Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open

Jun 20, 2015, 6:31 PM

People are complaining about the course but I love it. Outside of the greens which aren't as bad as being mentioned, it challenges them. I get tired of watching them go 15 under all the time. This course is forcing them to hit precise shots and get creative. Miss, you get punished. For the best golfers in the world, that's how it should be.

And it's on a public course any of us can play. Even better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open

Jun 20, 2015, 7:11 PM

I totally disagree. It's a goat farm. Fans can't follow the golfers, two caddies hurt from falls or slips, professional golfers are 3 putting because the course is so lousy. Now the have the announcers cherry picking the shots so viewers will think the course is better than it is. I totally agree with Gary Player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2015, 7:14 PM

My sole gripe is I can't find the friggin' ball on the tube. Whether it's the cam angles, or the mottled color of the course itself, I've had better luck following the puck in a hockey match...and I suck at that! This is worse!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ME too....same problem watching British***

Jun 20, 2015, 7:19 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally agree with you. US Open should be on great course

Jun 20, 2015, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open ]

Tough is good, but it should be on a deserving course. Safe this for the British Open.

Re: I totally agree with you. US Open should be on great course

Jun 20, 2015, 7:53 PM

Chambers Bay is an example of what can happen when you have fools making important decisions. Every major golf architect in the world submitted a proposal for that course, and they chose RTJones, jr., an individual who has never designed a highly rated course in his entire career.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I totally agree with you. US Open should be on great course

Jun 21, 2015, 10:19 AM [ in reply to I totally agree with you. US Open should be on great course ]

even the British Open is not this bad!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2015, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open ]

Did you go to kiawah? Talk about places where you can't watch anything... I suggest you quit crying and enjoy watching the fellas go through all shots in their bag.

Jun 20, 2015, 7:17 PM

I'm sorry - that could have been one of the most beautiful golf courses in the world, and it looks like a combination of a partially cut Coastal Bermuda hayfield/cow pasture in February, a links course and Dresden after WWII.

Why not Pebble Beachish? It's an area with plenty of rain.

What are the things that look like bombed out ruins and pagan obelisks?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Those are remnants of the old quarry buildings

Jun 20, 2015, 7:26 PM

God only knows why they thought it would be attractive to keep them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those are remnants of the old quarry buildings

Jun 21, 2015, 10:30 AM

is that where they keep the goats??????I can think of NO REASON for this course to be this bad!!!~!

Jun 20, 2015, 7:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open ]

Country Gent.. Those are left over remains of the quarry. Seattle was built mainly from it and now transitioned into a golf course..

I agree grass is less than good, but overall course is a challenge and i like that. If perfectly green, would be one hek of an amazing place. I heard course designer picked that grass on purpose though...

A telltale Sign that a course is ODD

Jun 20, 2015, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Chambers Bay.. U.S. Open ]

Every other shot the announcers say

"Let's see where this one ends up?"

After the ball hits the ground.

null

Re: A telltale Sign that a course is ODD

Jun 20, 2015, 7:48 PM

It's like St. Andrews. Just newer so they don't knkw the rollouts yet.

Re: A telltale Sign that a course is ODD

Jun 20, 2015, 7:57 PM

Actually, they've softened four of the green complexes since the US Am was played there, or it would be even more of a farce.

Jun 20, 2015, 7:27 PM

It might be a public course, but I'm not paying $300 in greens fees to play there. Especially considering I'd be so mentally drained, I'd probably quit after nine and go get drunk.

But I guess it's OK to switch it up for the pros every now and then.

Jun 20, 2015, 7:42 PM

Personally they would have to pay me to play that course. Reminds me of the courses in Ireland, which I despise. Stopped watching it earlier today due to the fact it is so unattractive. I play 3-4 times a week and refuse to play anything like that piece of crap. Glad the courses around me aren't like that. It just totally sucks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2015, 7:46 PM

this course is a complete embarrassment to that club, to the USGA and to the members!how anyone could let that goat pasture host the US Open is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!it is just AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 20, 2015, 7:48 PM

I tend to like the natural look Lite

Jun 20, 2015, 8:02 PM

I would like to be paid big bucks for raking the leaves! One tree on the entire 18 holes .... and it's a douglas fir.

Course and announcers

Jun 20, 2015, 10:36 PM

$uck imo.

Does not look like the spectators can even follow the golfers.

The best thing is prime time golf. Unfortunately this prime time golf sux.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2015, 11:20 PM

I kind of have to agree also...I mean it's not super appealing when you turn the tube on but it reminds me of those old courses like the British open or something..I am actually enjoying watching these guys having to be creative and work for pars and not just going through the motions ending up 20 under... I also don't think this course has been open but for like 4 years so I'm sure it will get alot better

Jun 20, 2015, 11:52 PM

I agree and I think the leader board is proving that its a fair test of golf. I dont care how hard they make it... They all have to play the same course, so that alone makes it fair to me. For a pro to complain about having to hit very precise shots is like Watson complaining about having to throw the ball in a tight window. Save your breath.

My only complaints are with the tv coverage. Im not sure if its bad set up or the camera guys at Fox arent used to tracking golf balls, but it stinks. I am also not a fan of Joe Buck commentating on golf. I like the rest of the crew; Faxon, Norman, Saunders are all good, but Buck should stick to baseball and football IMO.

Circus golf

Jun 21, 2015, 8:27 AM

usga always butchers courses. What will it take to get this course playable again? When you land your tee shot a few feet from the left rough and the ball ends up in the right rough, something is wrong. Shots hit 40' past the hole and roll back 45', not due to spin is outrageous. I got sick of it yesterday and will not watch today.

I doubt the course is that bad normally. The USGA

Jun 21, 2015, 9:41 AM

likes to fry greens, let rough grow out to absurd lenghts, and various other things to make the courses obscenely difficult for the US Open. Sometimes it works out well, and sometimes you end up with a circus.

The biggest issue with this course is that it's terrible for the fans trying to attend the event.

Re: I doubt the course is that bad normally. The USGA

Jun 21, 2015, 10:18 AM

where are these "greens" that U speak of??? I see the flags and guys putting but NO GREENS! I guess the players should be glad that they did get the goats off the course before play began!this is the most pitiful excuse for a golf course that I have ever seen on T/V..USGA should be ashamed of what they have done to this great event!

In America, we think golf is supposed to be played on

Jun 21, 2015, 10:24 AM

lush green fairways with forced carries over water, bunkers, etc.

Golf courses can be great when firm and fast and where you can actually play different shots. This course may be a bit extreme the way it is set up,but it's not a bad course just because it isn't your typical American fabricated course.

This is 'Merica!

Jun 21, 2015, 12:05 PM

While I dont disagree with the sentiment, I dont like this course for a US Open. PGA championship, ok, but not US Open. I still think its fair and not an unfair test, but I dont think this is a course worthy of a US Open.

It is a bad combination of a strange golf course, in not

Jun 21, 2015, 12:09 PM

great condition, along with other factors that make it hard to watch. Such as, no color on the greens makes it hard for TV viewers to find the ball. The Fox announce crew is marginal at best. They do seem to be making a big effort to show Holly Sonders as much as possible, that is the only thing that makes it bearable. Add in the tricking up the course aspect of changing par on two of the holes from day to day, and the near dirt nature of the greens, and it is no fun for viewers or players. I hope this is one and done as far as the US Open ever returning to this course. We already have one British Open, we don't need another one. And, even the British Open greens are typically better than this. The one aspect I really don't understand is the fact that an obvious conscious decision was made to have no collars at all around the greens.

Jun 21, 2015, 2:40 PM

A friend of my son is at the Tournament and says it is the worst place he
's ever seen to watch a golf tournament! It's a goat lot and the spectators are far too away from the action.

Brutal course...Always that way for The Open.... Severe

Jun 21, 2015, 3:08 PM

Penalty for lack of shot control.

The worst thing about it is that being on Fox they think the Buck dolt has to be commentator for all sports....he's such a waste of clean air....uggh.

I've played the golf course and those of you that have..

Jun 21, 2015, 3:21 PM

called it a goat track have no idea what you are talking about. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and if you look at the Augusta National as the epitome of golf, then you may be likely to not like Chambers Bay. If you think the Scottish and Irish golf courses are the epitome of golf, them you probably appreciate this course. I happen to think that both types of courses are wonderful. A links course, as this one is, is designed and built that way mostly due to the type of land it is but on - linksland - land formed by alluvial sand deposits adjacent to a sea characterized by rolling hills and harsh terrain. By its nature the sand is stabilized by mostly Fescue and native type grasses. Chambers Bay may not have been the classic definition of links land, but because of its proximity to water and having been as sand and gravel pit, the links style of course fit in nicely.

The climate in most areas of the states will not support a course with fine fescue fairways and greens, and tall fescue roughs. For the tall fescue roughs to be the least bit "playable", the cannot receive much water. You want them to be tall, dry, and wispy, so you can find and hit your ball. That is why they do not work here in the southeast.

This post is already too lengthy and I'm not trying to talk anyone into liking something you do not like. I would just say reserve judgement until you haver had the opportunity to play this course or courses in Ireland and Scotland before making up your mind you do not like something you have never tried.

Re: I've played the golf course and those of you that have..

Jun 21, 2015, 3:42 PM

"I happen to think that both types of courses are wonderful. A links course, as this one is, is designed and built that way mostly due to the type of land it is but on - linksland - land formed by alluvial sand deposits adjacent to a sea characterized by rolling hills and harsh terrain. By its nature the sand is stabilized by mostly Fescue and native type grasses. Chambers Bay may not have been the classic definition of links land, but because of its proximity to water and having been as sand and gravel pit, the links style of course fit in nicely."

All well and good - but it is not natural. It is a poorly converted QUARRY.

null

Since you've probably played both - A Question PLEASE

Jun 21, 2015, 3:53 PM [ in reply to I've played the golf course and those of you that have.. ]

Would you care to compare Chambers Bay and the Ocean Course at Kiawah?

Which do you rank higher?

null

Re: Since you've probably played both - A Question PLEASE

Jun 21, 2015, 4:20 PM

I like it , and pinehurst a couple of years ago was in the same way. Its bringing mother nature into play without a bunch of artificial objects and making the golfer play every shot in their bag.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I ilke both of them, but they are so totally different that

Jun 21, 2015, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Since you've probably played both - A Question PLEASE ]

it is difficult to compare them. Although Kiawah is build on sand next to the ocean, it is certainly not links land. The land is not rolling and just about all of the elevation change was built by Pete Dye. Much of the soil there is not a pure sand like links courses, but a mucky soil that you find along the coast of South Carolina - similar to the pluff mud you find in the marshes along the coast. Pete did design into that course some funky elements that he designs into all of his courses, so you can get some funny rolls and bounces. But that course is 419 Bermuda fairways and Paspalum greens, so you will not get the same kind of conditions as on Fescue courses.

I hate rating courses. It is like trying to choose between two beautiful women! Incidentally, I quit calling any golf course a goat track years ago when I visited a little course in the boondocks of North Carolina that was built by local farmers. Some children were swimming in a concrete pool (also probably built by the farmers), and the clubhouse consisted of a concrete block shack. There were a bunch of men (and women) dressed in all sorts of work wear playing golf and just having a ball. At that point, I thought to myself, that their course meant as much to them as the Augusta National meant to their members. Who was I to refer to their facility as a "goat track". Never again!

All that is missing is

Jun 21, 2015, 7:33 PM [ in reply to I've played the golf course and those of you that have.. ]

The windmill and clowns mouth

This is pure mickey mouse golf that rewards luck way to much

Better suited for dirt bike races in the X- games!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All that is missing is

Jun 21, 2015, 8:01 PM

Well fowler didn't do so well for a dirt bike track.

Isn't it a coincidence that the best player has...

Jun 21, 2015, 10:37 PM [ in reply to All that is missing is ]

turned out to be the luckiest, I guess you would rather see a parkland golf course with fairways cut to 60' wide and the rough grown up to 4" just like they have done forever for the Open. Quite frankly, this is much more interesting.

I believe once the USGA saw some of the scores that

Jun 22, 2015, 7:14 AM

the pros were shooting in preparation rounds early on (weeks ahead), they realized they had to trick up the course somehow to preserve their precious "par". So, the greens became the sacrificial lamb it took to do it. Even heard the announcers say that "a couple of weeks ago, the course was lush and green!" The US Open has always tried (too hard, IMO) to reward straight driving and greens in regulation. The wizardry of short game shots, recovery shots, and great par saving putting is often taken away in an Open. A friend of mine told me a long time ago, "there ain't no narrative description box on the scorecard, all they want is a number." The oft quoted tripe about "the course plays the same for everyone" could not be more wrong. A bomber like Dustin Johnson plays a totally different course than a short game dependent pro like Zach Johnson. So, when the greens are not rolling true, which could easily be seen this week, especially yesterday, the results are even more skewed toward greens in regulation being the number one overriding key to success. I happen to think that seeing someone hit every fairway and every green is just about too boring a golf telecast to watch, but that's just me.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic