Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chad Morris – call plays from coaches/"press" box?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Chad Morris – call plays from coaches/"press" box?

Oct 17, 2012, 11:01 PM

Has anyone heard Chard Morris explain why he prefers to call plays from the sideline as opposed to the coaches box with an aerial view (like most of our previous offensive coordinators)? I am certainly not questioning what he does – just curious why that is his preference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think theres an emotional component between the player

Oct 17, 2012, 11:06 PM

and the coach that can only be affected if the coach is on the field interacting with the team. He can keep them motivated and correct them when they make mistakes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think theres an emotional component between the player

Oct 17, 2012, 11:20 PM

What do you know coot?

Says the poster with a 19% pulse***

Oct 17, 2012, 11:23 PM

Re: I think theres an emotional component between the player

Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 PM [ in reply to I think theres an emotional component between the player ]

Makes sense to have the OC on the field.

Re: Chad Morris – call plays from coaches/"press" box?

Oct 17, 2012, 11:06 PM

He likes to be able to talk to his QB and rally the troops. Reasonable tradeoff for not being able to see the field as well. He's probably got GAs and other coaches tellin' him what they see on the field. He just calls the plays and coaches up the players.

seems like i read some where..

Oct 17, 2012, 11:07 PM

he said he is a hands on coach.he likes to be on the side lines when they come off the field so he can hear from them what the defense is doing.see sammy watkings against fsu last year.he is the one who mentioned to morris about the hitch and go based on what he saw on the field

Agreed he relys on the feedback of the players.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:56 PM

Read somewhere also that he asks the OL first what they see. Good to see he's going to the guys in the trenches.

Simple reason: Our offense dictates what the opposing D does

Oct 17, 2012, 11:23 PM

The only reason you need that aerial view is if you aren't sure what to call and want to "take what the defense gives you". We don't do that. We dictate what the defense does by how we line up, how many receivers are on the field, how we motion before the snap, etc.

Oct 17, 2012, 11:39 PM

Could be his high school years where he was calling plays from the sideline. This is where he is comfortable.

^^^This is the main reason. At least in one of the game

Oct 18, 2012, 7:56 AM

telecasts the announcers said he's on the sidelines because that's where he started in high school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Never have been a fan of an OC or DC being in the booth,

Oct 18, 2012, 8:06 AM

as I believe being on the sidelines gives them a greater feel for the battle, so to speak. It, also, allows for a hands-on approach with their subordinates and with the team. Glad to see both Morris and Venables out in front.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he has also said in a few interviews

Oct 18, 2012, 9:57 AM [ in reply to ^^^This is the main reason. At least in one of the game ]

he likes to be able to talk to his QB in person rather than through a headset or phone. He likes to have in person discussions with the offense.

He also said he can get a better feel for the game on the sideline.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Probably has a lot to do with his comfort level in High

Oct 18, 2012, 3:33 AM

School coaching.

Oct 18, 2012, 3:57 AM

Because he has trust in the guys in the box. Those guys are instrumental to our success. They read the D, then radio Chad the info. He then calls the play, based on what those guys are seeing

Go Tigers

Re: Chad Morris – call plays from coaches/"press" box?***

Oct 18, 2012, 8:13 AM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic