Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chance to be Top 5 in both offense and defense this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Chance to be Top 5 in both offense and defense this year?

Apr 9, 2018, 12:30 PM

With so much QB talent, and so much quality depth on defense, I see us continuing to score the entire game, and avoiding those opponent garbage points in the fourth quarter. How many games did we all cringe when our opponent was able to pick up meaningless points against the third team defense, or we saw our offense simply grind it out to run out the clock at the end of games? With the QB's we have, do you really think Dabo will tell them to just hand the ball off late in the game? I see us with a real chance to be in the Top 5 on both sides of the ball this season. Plus this year, we may just shut out multiple opponents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

O should roll the entire game. D might give up garbage...

Apr 9, 2018, 12:47 PM

points just b/c of out lack of depth in the secondary. I hate doing that, but it's needed experience for the young guys. It definitely helps us reload rather than rebuild in years to come.

Re: O should roll the entire game. D might give up garbage...

Apr 9, 2018, 12:53 PM

You have a good point there about the defense last year First team held them down, then the backups surrenders the touchdowns. Hopefully our second and third team defense will be a lot better this year. Go Tigers

Re: O should roll the entire game. D might give up garbage...

Apr 9, 2018, 1:08 PM [ in reply to O should roll the entire game. D might give up garbage... ]

For sure. We might give up some dumb plays. But if our line is as dominant as we think it will be, our secondary just might get bailed out enough to look better than they are. We have some studs back there. If we stay healthy, we'll be in great shape

What I'm about to say won't be popular but it's true-

Apr 9, 2018, 1:29 PM

Our DL as a collective group is insane. Best in the nation. But as individuals, they need to step up some with the pass rush at times. There were several games last year where our guys struggled to get pressure. That was part of the reason their stock hurt with regards to the NFL. None of them were freakishly dominant one on one on a consistent basis. With another year under their belt, I could see all of our guys being much better though.

Re: What I'm about to say won't be popular but it's true-

Apr 9, 2018, 1:40 PM

well i am quite sure that will make them feel much better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What I'm about to say won't be popular but it's true-

Apr 9, 2018, 1:50 PM

Their feeling on the matter are irrelevant. It's what the NFL scouts said which was obviously valid enough to keep any of them from going high.

I would think our tempo will be really fast - a goal of 90

Apr 9, 2018, 1:39 PM

plays per game? With our quality depth, we should be able to run as fast a tempo as we ever have to wear teams down and to get our second and third team players tons of reps to improve in case they are needed more later in the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our D getting 3 & outs will help run up our plays on O too***

Apr 9, 2018, 7:14 PM

Re: Chance to be Top 5 in both offense and defense this year?

Apr 9, 2018, 1:50 PM

If the secondary doesn’t screw us up we should have the #1 Defense and I would take top 20 Offense.
Except for Maybe TAM on the road and FSU , we will look like a pro team compared to the rest.
If the secondary is the weak link this year send the House.

Defense - yes. Offense - probably not.

Apr 9, 2018, 2:55 PM

It also depends a lot on what metrics you are using to determine top 5. Total offense and total defense are pretty bad stats to be perfectly honest. They don't factor in the number of plays (yards per play is often more indicative of success than total yards) or account for garbage time, as you mentioned.

There are other metrics such as FEI and S&P+ on Football Outsiders that do a much better job and also throw out garbage time stats so that they aren't factored into the data.

Per S&P+ we were 2nd in offense and 6th in defense in 2016. In 2015 we were 6th in both.

FEI had us 6th in offensive and 3rd in defense in 2015, and 6/9 in 2016.

Neither had us in the top 5 of both in the same year.

Re: Chance to be Top 5 in both offense and defense this year?

Apr 9, 2018, 2:59 PM

I wouldn't expect us to have a top 5 offense because we will be compared to teams in the Pac 12 and Big 12 who can just play catch against the pathetic defense that league tends to play. Then you have to think non power 5 teams that usually have circus like offenses that rally behind one superb athlete.

Better metrics account for all of that with opponent

Apr 9, 2018, 3:01 PM

adjustments.

Highly doubtful***

Apr 9, 2018, 3:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Tigers are in for a treat this year

Apr 9, 2018, 7:44 PM

Offense and Defense will roll. There are few weaknesses on the team and D-Line, LB's and Offensive skill players are exceptional.

All that said, Dabo is all in to win. He's not a run-up-the-score coach in most games to his credit. He gives the backups at most positions a shot to get some game snaps. I look for Dabo and TE to continue handing off late in games, but with consistently improving blocking, these hand-offs will result in more long runs and TD's against very tired defenses. It should be a banner year.

Defense has a great opportunity to be in top 5 if the secondary stays healthy. I see Offense improving from last year's ranking of 32nd with 6014 yards gained and 33 points a game ... to a 2018 ranking between 10-20 scoring 35-38 points per game with subs getting some p.t. As a comparison, 2016 natl championship team ranked #1 in yards gained with 7555 and averaged 39 pts per game (which was #14 in country).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic