big boy football where they put the best on the field. You were out performed.

Sep 26, 2018, 1:27 PM

Two points. 1- Transferring to another school when you lose your starting position may look worse to NFL scouts than losing your staring position.
2- He may end up doing the same thing to some other quarterback at the school he transfers to.
Wish he woukd stay, maybe try his hand at receiver position, etc.

Sep 26, 2018, 3:01 PM

The time to convert to receiver would have been last Spring. All along I wanted KB to realize that there's no way he'll be an NFL QB. But with his speed he for sure has a shot at receiver or DB. I.e., follow Braxton Miller's example.

Who knows? If KB had made the switch, we might still have HJ, too, and not be as thin at QB as we are now.

Good for Chase Brice, though. Endurance pays: he's now the backup, and will likely see a lot more playing time.

Sep 26, 2018, 1:59 PM

Report: Clemson QB Kelly Bryant to transfer

Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant told the Greenville News on Wednesday that he intends to transfer. Swinney is expected to address the news on the ACC coaches t Read Update »

To all on this board who think they can tell another person what the H--- they can and can't do shut the f--- up,who the h--- are you

Sep 26, 2018, 3:18 PM

Woa woa...you can't tell other people what to do....

Replies: 146
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic