Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Censorship: A rightie or a leftie problem?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Censorship: A rightie or a leftie problem?

May 9, 2016, 6:15 PM

It's been posited by a few P&R brain trusts that only liberals and the left engage in censorship.

You know the song and dance. People foolishly treat politics like their football team, and just like a fervent fan of a college team, they think only their rival commits atrocities while their squad is comprised of little angels.

So let's defer to someone who knows a lot about this stuff. In other words, me. Leftist as I am socially, I'm about as much of a free speech absolutist as they come, and I have to engage in this issue regularly in the real world.

And yes, I have the answer as to which side embraces censorship: the extreme left or the extreme right. You ready?

Are you sure?

They both do. Because they're extremists. It's a question as to what they want censored.

Of course communist and extreme leftist regimes engage in censorship. Extremists who crave power rarely want dissenting opinions. But they don't have to be people in power, either. We see leftists push for campus speech codes, "safe zones", and try to shout down or ban conservative speakers. Why? Simple. Immature, small minds can't handle dissenting opinions.

But that knife cuts both ways. It was only a few years ago when some of our local P&R monkeys, long since having retreated to their own message board, called for use of the Sedition Acts for any American who opposed the Iraq war. Or called for charges of treason for those who spoke out against Pres. Bush. Or just called for some retaliation in general to those who opposed their viewpoints. Again, small minds that can't handle opinions different from theirs.

Even their darling Bush said there should be "limits to freedom" in response to a cartoon that made fun of him snorting coke... which, you know, he did.

So who is the greater offender? Conservatives or liberals? I argue we can't truly measure that. Idiots reside on both sides of the aisle, and extremists + small minds will always push for the suppression of speech. Where a conservative wants to ban a book with ideas they aren't comfortable with, a liberal wants to ban a right-wing speaker at his college campus. Cataloging all the extremist morons on each side will be almost as tough as putting two of each animal on a boat.

Thus, it's an equally moronic statement to claim one side is an offender of censorship while turning a blind eye to their own side. Like people who are racist, I've found that people who censor content will never admit they're censoring it. They'll come up with some fancy explanation to justify their actions.

Usually that word is "inappropriate"... as if their definition of inappropriate supersedes everyone else's.

But for our wtrski... I mean, pawsnation and xtiger folks, here's some proof that your side is just as guilty. And in the case of book banning, your side is the greater offender.

http://www.theharrispoll.com/health-and-life/Censorship_2015.html

So, here's what you do. Don't be a small-minded extremist moron and don't try to censor content. And don't be so childish and naive as to think people on both ends of the political spectrum don't commit this sin.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Censorship: A rightie or a leftie problem?

May 9, 2016, 6:18 PM

Yep, it's both sides.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Censorship: A rightie or a leftie problem?

May 9, 2016, 6:30 PM

It's not a political issue. It's a human issue.

Everyone does it, and that's ok, but it's only an issue when the Government tries to do it, no matter which side of the aisle the shots are fired from.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Word.***

May 9, 2016, 6:31 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

but yet you are OK with the "safe spaces"?

May 9, 2016, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Censorship: A rightie or a leftie problem? ]

intredasting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: but yet you are OK with the "safe spaces"?

May 10, 2016, 4:08 AM

I may disagree with their use, but I also recognize they are a constitutionally protected method of speech and protecting speech.

Again, through our discussion in the other thread, you attributed an opinion to me without any basis.

Which government?

May 9, 2016, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Censorship: A rightie or a leftie problem? ]

For instance: let's say the people in a certain locality have certain values (like they want their children to be taught that saving the environment is incredibly important), but the federal government insists that their children be taught a curriculum the devalues what they care about, or that undermines those values (for instance, by having children be taught that capitalistic values are the most important). The locality might move to ban the books the federal government wants taught, and to have different books taught in their place. They might ban those books from elementary school libraries, but allow them in general public libraries or just allow them to be sold.

Or, imagine somebody's written a book all about how to murder people and get away with it and how to make bombs and plant them in place that will kill as many people as possible. Is that something you'd allow a librarian to have available at your local public library? Why should a librarian, who's basically a bureaucrat with no responsibility to the people they serve, decide what book are available?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which government?

May 10, 2016, 3:58 AM

Local tests have been abandoned for such things for the reasons you stated. See the history of obscenity law.

As for the books: The words and knowledge regarding such subjects should not be held criminal, and their publishing should not be outlawed. As to whether the local library carrying such a book, an order by the government to carry a book would be compelling speech, and therefore unconstitutional. A local library choosing or not to carry such a book would also be protected government speech. A local librarian is an agent of the government, and with such powers is enabled to speak for the local government.

Was the book you were talking about the Bible?

Both of those issues are well settled issues of constitutional law.

And in the librarian issue...if you don't want the book there, you are free to expertise that expression in any way you see fit. You can protest, you can write a letter to te librarian, you can write a letter to your local paper, you can request that the library not receive funding, or you can choose not to patronize the library or any other thing you want to do. What you don't have is the right to make them bend to your point of view.

Great question. Scarecrow answered it best, imo.***

May 9, 2016, 7:19 PM

Who said censorship was something only lefties do?

May 9, 2016, 11:31 PM

I don't remember that. But even the Supreme Court recognizes that there are reasons to censor some things, including obscenity. Just as there are extremists on every side of every issue, there are anti-censorship extremists whose views are just as simplistic as the people who want to ban everything that makes them uncomfortable.

For instance, while it's a good rule of thumb not to ban books, I think everybody can agree that there are certain books that really are inappropriate for an elementary school library. Or, I think we can agree that public libraries don't need to carry books advocating pedophilia or race war. But "appropriateness" requires something more than abstract principles like "never ban books" or "ban all books with explicit sexual material, or racially controversial material, or books written from an explicitly Christian perspective."

To strike a really moderate tone on censorship, I think we need to acknowledge that a democratic society is one where we depend on people being educated into the virtues. But that means you don't just teach any old book, or any old subject, or any old way of thinking about a particular subject. Probably the best tack is to present unavoidable authors or subjects in a context that allows for comparison with better ideas. But that also requires educators to take a certain point of view, and we've seen time and again that educators will generally take a the leftist point of view in either the less obvious way of designing curriculum at the lower levels or in taking over entire departments (or creating new ones with progressive politics tied into the subject) in universities. So, then, do you allow for more local control of education? And couldn't that actually lead to more censorship? Or would it just lead to different censorship than the more insidious form we have now (where liberal ideology hides behind a claim to being objective)?

I don't think there's any final answer to the question of censorship, because it ultimately ties back into questions about education. And those questions about education are fundamentally political in a democratic society.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You didn't see the thread below?

May 10, 2016, 7:58 AM

And xtiger, of course.

You make very good points. When we talk book banning, I think the main concern/focus is on high school books and other arenas of higher learning. Even JHop pretty much stated he would bar The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from high schools.

But ultimately, my main point is that both sides of the political spectrum have extremists who want to stifle viewpoints they don't like rather than challenge them and discuss them.

Re: You didn't see the thread below?

May 10, 2016, 9:16 AM

Ban Huckleberry Finn? I missed that one. What the heck is wrong with Huckleberry?

Didn't we all have to do book reports on that particular book or am I just older than y'all?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He said anything that had...

May 10, 2016, 9:22 AM

The N-word in it shouldn't be in high school, referring to the thread about the teacher showing Glory. Of course, that would ban Huck Finn as a result. Think that would also knock out Of Mice and Men as well.

Re: He said anything that had...

May 10, 2016, 9:25 AM

LOL

I did miss that, my bad

May 10, 2016, 10:16 AM [ in reply to You didn't see the thread below? ]

I can agree with all that. I guess I think that's a good description of who wants to ban stuff now. But when banning was still really a widespread phenomenon, it was largely the more moderate elements trying to ban things they thought were extreme. I also find that interesting.

The side I don't like is the one who does all the

May 10, 2016, 9:12 AM

wrong things. Duh.

Neither. It's a government problem.***

May 10, 2016, 10:54 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Yep both.**

May 10, 2016, 12:42 PM

nm