Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chad Morris at Arkansas
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 3,800

Chad Morris at Arkansas

Sep 25, 2019, 8:54 AM

Some people are shocked that he hasnt hit the ground running or doubt they always doubted him. Either way, it is wayyy too early to judge. He inherited a mess and there are no miracles happening without the right talent and culture in place. He needs 4 to 5 years to even have a solid feel to where that program.is going. Anyway, even the 2nd best coach of all times has had issues.

https://firenicksaban.com/2013/12/the-25-most-humiliating-defeats-of-nick-sabans-coaching-career/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chad Morris at Arkansas

Sep 25, 2019, 9:02 AM

Unfortunately, Chad Morris is having to rebuild Arkansas in the hardest division in all of college football. The rebuild is similar to what Geoff Collins has in front of him at Georgia Tech, except, Morris has a much more difficult schedule. He inherited a team that was vastly different, offensively, than his own philosophy. It is unfortunate that they have lost to teams like North Texas and San Jose State. That leaves the fanbase would zero hope. I wouldn't be surprised if he is fired by the end of the year. Looking at their schedule, it's hard to imagine them winning 4 games. Sucks for him. Terrible situation from the beginning though.

Sep 25, 2019, 9:07 AM

I think he will get another year for sure.

Sep 25, 2019, 9:08 AM

Same way it was @ SMU. 1st yr. 1-7, 2nd yr. 3-5, his last yr. 4-4. It's gonna take time.(if he has it)

Sep 25, 2019, 9:09 AM

There might be a problem since he's never stayed at one place very long in his nine-stop coaching career.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 25, 2019, 9:16 AM

He always upgraded though probably. Where would he get a better option than Ark after this season?

The wide open SEC east in fertile recruiting grounds

Sep 25, 2019, 9:19 AM

Maybe even FSU

Sep 25, 2019, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad Morris at Arkansas ]

My point is that he won't stay in one place long enough to establish a culture or any continuity and therein lies his problem. He was building something at SMU but couldn't wait long enough to reap all of the rewards (which could have meant the next job would have been more prestigious than Arkansas). Personally, I hope he can put it all together and stay at Arkansas for a while. I just have doubts.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 25, 2019, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad Morris at Arkansas ]

He went from being the OC at Tulsa to being the OC at Clemson where he stayed for 4 years. Then he took a head coaching job at SMU, and then landed a job as a head coach in the SEC. Each time he's left has been an upgrade in position, so I don't think it's fair to label him as a jumper.

Sep 25, 2019, 9:28 AM

Remember how many years we held our breath while he was interviewing for head coaching jobs?

--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 25, 2019, 9:42 AM

Yeah, but the dude wanted to be a head coach. I think we easily forget how lucky we've been to not have much coaching turnover with our staff over the past several years. Many assistants are always looking for that next step up, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I appreciate and respect the heck out of the guys on our current staff who have stayed instead of settling for the first job offer that comes up, but I also know that's not the norm.

Sep 25, 2019, 9:51 AM

I'm not slamming Chad for wanting to be a head coach or anything else. Just think he's not doing himself any favors. Hope he proves me wrong.

--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 25, 2019, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Chad Morris at Arkansas ]

Just to give a few comparisons.

Tony Elliott was the WR coach at SC State for 2 years, and then left for Furman were he was the WR coach for 3 years before he left to come to Clemson. He's had 1 fewer job in college coaching than Morris has had.

Streeter is also on his 3rd coaching job.

Kirby Smart coached at 6 different places before he became the DC at Alabama where he stayed for awhile before taking the HC job at UGA.

There are many more examples of course, but it's certainly not uncommon for coaches to jump around and take the best opportunities while trying to move up.

Bigger concern is coaching decisions

Sep 25, 2019, 9:10 AM

that last game was filled with incredibly poor coaching decisions that had nothing to do with talent on the field. Poor clock management, wrong personnel sent onto the field (3 times) and being predictable. 82% of his first and second downs were up the middle.... with one of the worst OLs in the conference, leaving them with 3rd and long every series. It was truly hard to watch.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Sep 25, 2019, 9:27 AM

I'm pulling for him to do well there, but it's hard to make excuses for losing by 27 points to North Texas, and then losing to San Jose State in year 2. Things were left bad for him, but surely he had enough talent on the roster to pull out those wins.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, but Dabo went 6-7 in his 2nd year which was a big disappointment. However, 5 of those losses were by less than 10 points, and 5 were by 6 points or less. The team struggled, and Dabo had to turn things around, but at least he was able to put out a competitive product on the field.

Sep 25, 2019, 9:42 AM

The difference is that Dabo inherited a pre-season top-10 team. Not a complete team but enough pieces to go 9 wins. Even then, Dabo was able to keep some -no all- of the recruiting focus going since he was the power behind that.

Morris inherited a 4-8 team on a very downward trajectory. At best, pre-Morris Arky was a .500 team performing at about .500. Arky is about that 2-4 win team talent wise. Lets be honest, Tennessee has had more success than Bielema's Arky in the years before Morris.

Sep 25, 2019, 9:46 AM

I agree with what you're saying. I'm not saying he should be putting together winning seasons at this point or anything. I just feel he should at least not be getting blown out by North Texas, losing to San Jose State, and barely beating Portland State. Basically, you'd like to see some progress this year even if the win/loss record isn't impressive.

it takes minimum 4-5 years to completely change philosophy..

Sep 25, 2019, 9:57 AM

and personnel of a "line it up and run it"/wisconsin style offense to an up tempo spread.

may take even longer in the SEC West...........he needs time to get them respectable.

Arky was a bad choice...

Sep 25, 2019, 10:11 AM

There are some programs to stay away from. South Carolina is one. With how powerful the SEC West is, Arky has no chance of being competitive in recruiting. It will always be 2-3 star guys against 4-5 star guys.

His impatiatience to be at a power 5 program will be his downfall. Another few years a SMU being a consistent winning program would have afforded him more time to find a P5 school that has a competitive chance.

Also, I think he wanted to stay in the Texarkana region of the country which limits available options.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Replies: 18
| visibility 3,800
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic