Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Charleston Southern Players Suspended for FSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Charleston Southern Players Suspended for FSU

Sep 9, 2016, 3:26 AM

30+ Charleston Southern football players are under NCAA investigation and many will be suspended against Florida State this Saturday.

It appears is stems from players using excess book money to buy school supplies, clothes, and electronics from the bookstore after being advised they could use their left over funds on such items.

I hope these links work.

A reply from WR Colton Korn --

https://twitter.com/AriyaMassoudi/status/774088370968330240

A reply from OL Frank Cirone = the entire offensive line is suspended.

https://twitter.com/AriyaMassoudi/status/774095661247504384

A reply from RB Ben Robinson

https://twitter.com/AriyaMassoudi/status/774070804015218689

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's absurd

Sep 9, 2016, 3:51 AM

any money left over should be yours. What if you want to rent a used book instead of buy a new one? Who gets the left over money?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it's analogous to the Whitney,

Sep 9, 2016, 8:09 AM

where players received a housing allowance that was intended to pay only part of their rent, then they got a sweetheart deal from that hotel and pocketed the difference. The money for books has to be used for books. In this case, it was money credited to the bookstore so they never saw it. There would be less trouble if they only bought supplies and not electronics.

But it's the fault of the bookstore.

Re: No, it's analogous to the Whitney,

Sep 9, 2016, 11:56 AM

You are close....but in reference to the Whitney, many of the coot players were pocketing ALL the money designated for the rent. The Whitney wasn't being paid a dime...but they didn't seem to mind.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is stupid. Of all things for the NCAA to be

Sep 9, 2016, 5:21 AM

focused on. Oh my gosh - these kids spent their book money on (insert jaw drop) ---

dun dun dun ---

SCHOOL SUPPLIES!

The NCAA is a joke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

of course they're focused on it. this is absolutely

Sep 9, 2016, 1:35 PM

in the realm of things colleges and universities do to pay players under the table. You give people a "book allowance" of 10,000 dollars a year, and then tell them to feel free to spend their extra 9500 dollars on anything else in the store, like as a down-payment on a BMW 9 series that the assistant coach is coincidentally providing leases on, in the parking lot outside the back of the building.

Re: Charleston Southern Players Suspended for FSU

Sep 9, 2016, 5:47 AM

NCAA Is a joke.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2016, 6:37 AM

That could turn into GT vs Cumberland
GO TIGERS !!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i can hear the laughter all the way from Chapel Hill***

Sep 9, 2016, 6:40 AM

Let me get this straight: UNC can cheat and falsify grades

Sep 9, 2016, 6:44 AM

for bogus classes and not get any penalty and CSU players get suspended for actually buying school supplies with left over book money! Yeah, that sounds real fair! Nice work NCAA!

No...csu could play the kids , ignore everything and

Sep 9, 2016, 7:53 AM

Then deny everything and lawyer up like uncheat did.

Do you really think the ncaa has some1 at baptists college's bookstore?

Likely a coach called the ncaa and asked if this was ok. Ncaa said it was against rules. Then Baptist college volunteered to reprimand.

Stop blaming the ncaa just because uncheat is full of slimeballs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'm blaming the NCAA because it's a stupid rule, just like

Sep 9, 2016, 11:39 AM

many others they have. You're probably correct in that it's the school self administering punishment. CSU wasn't going to win this game anyway but I just think this is insane to get penalized for this when UNC and others (Auburn with Cam Newton) get away with much worse! NCAA is a joke!

it isn't a stupid rule. it's a rule because this is one of

Sep 9, 2016, 1:37 PM

the classic methods places like SMU used to pay their players. Was Charleston paying their players? That doesn't matter. It's against the rules. Someone in compliance should have known that, and someone in the bookstore should have called compliance, which I'm guessing is an 80,000 dollar a year job in Charleston's administrative network somehwere, and compliance would have told the bookstore "no you can't do that."

Condemning using leftover book money for school supplies

Sep 13, 2016, 8:30 AM

is a stupid rule, I don't care how you justify it. The kids should be there for "SCHOOL" #1 priority and Football #2. My two cents!

So if they are down 30 players, that means they'll have 33

Sep 9, 2016, 7:32 AM

or so scholarship players playing against FSU? That is stupid. They might as well cancel the game and let FSU have a scrimmage. Feel sorry for those kids.

final: FSU 312 Charleston Southern -58.

Sep 9, 2016, 7:59 AM

Is it possible to have a negative score? We'll find out this week.

Well i guess they aren't favored to win now.***

Sep 9, 2016, 8:01 AM

Here is link to article from local Newspaper

Sep 9, 2016, 8:06 AM

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160908/160909531/sapakoff-charleston-southern-football-growing-pains-likely-to-continue

LOL! "Under this silly NCAA rule, students are

Sep 9, 2016, 1:42 PM

supposed to use scholarship money only on stuff like books, not on clothing or snacks." Yeah, it's amazing how scholarship money works like that. Next, you'll be telling kids in the Honors College at Clemson that their scholarship tuition money isn't usable at Tiger Town Tavern, while running an open tab.

Sep 9, 2016, 9:47 AM

This is what is wrong with NCAA

They let UNC and the SEC get away with everything then slam Charleston Southern

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CSU not NCAA applied the penalties

Sep 9, 2016, 10:27 AM

unbelievable! Talk about eating your own!

I doubt the ncaa slammed any 1 in this situation

Sep 9, 2016, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Charleston Southern Players Suspended for FSU ]

And Baptist college could have take the alabama, uncheat way out if they were slimeballs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 9, 2016, 11:30 AM

This is beyond stupid if the football player's side of the story is true. My understanding is that no scholarship money ever went directly to the athlete - the scholarship money was sitting with the Campus Bookstore. The athlete would go to the bookstore, pick up their books, go to the bookstore register where the bookstore would debit the cost of books from the scholarship funds already provided to the bookstore. If this is true, one wonders if the Campus Bookstore was required to return any left over scholarship money back to the University? That in itself would be incentive for the bookstore to encourage the players to spend their full book stipend on other stuff in the bookstore - after all the Campus Bookstore sure wouldn't want to lose any profits by returning any of that scholarship money.

Seems to me that if the Campus Bookstore encouraged these athletes to use the left over book money on other items then the Campus Bookstore needs to be dealt with accordingly. The athletes should be educated on the proper use of "book money" but a game suspension seems a bit ridiculous as currently presented.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2016, 11:45 AM

Just when I thought it was going to be a game...

this is SO dumb. school supplies!!!!

Sep 9, 2016, 12:03 PM

now if they were in the SEC, they could get arrested & purchase some synthetic weed and still get to play.
so not fair!

Sep 9, 2016, 1:24 PM

If the suspensions are solely at the discretion of the school, the administration doesn't have the smarts to run a football program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic